Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TriBlurr : (25 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

I think the only other Titan class character that would interest me after Scoponok would be Tidal Wave

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 07:34 PM)

A Titan would have more room for other toys to hang out, assuming one has the table space for it.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 03:32 PM)

Play wise which would be better a Commander Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside or a Titan Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 February 2020 - 01:53 PM)

I'd be interested in a deluxe or voyager Fort Max in Armada flashback red-and-green.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:49 AM)

I'd honestly be more interested in Commander-class Scorponok and Fort Max. I don't have the space for Titans.

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 February 2020 - 10:44 AM)

Make Commander class city bots to annoy collectors too

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:43 AM)

Make two Broadsides. One Voyager-sized that only turns into a jet, and one Titan-sized that only turns into an aircraft carrier. Piss off everyone on both sides of the scale.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Since they seem to also go by the oh-so holy cartoon scale thing, he'd probably be a Commander Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 February 2020 - 10:34 AM)

Broadside is an aircraft carrier. He should probably be metroplex sized.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:21 AM)

Broadside's more of a Commander Class.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 04:47 AM)

I think Broadside should be the next Titan Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

I tan nicely! But also have a family history of cancer... so... yeah, pasty for me it is.

@  Otaku : (23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM)

I really do begin to get sunburned after about 5 minutes of direct exposure, nowadays.  Side effect of already being pasty then going on a particular medication.  Yay?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2020 - 01:36 PM)

It makes me burn. Accursed daystar.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM)

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy....

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

Photo
- - - - -

"Pearls Before Swine" pulls off greatest surprise in comic history

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12865 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

One of the few newspaper comics I still follow is Stephan Pastis' "Pearls Before Swine," an artistically simple but surprisingly morbid view of the world. Its usually good for a laugh when I need it. 

Over the past week the comic's had a subplot about a new artist taking over, based off the suggestion that a second-grader could have better art skills than Pastis: 

Xr1G1Yz.gif

H8HYQHL.gif

5Eco0Em.gif

Now that the series has ended, Pastis revealed through a new interview that this "second-grader" is actually Bill Watterson of "Calvin and Hobbes." I never thought I'd see Watterson working on comics again in my lifetime, so this is a magnificent thrill.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#2 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14213 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

That's AWESOME!

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#3 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 35470 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

I hadn't even scrolled down to the bottom of the post before I thought, "Wow, that looks just like Bill Watterson's art." The comments about being a "talking head strip" were another clue. This is a real treat, thanks for sharing!

#4 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2525 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

I could tell it was Watterson.

#5 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23108 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

:o indeed! I'd recognize his style anywhere, and it is an amazing and welcome thing to see. Pastis must feel pretty damned honored.

Watterson also drew a poster for a documentary about newspaper comics, so it seems that 2014 is already his most active year in nearly two decades...

http://www.slashfilm...oster-stripped/

#6 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17542 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Watterson aside, the Dick Tracy comic strip is currently "crossing over" with the old (canceled) Little Orphan Annie comic strip and having Daddy Warbucks hire Dick to find the missing Annie (seriously). And I think these comics may have solved the mystery of where she's gone.

-ZacWilliam, I expect Tracy to bust in and Pastis to die in a horribly gruesome manner any time now. :)

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 07 June 2014 - 09:47 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#7 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7766 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

That's awesome! I've got a day to say Pearls calendar and I just read mine for the day before clicking over here. That's so cool.

#8 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19405 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

The article about how it came to be is even better than the comics.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#9 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21319 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Well played!

ty3jHaa.jpg

#10 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4509 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

The article about how it came to be is even better than the comics.

It really is. He compares it to being approached by Jimi Hendrix with a collaboration idea. Despite Hendrix being dead. And I can't exactly argue with that comparison. Bill Watterson was, for the longest time, basically someone who died young and lived to see his legacy at the same time. I wonder what's prompted him to start poking his head back out of the coffin lately. Maybe he was just bored with being dead.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#11 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46987 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

Watterson is a guy who understands you quit while you're still loved, stay gone until people stop clamoring for your return, then come back on your own terms and make people remember why they loved you in the first place.

I own practically all the Cavin and Hobbes books and they are as funny now as when I first read them as a four-five year old. I plan on passing them down to my own children someday.

Edited by Rust, 07 June 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#12 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 5247 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

I knew I recognized that art style, that's awesome.

And Pearls before Swine has never failed to make me laugh.

#13 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34604 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

I didn't recognize it as Bill Waterson before I got to the bottom, but when I look back up there's that very real sense that I should've.  The most familiar thing is the hands on the surprised mouse.

#14 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

I'm guessing this is something you need to be American to understand and value...

#15 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17542 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

I think it's one of those things you had to grow up with Calvin and Hobbes or have an appreciation of one of the all time masters of the comic strip art form to appreciate.

-ZacWilliam, basically he left at the top of his game and went into Salinger-Seclusion so the lots a lot of folks who still dream of his return...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#16 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14213 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Not at all.  Pick up a few Calvin and Hobbes collections and read through them.  then get back to us.  Don't worry, we'll wait.  We have all the time in the world.  

I'm guessing this is something you need to be American to understand and value...

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#17 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12813 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

The timing of this was rather serendipitous for me. I had just finished watching "Dear Mr. Watterson" on Netflix the day before I stumbled on the blog that details how Watterson and Pastis arranged this.

(Oddly enough, only a couple of days after that, I was approached in a bookstore to help a young lady find some Calvin and Hobbes books -- she apparently was unfamiliar, and was looking for someone else, a boyfriend I suspected. I can't recall the last time I heard someone talk about Calvin and Hobbes "in the wild.")

#18 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46987 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Nope. You just have to be a Human. A childhood with an imagination is a plus.

But don't take my word for it.

#19 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12813 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

Well, if you didn't know Calvin and Hobbes back then (almost 20 years ago now!), knowing that Bill Watterson stepped in to do some panels doesn't really mean all that much.

I assume you mean that Calvin and Hobbes is something that being "Human" is enough to enjoy, but that's not how I read the post re: being an American.

#20 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Well, if you didn't know Calvin and Hobbes back then (almost 20 years ago now!), knowing that Bill Watterson stepped in to do some panels doesn't really mean all that much.

I assume you mean that Calvin and Hobbes is something that being "Human" is enough to enjoy, but that's not how I read the post re: being an American.

I guess that was it. I probably should have said "You need to grow up with Calvin and Hobbes for it to mean much" (not to even start on not knowing about Pearls Before Swine at all). Its just not something that was available (or that I was aware of) until the internet was part of my life. They're amusing comics, don't get me wrong, and I'm glad everyone here is happy about it.

Edited by Pennpenn, 10 June 2014 - 11:07 PM.