Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

The Official Unofficial Allspark Transgender Thread: Everyone is welcome!

transgender gender identity

2598 replies to this topic

#1 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

EDIT (5/12/2016): Just want to make a disclaimer that some of the information and ideas about gender I presented in the early posts in this thread are out of date, and frankly, embarrassing to me. ( > . < ) (like I think I spoke of gender and sex as separate concepts, which is such a gender 101 shortcut, bleh)
So feel free to use this info as a base of you want, but after that I'd say to seek out more complete and updated resources out there! (tumblr has tons lol)

That's that. :)

ORIGINAL TEXT:
I've had the idea for a thread like this for a while and after all the trans related discussion in the Botcon superthread I thought now would be a good time.
So here we are!
This thread exists as a place for transgender and cisgender Allsparkers alike to discuss transgender topics, including the basics, transition stuff, amd whatever comes to mind really.
What this thread needs to stay away from is religion and politics, be it pro-transgender individuals or against them. There's a subforum for stuff like that!

I figure the best way to start is to just sort of talk about who I am, what I'm going through right now, stuff like that.
I've been on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for 6 months now. (I've identified as female for a long time, and have been living part time as a woman sine 2006-ish... I'll have to share more about all that another time) So, HRT is an integral part of transitioning for most trans people, and is what causes the body to change into something that is more congruent with our sense of self. What trans women such as myself take are an estrogen and a testosterone blocker. I'm taking a bioidentical estrogen, which is basically the same chemical as the hormones that cisgender women make, but created in a lab. Science!
Ok, so basically after this long the changes that are happening to my body are pretty apparent, which is cool. It's often described as a second puberty and that's the truest way I can describe it. It's wonderful, but sometimes awkward. And just like puberty it takes time for all the changes to take full effect.
And what changes are that, you might ask? Well all the secondary sex characteristics: breasts, more fat on the hips/thighs/butt, softer skin, thicker head hair, body hair turns vellus,etc. A trans woman's body odor changes as well, becoming more, um, feminine. And there's changes in the pheremones too. Basically HRT makes a lot of changes to the body (the way hormones control the body is fascinating!) Things that don't change are bone structure, facial hair, and voice, although if a trans girl transitions before puberty or during it voice deepening, beards, and bone growth can be avoided!
Oh, and the HRT also changes the libido and stops spontaneous erections. Which is very convenient, lol

There are also mental changes but those are much harder to quantify... It's hard to judge what are actual changes and what is from having a body that better fits the mind. But both happen.

I feel like there are a million other things I want to discuss, but I guess just discussing the physical aspects ia enough to begin with.
Please everyone join in with you question, insights, stories, whatever! Whether you are trans yourself, or a supporter, or just curious, let's make this thread a fun and interesting place!

Edited by Kira Kira, 12 May 2016 - 02:13 PM.

Looking for Combiner Hunters Chromia and Arcee! If you can help plz pm me

My Amazon wish list~! http://a.co/4lE2Xrw

#2 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

I admit I've always been curious about the facial hair thing. Ever since I heard it still grows after HRT I gained a lot of respect for my trans friends' ability to make it all dissappear so cleanly, considering how my male friends seem to suddenly bush up in 48 hours.

PM me if you're bored!

#3 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

Usually a girl will get laser hair removal or electrolysis at some point, unless she wants to keep shaving forever. Until then it's shaving, make up, and luck!

#4 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

Oh right, silly me.

Laser isn't 100% though is it, it leaves about 20% of hair follicles or something.

PM me if you're bored!

#5 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

Yeah, it takes multiple treatments over time I hear...
Eventually the hair gives up, I guess? Ha.

Edited by Kira Kira, 01 July 2014 - 11:54 PM.

#6 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

I don't have questions at the moment because I'm exhausted but I am so very glad you've started this. I want to learn more and I hope others feel the same.

Oh, here's a question: Do you listen to Keith and The Girl?

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#7 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

Thanks! I hope everyone does too.

And nope, I had to look them up. Should I be listening?

#8 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51922 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

Something I've not quite grasped is the whole "transgender" thing.

I used to think there were two sexes. Male and Female. A transgender person was someone transitioning either from Male-to-Female or Female-to-Male. Is this not the case? Is a Transgender person someone who simply isn't their born sex even if they don't decide to have therapy or so on to transition?

card-strongarm.jpg

#9 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

The Girl, Chemda, is engaged to a Transgender man named Lauren. It's different int hat he is still outwardly female but identifies male, keeping his birth name and all. Listening to him on the podcast helped me understand things I didn't know existed like phantom feelings of body parts that aren't there and never have been.

They do an amazing show and are very informative on a great many things, especially gender issues.

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#10 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 27467 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

I used to think there were two sexes. Male and Female. A transgender person was someone transitioning either from Male-to-Female or Female-to-Male. Is this not the case? Is a Transgender person someone who simply isn't their born sex even if they don't decide to have therapy or so on to transition?

Basically a transgender person is anyone who's gender identity or gender expression doesn't match someone's assigned sex based upon their physical parts.

So for example, I'm transgender because I identify as a female even though I'm 100% biologically male and haven't started HRT or anything.

Or someone who is biologically female but identifies as both male and female would be transgender as well.

And other things too.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#11 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

You're basically right (although there are other less common sexes, like intersex people)... The physical change isn't what makes a person transgender, but rather their identifying as a different sex than they were born. That's why sometimes people use transsexual to refer to a transgender person who is actually transition and changing their bodies and such. Even trans people tend to muddle those two terms at times so I hope you don't mind that I don't delve into the nuances.
But in general if someone says they are transgender it's usually safe to assume they want to transition at some point.

The Girl, Chemda, is engaged to a Transgender man named Lauren. It's different int hat he is still outwardly female but identifies male, keeping his birth name and all. Listening to him on the podcast helped me understand things I didn't know existed like phantom feelings of body parts that aren't there and never have been.

They do an amazing show and are very informative on a great many things, especially gender issues.

Oh, wow that's cool. Especially to have a unique transgender POV.
Honestly I couldn't see doing what Lauren is doing (or not doing), but more power to him!

#12 Aida Mana-Sue

Aida Mana-Sue

It can be helped!

• Citizen
  • 2622 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

I'm neutrois (Still feels weird to type) and I was born with a male body. Growing up, I never really enjoyed male company (Apart from my best friend, who I fell in love with) and I always felt uncomfortable being told I had to be more masculine or fit in with the 'lads'.

I'd never really seriously questioned my gender identity until a few years ago when II made a few transgender friends I have the utmost respect for (My sexual identity I'd finally figured out a few years previous). Once I'd started questioning, though, I wasn't able to stop. I feel unhappy in my body a lot of the time, but I've never really considered HRT. I actually feel a bit uncomfortable typing this (And talking about my own LGBT issues in general) because I trivialize my own gender identity and believe it's just not worth talking about compared to friends who have gender dysphoria so bad they suffer from chronic depression. I know it's actually counterproductive to think like that, but I really do worry that my issues are 'silly' in comparison.

I also worry/think I prefer thinking of myself as female compared to male because that's simply further from where I started. That I might be having these same issues from the opposite perspective if I was born with a female body.

I'm sorry I don't really have anything to add to the thread at the moment, but I've always been very interested in learning more about LGBT culture and people, so I'll be following and see if I can contribute.

I prefer the personal pronoun 'She' (Non binary pronouns are just not for me) but I'm so used to 'He' that really it's not a big deal.

So, uh, I hope that made some sense. It's very late and I'm having quite a poorly night.

W4Zt8zo.jpg

#13 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for sharing, especially since you feel uncomfortable about it. I know it's hard to work through tough stuff like that but it's almost always worth it!

I don't think you should feel bad just because your friends feel the dysphoria and you aren't. Each of us is different and your identity is just as valid as everyone else's.

#14 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22907 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

I've always felt uncomfortable in my own body, but it wasn't until around fall last year that I fully realized that I'm trans. (thanks, Kira, by the way, you were a big help in letting myself realizing that.) I haven't gotten on HRT yet or told my parents, because I'm scared they won't accept me for who I am (I live with a bunch of fundies), but I've slowly been coming out to my friends and at least one of my family members (My aunt). And they've helped me when I've been depressed, and my aunt said she'd be able to be there to back me up for when I'm going to tell my parents. I'm kinda hoping to come out somewhere in the next year, and I'm ready to get rid of this stupid body as soon as possible, but I'm still kind of nervous.

Anyway, that's my brief history. I'm kinda tired right now, and I don't have anything else to say that Kira and others haven't said already, but I'll be sure to chime in on any questions or anything.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#15 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

You're welcome kiddo! ( > u ^ )
I like playing big sister/mother, so I like to help when I can.

It's really huge that you have someone like an aunt on your side. That should really help when you come out to the 'rents! Any support is good, but a family member of a similar age to them is def going to make them realize that this isn't just some joke or fad to you, and who you see and something you need to do.

I think everyone in this thread is tired and should be sleeping, me including me. Ha.

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7155 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

I think this thread is really, really fantastic because this is an important issue that so many people are just completely unaware of. There are so many people out there who just don't know this is a thing, and who innocently say hurtful or ignorant things not out of prejudice but just because they don't understand.

I'm terrified of gender politics of all varieties because even the simplest aspects can be hugely complex and subjective, and I just don't feel qualified to participate in discussions about that stuff. I think I'm slightly more educated than many because I have a close friend who's a trans woman, and seeing her courage on the path towards transition has been an inspiration and a privilege. But one of the main things I've learned is that human identity is so much more complex than most people realise and there's always more to learn.

Any endeavour that spreads information and fosters understanding is a wonderful thing.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#17 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

I don't think I've ever been happier to see a thread title before.

This is a great topic, and I love that already it's clear that there is a hell of a lot of love and support for you all.

#18 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:26 AM

I've struggled with gender issues myself, though I've come to the conclusion I'm male enough to not bother changing my body. I'm also dating a transwoman, and have an unexpectedly high number of trans friends. All in all, I don't have too much to learn I feel, but I'm VERY glad this thread is here! :)

#19 FortMax

FortMax

Not Cybertron Metroplex or Mudflap

• Supporter
  • 4894 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

I figured out I was trans just over two weeks ago. It feels like my subconscious has known for at least 15 years, though. I remember having If I Had Animorph Powers daydreams that often ended with me getting stuck in a girl form.
QUOTE(Hasbro)
Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

TbtA3Ye.jpg
Buy my Mini-Pla Goseiger Candy Toy Zords!

#20 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Kira,

You said that you only live as a female PT. Are there outside social or professional factors that prevent you from living as your actual gender FT?

If not, living only PT just seems like crossdressing to me since you haven't completely rejected living as your physical sex and seems contrary to what I know about transgenderism.

If this is getting too personal, just let me know.

-SS

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transgender, gender, identity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users