Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2018 - 02:22 PM)

My Little Fusion Cannon: Friendship Through Tyranny.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 June 2018 - 02:01 PM)

was that supposed to sound sexual

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 01:55 PM)

I'm pretty sure that megatrons cannon is his best friend, so that friendship is magic stuff won't work.

@  MEDdMI : (19 June 2018 - 01:16 PM)

And then the magic ponies force everyone to be friends FOREVERRRRRRR

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 12:06 PM)

Or... megatron just goes to war against skynet cause he can't stand the competition.

@  Otaku : (19 June 2018 - 10:53 AM)

As for Megatron vs Skynet... Shockwave decides to partner with Skynet and oust Megatron after first contact is made. We get Terminator/Vehicon hybrids. At first the humans are expedient pawns (why waste loyal Decepticons), then enough humans augmented with Cybertronian tech impress Megs that, after victory, humanity is absorbed into the Decepticon empire. Even if only as second or third class citizens, it still beats being seen as vermin by Skynet.

@  Otaku : (19 June 2018 - 10:51 AM)

Like I said, it is a nitpick; it makes sense, I'd just like to see a "regular" Earth setting where the 'cons take a stealthier approach to things - maybe because the Autobots are a better check against them and so they play the heroes. I mean, they could use various means to take being a sort of M.A.S.K. meets Power Rangers style team. ;)

@  Otaku : (19 June 2018 - 10:45 AM)

@Nevermore Works well enough for me. If I had to nitpick, I think there are actually two different stories being forced together. A "Thunderbolts" style story with the Decepticons doesn't need Skynet... and Megatron liberating the humans from Skynet doesn't need the subterfuge, at least for long.

@  unluckiness : (19 June 2018 - 08:33 AM)

I can dig it

@  unluckiness : (19 June 2018 - 08:21 AM)

So Thunderbolts with giant robots?

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:22 PM)

Thundercracker, in particular.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:21 PM)

Some of the Decepticons start to really enjoy being the good guys. Well, they enjoy the act, at least. They find fulfillment in their assumed personas.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:20 PM)

Except SHockwave eventually betrays his teammates and teams up with Skynet.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:20 PM)

Starscream becomes the young, eager Nightscream, and so on.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:19 PM)

Megatron becomes the noble Megabolt, taking cues from Beast Wars Silverbolt.

A Thunderbolts-esque masquerade.

In order to do so, the Decepticons pretend to be the good guys and take on different personas.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:18 PM)

So Megatron decides that hey, the Autobots are stillback on Cybertron, so why not team up with the humans, defeat Skynet, then double-cross the humans?

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:17 PM)

Unfortunately, the Skynet/humans war is already going on, and Skynet is evolving rapidly.

The Decepticons discover Earth and want to plunder its resources.

It would have a really crazy twist:

I've had this crazy idea for a Transformers/Terminator crossover for years.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 June 2018 - 05:20 PM)

Specifically I'd like to see Skynet's army rise up against him (he did refer to them as an "army of slaves" in Genisys), or even perhaps a peace-minded iteration of Skynet that's existed in a humanoid form long enough to gain some compassion for the human point of view

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 June 2018 - 05:19 PM)

A peaceful resolution would be satisfying for me (it's the only resolution possible in The Matrix series, too), but I think the majority of Terminator fans would walk out think WTF?

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 June 2018 - 05:15 PM)

I liked Clarke as Sarah as well, although I read a lot of complaints online that she looked too young, but I thought she was pretty badass.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 June 2018 - 05:11 PM)

I think across these movies, there's a very compelling story about a progressive temporal arms race driven by mutual fear in which Judgement Day keeps getting pushed back, which only gives both sides more time for technological development, and the only true resolution to it is cooperation. But cooperation will never come about because each side fears being wiped out by the other.

@  Paladin : (18 June 2018 - 05:05 PM)

Genisys basically made Sara Connors' entire motivation in stopping judgement day stem from not wanting to sleep with Jai Courtney. and really, can you blame her?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 June 2018 - 03:52 PM)

I'll give Genisys another thing, Emilia Clarke made a damn good Linda Hamilton. (As for Jai Courtney looking nothing like Michael Biehn, that just supports my theory that it's not always the same "Kyle Reese" sent back which would explain why John Connor looks different in almost every movie.)

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2018 - 02:54 PM)

I'm not, I'm lost in music.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 June 2018 - 12:59 PM)

What, again?

@  2018 : (18 June 2018 - 06:33 AM)

It's a time warp. We're trapped in the past.

@  Pennpenn : (18 June 2018 - 05:44 AM)

A rick roll? Really?

@  Waspinator : (17 June 2018 - 11:03 PM)

On the subject of a Mega Man movie

@  Msol : (17 June 2018 - 04:47 PM)

Man I really wish Slash was blue instead of red. Swoop looks off as the only blue one. What a missed opportunity!

@  Otaku : (17 June 2018 - 04:23 PM)

@Bass X0 So, getting back to Mega Man as a movie and smart-aleck answers, wouldn't Astroboy (2009) count? ;) Otherwise, I'm torn; part of me is glad they haven't tried given Hollywood's track record.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2018 - 01:52 PM)

and some TV show...

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2018 - 01:35 PM)

John Connor?! John Connor! JOHN CONNORRRRR!!!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2018 - 12:26 PM)

Pretty sure that's what happened to John Connor in that last one

@  MEDdMI : (17 June 2018 - 12:17 PM)

you eat them.... THEY EAY YOU

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2018 - 11:57 AM)

Nanomachines, son!

@  MEDdMI : (17 June 2018 - 11:49 AM)

@Nevermore Rice of fhe Macheens: taking over the world with evil robots the size of rice grains.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2018 - 11:36 AM)

It eventually goes off the rails, but the bones of an interesting story are there. I enjoyed it more than Rise of the Machines or Salvation

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2018 - 11:26 AM)

There was Genysis, Jujjmend Dae, Salvayshon and Rice of the Macheens, or something.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2018 - 11:25 AM)

I actually re-watched Genisys the other day, and I'll give it one thing. The beginning of the movie with the pre-Terminator 1 future scenes all looked really fantastic.

@  Xellos : (17 June 2018 - 11:08 AM)

Five, actually, with a sixth in development. Varying degrees of cannonicity between them, though.

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2018 - 07:59 AM)

There was only two movies, right?

@  Paladin : (17 June 2018 - 07:08 AM)

overall, lousy. there's one great one, one pretty good one and everything else under that brand sucks.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 June 2018 - 06:52 AM)

uuuhhh, what do you think the terminator movies are?

@  Bass X0 : (17 June 2018 - 06:35 AM)

Why has Mega Man never been given a Hollywood movie?

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2018 - 04:32 AM)

Considering at least half our workforce is not of "German" descent, racism should really have no place at our workplace.

Photo

The Future of the DC Film Universe

1001 replies to this topic

#1 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

Grain of salt time, folks!

via: http://nikkifinke.com/comic-con/

We know that Warner Bros Pictures is way behind Marvel Studios when it comes to making movies out of its comic book properties. But I have intel on what is coming up at this July’s  Comic-Con from the studio. A lot of stuff remains in flux  but my sources have so far:

May 2016 – Batman v Superman
July 2016 – Shazam
Xmas 2016 – Sandman
May 2017 – Justice League
July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

There had been talk of a Metal Men and Suicide Squad movie for sometime in 2016 but that project fell off the schedule.

Awesome "inside sources" aside, it looks like a pretty full slate for Warner, with three movies each year. Too much product too fast? Where is the solo Batman film? Are they shoehorning Sandman into the DCFU, when he really has no place being there? Will anyone actually go see a Flash v. Green Lantern movie?

I guess all these questions and more will be answered at Comic Con.... IN July!

#2 unluckiness

unluckiness

THEY'RE IN MAH BELLY

• Apprentice Staff
  • 17067 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Lol. DC-F-U.

Either way that certainly is ambitious but not too out of the ordinary seeing as Marvel has 2 movies a year and they're playing catch up. We'll see I guess.

pDHhVB1.jpg

#3 Random Items

Random Items

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

Lol. DC-F-U.

I was hoping someone would see what I did there.

#4 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 34668 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

I guess all these questions and more will be answered at Comic Con.... IN July!

I'd love to know how you emphasize "in" in "in July"...

B5ofTKU.jpg

#5 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 19633 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

"Iiinnn July."

Or something like that.

Edited by Naas, 13 June 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#6 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14374 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

I love Warner Bros. / DC's new tagline:

DC: Ruining It For Everyone

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 13 June 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Yep.

#7 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Apprentice Staff
  • 6492 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

The Future of the DC Film Universe

trainwreck02.jpg

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#8 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 6160 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Great that there's a Wonder Woman movie I guess, but overall I'm not sure if any of those interest me. 

Not really sure which DC heroes I'd really be interested in seeing a movie of. Maybe Teen Titans?

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 13 June 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#9 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1339 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

For whatever it's worth, a few years ago I had no interest in seeing a movie about Iron Man, and little interest in Thor or Captain America. About the only Marvel characters I did have any real interest at all in were the X-Men, Spider-Man, and the Hulk.

Granted, I'm not ready to make the leap to thinking these will turn out to be as pleasantly surprising, but I'm not ready to discount any of them either.

#10 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 6160 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

I think Green Lantern/Flash has the potential to be cool, but for me it will kind of depend on who is wearing the ring.

#11 Random Items

Random Items

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Barry Allen, because DCFU.

#12 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 8976 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

If a Green Lantern/Flash movie isn't about John Stewart and Wally West, and based primarily on their DCAU versions, then there is no point whatsoever to such a film.

#13 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 34668 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

I'd base the whole thing primarily on the DCAU.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#14 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 6160 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

I'd be up for a Hawkgirl movie, but there's probably the issue of no non-virgins knowing about her like with the Martian Manhunter. :rolleyes

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 13 June 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#15 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

The Hawk what? Martian who?

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#16 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20361 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

At this point, the only DC character I'm really interested in is Lobo. 

#17 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 16556 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

At this point, the only DC character I'm really interested in is Lobo.

Isn't he a sparkly vampire now in the Nu52?

If a Green Lantern/Flash movie isn't about John Stewart and Wally West, and based primarily on their DCAU versions, then there is no point whatsoever to such a film.

I only dislike Barry due to them ditching Wally to bring him back. Though there's elements of the characters that could be added to movie versions of the characters.

The problem with the Nu52 is that it's trying too hard to be gritty and "serious" that they aren't worth being taken seriously anymore. DCAU would be an excellent start but they'll be insistent on using Nu52. Thing is, they really need to take a step back and figure out what actually works. That's probably the biggest shame, the reboot didn't have to be as terrible as it has been.

I see Wonder Woman as "took you long enough". Shazam is a good or terrible choice, pending on how they handle his personality. Aquaman still needs a movie.
Spoiler

#18 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51132 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

The biggest problem with the reboot is "we'll reset numbering to get sales!" is the extent of the thought they put into it.

Turns out you need a smidge more planning.

card-strongarm.jpg

#19 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4003 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

For whatever it's worth, a few years ago I had no interest in seeing a movie about Iron Man, and little interest in Thor or Captain America. About the only Marvel characters I did have any real interest at all in were the X-Men, Spider-Man, and the Hulk.

Granted, I'm not ready to make the leap to thinking these will turn out to be as pleasantly surprising, but I'm not ready to discount any of them either.

In fairness, though, our first pair of Marvel Studio films were Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, and it was the success (critically and financially) that made us interested in MCU as a whole.

DC, on the other hand, has NEVER shown any real vision to such an idea UNTIL Marvel reaped a few billion dollars from their films, and now are trying to "me too" it without half the thought or planning. Hell, Man of Steel wasn't (as far as I know) supposed to be a "universe foundation" until Avengers made a billion dollars and DC realized "oh crap, we got half a dozen heroes here, we need to do our OWN Avengers!" (Which amuses me when one considers the origins of the Avengers in the comic world).

Discounting the Nolan Batman series, I've yet to see ANYTHING from DC to make me particularly optimistic about the future projects.  Most either try WAY too hard to epically epic, copy the grim and realistic Nolan work, or too much world building without guarantee it will pay off.  And the fact Neil Gaiman's Sandman is on tap as a "DC Feature Film" just proves to me that they really don't have a clue to what they are doing (though, I wonder if Shazam and Sandman aren't an attempt to move the DC series into more magic, rather than the cosmic angle Marvel used.  At least until Dr. Strange comes out).

Long and short, they haven't made particularly good stand alone movies, much less "world builders", and nothing they've done has made me change that view.  Marvel has done enough good I'll give Guardians of the Galaxy far more a shot than I'm willing to give Shazaam or Wonder Woman at this stage.

#20 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 16556 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

I think their main problem is less of a lack of an Iron Man and rather a lack of a Blade. While the current connected movie universe started with with IM, Blade is what got Marvel rolling so that they could do Spider Man, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four. As said, DC needs more good standalone movies before their universe sticks and they need to potentially pass off a C or D lister to another studio to help build hype. Outside of animation, there's been an abnormal lack of use of their characters. And it's particularly bad for a few like Wonder Woman who are in a bit of a vicious circle where they wonder why the character has been steadily losing respect even though they don't push the character or only make shortsighted changes.
Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users