Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM)

50/60's Twilight Zone, the 80's, millennium and recent ones also, all are in The Twilight Zone.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 October 2020 - 08:03 AM)

Twilight zone. Duh.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM)

Um.... what did I log in on...

@  Paladin : (28 October 2020 - 06:17 AM)

have they actually gotten worse than the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider and has to learn to communicate through his farts?

@  unluckiness : (28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM)

It's only fitting that SImpsons have halloween specials since it's been a shambling corpse of its former self since its teens.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 04:12 AM)

No I caught one of the latest one with parodies of Stranger Things which admittedly is horror series but Heaven Can Wait and The Shape of Water are Fantasy films. Plus implications of the characters being sociopaths or twisted has become a norm these days.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

Which probably adds to the "reasons they should just stop making more of The Simpsons" pile.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

You make it sound like The Simpsons becoming less repetitive is a bad thing.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM)

Remember when Simpsons Halloween specials parodied horror movies and would have the characters make off out of character remarks like "we chucked donuts at a old man for kicks."? they don't and can't do that any more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Tired of the same old Halloween stuff? Check out Tubi. The depths of the schlock available is astounding.

@  Donocropolis : (27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM)

Not sure if it's news or not, but I'm at Ross right now and they have Masterpiece Movie Ironhide for $24.99

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 12:45 AM)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Best Buy exclusive deluxe version is available for $10 as one of today’s daily deals

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 October 2020 - 08:50 PM)

We can play the "Is it a real headline or an Onion headline" game.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 October 2020 - 08:22 PM)

It's weird to see how much of Larry Hama's "satire" from the old GI Joe comic has no longer become satire in the past few years.

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 October 2020 - 11:29 AM)

Funny how 2020 gave me new appreciation for Dawn of the Dead 1978.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

TFwiki.net thread: or, the All-New, All-Different Community Portal

tfwiki.net wiki

13628 replies to this topic

#13501 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17235 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

I apologize in advance if this is dredging up an old fight, but.....

.....just what in the world are the "Megaverse" and "Omniverse" articles about, and do we have to have them, and if we do have to have them couldn't they each be like 3 sentences long?

#13502 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4022 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

The Omniverse is the stuff outside of the TF multiverse, the Megaverse is the transitional boundary between that and the rest of the TF multiverse.

I... don't really know why they'd need to be shorter then they currently are, it's not like they're particularly long articles?

#13503 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:24 AM

During his 2016/2017 cleanups of several toyline pages, M Sipher lumped several large one-off toys under price points they don't belong, and turned them into separate numbered "waves".

The Transformers: Prime page had Optimus Maximus as "wave 3" of the Cyberverse Vehicles (even though he was almost twice as expensive, came in a much bigger box, and was released four months earlier than wave 2 of the Vehicles, i.e. the Bumblebee Bartle Suit). That was comparably easy to fix.

Likewise, the Transformers (2010) toyline page currently has Hunt for the Decepticons Battle Ops Bumblebee as "wave 2" of the Leader Class figures, which isn't accurate either - both because of price point and package size, and because there were literally two days between the first US retail sighting of the Leader Class Optimus Prime/Starscream wave and Batle Ops Bumblebee. And yet the writeup at the beginning outright says "The roughly-Leader-sized "Battle Ops Bumblebee" was released on his own in a slightly differently-shaped box."

I get why he might get listed alongside the Leaders for the sake of simplicity, but arbitrarily making him into a numbered "wave" when the only thing these toys have in common is that "they're larger than other toys from the same line" is beyond revisionist.

Edited by Nevermore, 28 May 2020 - 06:27 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#13504 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:52 AM

There's currently a discussion over at TFW2005 regarding the Scamper that was included with the Legends LG-EX re-release of Thrilling 30 Metroplex. Apparently that Scamper was a mostly black redeco? Can anyone confirm this?
aR2oX8u.jpg

#13505 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27650 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:21 PM

Isn't Scamper's deco already mostly black?

#13506 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52710 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

Why is there a discussion? They have a 16 page thread about LG-EX Metroplex when he came out so people obviously have him. Someone take a picture and that should confirm it either way immediately.

EDIT: Actually looked up the thread. Picture was posted and an owner confirmed. LG-EX Scamper has black shoulders and thighs compared to grey on the original LG release. Pretty cool. Not track down an LG-EX Metroplex and spend $300+ on it for a marginally more accurate Scamper cool but still cool.

Edited by MrBlud, 28 May 2020 - 04:05 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#13507 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18911 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:28 PM

Hilarious accuracy-at-all-costs fetish strikes again.

#13508 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

So... what's the threshold for covering assembly errors (and other odd occurrences) again? Universe Battle in a Box Ultra Magnus certainly qualifies, as that assembly error affects the entire production run (as far as I recall).

On the other end of the spectrum, there's the case of Siege Micromaster Blackjack, the redeco/retool of Swindler. Last year, one guy at TFW2005 reported an alleged "variant" that had Swindler's head and chest, but Blackjack's paint mask. That person repeatedly bumped the thread asking for more sightings. Some of us were telling him it was most likely just a one-off assembly error, and tried to caution everyone against immediately believing there was a genuine "variant" out there without further evidence (fan sites have rushed to report such alleged "variants" based on a single sighting in the past). We were then told to shut up because it's cool and weird and maybe it could be a variant, and we were just being party-poopers and all. Eventually, nothing came of it, and it appears it was really just a single fluke.

The same day that user first reported this "variant" at TFW2005, FigureGunplaFan added it to Blackjack's toy writeup ("Some units had Blackjack being a straight redeco of Swindler"). Walky immediately reverted it, correctly arguing "there are going to have to be more than one of these for us to consider this notable, otherwise it's just a one-off production error". Two days later, Zeon added it back ("Some samples have Blackjack use Swindler's head instead of his own."), which has never been caught until now.

Even worse, two months later, Irrellius added it to Hyperdrive's toy writeup ("There are documented cases of Hyperdrive being released in his proper colors but with the Roadhandler head and chest, and were sought after by fans."), then changed that into "There are documented cases of Hyperdrive being released in his proper colors but with the Roadhandler head and chest, a straight recolor of the original Roadhandler mold,and were sought after by fans.", To make matters worse, Zeon then added a missing space between the comma and "and", but didn't even notice that this was the wrong toy to begin with. Nevermind that there still has been only one documented instace of Blackjack as a straight Swindler recolor as far as I'm aware.

I removed both of those barring further evidence of additional cases, but it got me thinking: When do such weird occurrences really become notable? One instance is a one-off fluke. What about two? Or three? Four? Five? Do we need 50? 500?

Two incidents spring to mind: Titans Return Chromedome was found at several different Walmarts featuring the Headmaster/Titan Master of Takara's Legends version. I count at least four specimens reported at TFW2005, found by three different TFW2005 users at Walmarts in three different states (Spartanburg, South Carolina; Tyler, Texas; and Orange, California):

https://www.tfw2005....medome.1100874/

https://www.tfw2005....3#post-14383183

https://www.tfw2005....6#post-14386441

https://www.tfw2005....6#post-14386485

https://www.tfw2005....2#post-14381699

https://www.tfw2005....7#post-14388040

Seibertron gives us three additional specimens from a Walmart in yet another state (North Carolina):

https://www.seibertr...-sculpts/37487/

That makes at least seven specimens between four different stores and states. Is that noteworthy already? (It is currently included in Titans Return Chromedome's toy write-up.)

A somewhat different kind of oddity: Age of Extinction One-Step Changer Decepticon Stinger was originally supposed to be a general retail release (and still was in other markets, such as Germany), but eventually Hasbro had decided to make all AOE Stinger toys Walmart exclusives, and so One-Step Stinger became one too... but there were several instances of One-Step Stinger being found at Target stores, complete with an "Only at Walmart" sticker on the packaging. And this was before the toy was released at Walmart! At TFW2005 (and Toyark), there were sightings of at least four different specimens between three stores, all of them in the same state (Frederick, Columbia and Towson, Maryland).

http://www.toyark.co...766/#post543030

https://www.tfw2005....2#post-11289586

https://www.tfw2005..../#post-11288436

https://www.tfw2005..../#post-11288759

https://www.tfw2005....2#post-11290808

This is also currently documented in One-Step Stinger's toy write-up.

Are these incidents noteworthy? Are they still too small in number to consider them noteworthy? I'm not sure anymore. 

Edited by Nevermore, 30 May 2020 - 07:05 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#13509 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17235 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:18 AM

I'd say "more than 4 reports" should be the inclusion threshold.

#13510 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 18911 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

Mr Bond, they have a saying in Chicago: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

#13511 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52710 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

I agree with Thy.

3-4 instances (especially in multiple states) should be cause to elevate it from a one-off.

card-strongarm.jpg

#13512 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

So this is a small one, but still.

Universe Sunstreaker (and Sideswipe). The alternate mode is largely a modified Lamborghini Gallardo, with bits and pieces taken from other cars.

tfusuns2.jpg  Gallardo.jpg

One of the modified elements that are distinctively not taken from the Gallardo are the split side windows. Just like those weird ridges in the door vents, they're taken from the McLaren F1.

McLaren F1.jpg

Or are they? Here is a concept/prototype version of the Lamborghini Countach LP500 that also has the same split side window design:

Countach concept 1.jpg  Countach concept 2.jpg

Edited by Nevermore, 01 June 2020 - 05:53 PM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#13513 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24155 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

Frankly, it's a little weird how toy descriptions state that certain traits are "from" a specific thing, since it sounds like they knew exactly what the designer was thinking of, when the basis is just the editor listing what vehicles that toy reminded them of.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 01 June 2020 - 10:05 PM.

• LV! likes this

#13514 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:44 AM

Frankly, it's a little weird how toy descriptions state that certain traits are "from" a specific thing, since it sounds like they knew exactly what the designer was thinking of, when the basis is just the editor listing what vehicles that toy reminded them of.

Well, it was me who originally added that, after spending some time reseraching cars trying to find the closest resemblance to those elements. Though if I recall correctly, the McLaren F1 connection was suggested by someone else, I just ran with it after verifying the similarity.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#13515 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 9001 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

Past Nevermore can't keep getting away with this!

#13516 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:24 AM

Well, if "looks similar" isn't considered sufficient evidence anymore, we might as well remove all unlicensed alternate modes that aren't officially confirmed.
aR2oX8u.jpg

#13517 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24155 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:14 AM

You know it's possible to state that one thing resembles another without wording it as one being the direct basis that the designer used as reference, right?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 02 June 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#13518 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 18911 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:58 PM

In other words, it's not unreasonable to think that a designer started with Vehicle A and then made changes to it for IP purposes without sourcing every single one of those changes from Vehicles B-F. These are largely creative personnel. They are probably capable of coming up with things like "make the headlights more L-shaped" or "split the side intakes" on their own.

All that being said, I'd be astonished if the Countach windows didn't directly inspire the Universe Sunstreaker mold.

Edited by LV!, 02 June 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#13519 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

Well, but if all the various details resemble different Lamborghini models, there's a method to it. That's a stronger possibility than "headlights from random car X".
aR2oX8u.jpg

#13520 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13654 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:54 AM

So apparently is now a further variant of the Universal Studios Kreon 4-pack that replaces Evac with a "N.E.S.T. Sentry" figure. Also Evac toys are supposed no longer being sold at Universal in any form whatsoever.

https://www.hedgehog...-w-nest-sentry/

This appears to be a fairly recent change, since the box now has an EAN barcode (the 2019/2020-onwards standard for most Hasbro Transformers toys) instead of a UPC.

2020-02-01-15.01.48_rev0.jpg  2020-02-01-15.01.52_rev0.jpg  2020-02-01-15.02.15_rev0.jpg  

Here's the original version for comparison:

https://www.hedgehog...versal-studios/

2020-02-01-15.03.18_rev0.jpg  2020-02-01-15.03.23_rev0.jpg  2020-02-01-15.03.56_rev0.jpg

Edited by Nevermore, 04 June 2020 - 04:00 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users