Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (16 July 2020 - 09:43 AM)

Circuit-breaker '84, this is Megatron's rubber duck. We've got ourselves a Rodimus Convoy. Do you copy? Over.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 07:06 AM)

I'm not going to sit here and bicker with you. I've made my point very clear and have nothing more to say on the issue.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 07:00 AM)

I can't do anything to prevent hurricanes either but it'd be absurd to suggest I therefore shouldn't talk about them.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:57 AM)

Basically neither you nor I even like South Park anyways so the best you can do is leave it alone rather than suggest it is corrupting hearts and minds.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

In that case I'm... not sure what the point is?

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:53 AM)

Nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. You can't prevent people from doing it. It's an artistic work with fans. I don't think I'm off-track.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:51 AM)

As far as I can tell you just of course'd the thing you were poopooing...

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

Also, this is starting to get a bit too serious for the shoutbox (though it already was)

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

"It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing." Of course, that's South Park's "artistic" style. It's what South Park's audience wants, and that's okay.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

You can probably finish the sentence "I got 50% of my sense of humor from" with the name of some fictional work.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

And it still wouldn't be S.W.A.T.'ss or Grey's Anatomy's or South Park's fault.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

The idea isn't that people are taking South Park's in-universe parody moral lessons seriously (though as Nevermore points out, you can't safely assume that isn't also happening). It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

"People say" those people are right, and you should listen to them. We can't protect people from themselves, but you can advise them well.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:27 AM)

So many medical disasters because someone took what they saw on a hospital show at face value.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:25 AM)

So many people who think police and court procedure works like it does in Hollywood, and act accordingly. Sometimes to their own disadvantage, sometimes just to the frustration of well-meaning authorities.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:24 AM)

People say "you shouldn't take your morals from a TV show" all the time, but regardless of how these people want things to work doesn't mean other people aren't doing it anyways.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:01 AM)

And I mean, if you're looking for a 1950s conservative position on something, it's certainly that a TV show is rotting children's minds.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:00 AM)

Conservatives are not hiding under the bed waiting to ruin... uh... Family Guy of all things? And like, nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. Expecting such things is impractical.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

It was just the cartoon with those foul mouthed kids in the UK until that bubble burst after the movie. Reviewers joked the movies target audience would be unable to see it for the rating.

@  Paladin : (15 July 2020 - 05:14 PM)

see also: "South Park." the show that poisoned a generation by teaching them "it's stupid to feel for other people."

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:04 AM)

'Take that! People who care about things!'

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:02 AM)

With Brian, he stopped being the voice of reason and started to be the right wing notion of a liberal, someone who's lazy, pretentious, doesn't work at anything, is every bit as abusive as the rest of the cast and only wins arguments with strawmen.

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

Of course, I stopped enjoying Family Guy around that time, so my bias is clear. XP

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:54 AM)

Is it because they changed or we changed?  Stuff that was charming, or at least, funny at first can get really annoying the longer you know a person... and I find that can go for fictional characters as well.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

familyguyjar.png

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:45 AM)

One example is Family Guy where around season 8 Brian is suddenly reviled by everyone and has acted way out of character since.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:44 AM)

My least favorite thing in fiction is when it changes hands so you get a author, writer or showrunner who hates a character or messes with a arc/layout.

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I shot the sheriff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:24 PM)

han wasn't even in the movie until later

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:23 PM)

the stormtroopers shot first

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Maclunkey

@  Paladin : (14 July 2020 - 06:18 AM)

the correct answwer to "who shot first" will always be "Harrison Ford if he ever hears that hugging question again."

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 July 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Han shot first. Plain and simple.

@  -LittleAutob... : (13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM)

\(-_-)

@  Bass X0 : (13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM)

"Here's a little---whatever. A little thing. A disclosure. An insight. Revisionism---I've always been fascinated by it. By the idea of a writer going back and altering things. Make no mistake: an edit is a profoundly aggressive act. As Froid once said, we grieve for the murdered word. If you want to get the measure of an author, don't look at what they've left on the page.... look at what they've taken away." -- Rung (MTMTE #28)

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

Photo

Kingdom of Loathing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#21 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

Some of the stuff that occurs south of the border is just... Bizarre.

One of the drops is a Donkey Show Flipbook. Viewing it gives you Complete Sleaze Damage Immunity for ten adventures, because 'That's it, you've seen it all, nothing could POSSIBLY get any lower than that.'
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#22 (Deactivated) RDeLuca

(Deactivated) RDeLuca
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(Nutjob R/T @ Jan 24 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of the stuff that occurs south of the border is just... Bizarre.

One of the drops is a Donkey Show Flipbook. Viewing it gives you Complete Sleaze Damage Immunity for ten adventures, because 'That's it, you've seen it all, nothing could POSSIBLY get any lower than that.'

YEaahhh and you get a crap-loada Chicle gum x-P

#23 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

So I'm 1/8th through what might be the longest quest in the game: The Island war. At least, in the manner in which I'm doing it.

Hippies vs. Frat Orcs. The Kingdom wants to stir up a war between them so that they can clear out the troublemakers in time for vacation season. You disguise yourself as one side or the other, agitate the conflict to open war, and then fight on one side or the other until you slaughter 1000 of one side, effectively bombing them back to the stone age (Literally. As in their instances are populated with Neanderthal versions.)

Around the battlefield are six sub-quest areas. Three are Frat subquests, three are Hippie subquests. If you have a certain number of kills, though, you can complete the subquest disguised as the opposing team, and get better immediate loot for the quest completion. (64, 192, and 458 kills, to unlock said opposing-side subquests.)

Each subquest completed, however, DOUBLES the number of kills you get on the battlefield, when adventuring for the side you completed the subquest for, since you rally extra troops around yourself. Zero Subquests =1 kill per fight, then two, four, eight, sixteen, thirty two, or sixty four kills per fight. (Switching costumes and fighting for the opposing side loses this bonus, though, and you can only complete each subquest for a single side, per ascension.)

Once you kill off a side and the war is over, you get a medal for your efforts. What medal you get depends on how many subquests you completed, and which side was wiped out. These medals give you +5 to all attributes, +1 per subquest completed, and +11% items dropped, -1% per subquest completed. So, seven variants of medals, in two flavours, for fourtteen medals possible.

But the big secret is: If you keep REALLY good track of your kills (cumulative with the bonus kills from your army), and only kill off 999 of BOTH sides, so there's only one left per side... You can trigger a 'Final climactic showdown' event. And if you've saved a Pirate Flare Gun, which calls in a Pirate Cannon Barrage, you wipe out BOTH sides at once. (The pirates are also usually found on the island, but are conspicuously absent. Literally, their instance reads 'Conspicuous absence of pirates' while the war is on.) You then get the fifteenth possible medal, which gives you +11 to all stats, +11% item drops, and +11% meat drops.

The trick is, the game won't blatantly tell you your kill count, so you've got to get real good at record keeping.

Anyhow: You can only wear one of each medal, and each medal takes up one Acessory slot. But on your third ascension, you can theoretically be trotting about with +33 to all stats, +16% item drops, and +11% meat drops from accessories ALONE.

Or +16 stats, +33% item, and +11% meats, or any variant therin.

Noice.

#24 OctopusPrime

OctopusPrime

TOP of the Morning!

• Validating
  • 2374 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

Y'see, I didn't realize that you had to do all the Sidequests as one side or the other in the Hippy/Frat-Orc war in order to get one of the best medals. I thought I was being a little smarty-pants by doing them all with different uniforms. So now that I know better, I'm going for broke and getting one of the awesome medals. When I reach that point again.

And since I'm currently getting my ass kicked in The Defiled Cyrpt [sic], I think I may be quite a ways off from that goal.

Bread is Pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something

#25 (Deactivated) The_Reaper

(Deactivated) The_Reaper
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

Sigh... back to the Ancient Pyramid... (quest 11) evil. Finishing that up and starting hippies after rollover. Hippies all the waaay icon-hotrod.gif or.. uhm... yeah. I'll be going for that. 11% thing

#26 (Deactivated) TVsGrady

(Deactivated) TVsGrady
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

I'm currently this close to undefiling the Cyrpt...anyone got any tips on defeating the Bonerdagon? icon-wildride.gif

#27 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:43 AM

Cheat like a mofo.

Kingdomofbuffing.com

That, and maximize your Moxie. Makes you harder to hit; Get it high enough, and you'll be untouchable. There's an entire 'Adventure without getting hit' subsection on the KoL Wiki.

And, if you're going for the Order of the Silver Wossname during the Island War, I'd recommend NOT doing it like I did. I started it, and got myself locked into a good week or more on this one quest, and the 'Do opposing side's side quests' gifts really aren't worth the massive hassle. (You can pick up those bonus gifts on your second or third ascension much more easily by fighting for one side only and doing all six sidequests for one side. Also makes the entire war a snap, too.)

Better scheme: Kill one guy on the battlefield. Do a side quest for your own side. Kill one more guy. Do a second side quest. Kill a third guy, do one more sidequest. Kill 124 more guys. Switch outfits, repeat. Remember, since each sidequest doubles the opposing army kills you get for each adventure, the numbers crunch out to 999 kills per side.

That reduces it from 528 adventures out on the battlefield, to only 252, to be left with only the two bosses. Then go out on the battlefield, trigger the Final Showdown event, and call in the pirate airstrike.

More immediate news: Jick has removed the Evil Golden Arches item, which USED to give you a single food item per day, from your campground. It's now a single-use item worth three burgers and then it disintegrates. This is coupled with the Orcish meat locker being removed, too. This is clearing out a fair bit of campground space, so there's some speculation of PVP upgrades to arrive soon.

Also, there's an extremely difficult Ascension type, known as Bad Moon. In this ascension, and only in this ascension, you get access to Hey Deze directly, and can buy up Evil Golden Arches food in a store. Possibly the nerfing of the Evil Golden Arches is to make the Bad Moon more appealing.

Edited by Nutjob R/T, 08 February 2008 - 03:58 AM.

#28 OctopusPrime

OctopusPrime

TOP of the Morning!

• Validating
  • 2374 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(TVsGrady @ Feb 8 2008, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm currently this close to undefiling the Cyrpt...anyone got any tips on defeating the Bonerdagon? icon-wildride.gif

I left him until after I cleared another couple of quests, and then came back severey overlevelled. The Bonerdagon is where the game throws off the kid gloves.

Bread is Pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something

#29 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

You need to be 98 moxie to be untouchable to the Bonerdagon, including spell and equipment buffs. An Elemental Saucesphere is just a generally good idea, as is anything that gives Spooky resistance.

Also, the Bonerdagon is vulnerable to Hot and Stench damage, taking double damage from those.

#30 (Deactivated) The_Reaper

(Deactivated) The_Reaper
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(Nutjob R/T @ Feb 8 2008, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheat like a mofo.

Also, there's an extremely difficult Ascension type, known as Bad Moon. In this ascension, and only in this ascension, you get access to Hey Deze directly, and can buy up Evil Golden Arches food in a store. Possibly the nerfing of the Evil Golden Arches is to make the Bad Moon more appealing.

psh, you kidding me? Kill a couple of ARCH-fiends and glue thier eyebrows together in the fat-friar's little hell hole.

Edited by The_Reaper, 08 February 2008 - 10:12 PM.

#31 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

True, but that costs adventures.

Prior to this, the Golden Arches were just THERE, cost nothing to use.

Now you gotta burn four or five adventures to get two Arch drops.

#32 (Deactivated) The_Reaper

(Deactivated) The_Reaper
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

True... those things are gonna be a new farm ground. Thank the gods I have a crap load of Jumbo Dr. Lucifer drinks stored up icon-hotrod.gif especially since they did away with the friggen bean bag chair...

#33 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

Well, Jick has said he wants MP to be limited. Burn HP all you want, he'll fling more at you, but MP is supposed to be difficult to regenerate.

(Says the kid with the 30-pound Cocoabo.)

#34 (Deactivated) The_Reaper

(Deactivated) The_Reaper
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

About to start the hippy war, and I see the newest update about the plinth on the seven seas is doing somethin, and i'm considering not starting the war, that way I can do the possibly upcoming quest.....

Eh.. i dunno...

#35 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

Go for it. It only takes, ehn, two days at most if you're gonna crush one side alone. (Or a bloody week if you want the +5 stats +11% drops medal, since you gotta kill each of the 1000 individually.)

#36 (Deactivated) The_Reaper

(Deactivated) The_Reaper
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Nutjob R/T @ Feb 9 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go for it. It only takes, ehn, two days at most if you're gonna crush one side alone. (Or a bloody week if you want the +5 stats +11% drops medal, since you gotta kill each of the 1000 individually.)

eh, I'm gonna cruise the virgin seas, wanna get this before it ends....

It looks like you can get a special item for your campsite that when you put in an orb from the seas you get to fight special enemies...

#37 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Meh. I'm stuck in the middle of the war, it's gonna take another three or four days to clean off my plate, I might not get to participate in this one.

Although I've found that FGF's are one of the better food packages out there. All my quarters go to Food Grilled over Fire.

#38 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25529 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

Okay, just as an aside... Hit level 13 as a Disco Bandit.

The subtitle for Level 13 is 'Jive Pillager'.

I had to explain over and over why I found it so funny.

#39 (Deactivated) The_Reaper

(Deactivated) The_Reaper
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

w000t I just made 49k each for 2 El vibrato stones.... Good ol' new quest taste.
Well worth the 30-35 quests to get the Sail The Virgin Booty quest from the poop deck

Edited by The_Reaper, 10 February 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#40 (Deactivated) The_Reaper

(Deactivated) The_Reaper
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

Well well, the market is for El Vibrato spheres if crashing, cause everyone wants to make a crapload of Meat, the farming has lowered them to around 40k 30k ever lowering prices.

Yay! El vibrato outfits and familiars for EVERYONE!... powerful enough to kill the #$^ guardians...

Edit: 27k at rollover Feb 12

Edited by The_Reaper, 12 February 2008 - 10:27 PM.