Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 03:24 PM)

You say, "Damn it, what do you think this is, a shotgun wedding?"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 03:23 PM)

What do you do if someone wants to bring their concealed-carry to your American wedding?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 01:58 PM)

Benbot, I was streaming the PS4 version of Starlink

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:25 PM)

Ergo their reporting will have its own slant on the facts as they choose, not the most neutral way possible.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:24 PM)

I find it sad to realize that the prestigious New York Times which I trusted a lot as a kid in fact has its own editorial agenda.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:20 PM)

The end result is NOT that stupid bullshit gets equal coverage as reasonable arguments. That would be problematic in itself (the "false balance" bias), but the provlem is that the controversial stupid bullshit gets MORE coverage than the reasonable arguments.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

The media doesn't want to miss the opportunity to report on a controversy, and as a consequence makes sure that the controversial statements reach an audience.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

Because they realized that saying controversial shit is guaranteed to get coverage.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM)

It's the same here in Germany. Our right-wing moron party is still a political minority, yet they succeed in driving the topics the media keeps reporting.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:15 PM)

The main problem was that Trump was banking on controversy, and the media was reporting controversy because it gave them ratings.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:15 PM)

"Fairness" was not the media's main problem.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 October 2018 - 11:40 AM)

Holy fish! Second life is still a thing?!?!

@  Benbot : (20 October 2018 - 08:32 AM)

What were you streaming, Silverclaw?

@  Shrug : (20 October 2018 - 05:28 AM)

Russian interference should have been fighting an uphill battle, but as far as I'm concerned we gave them a head start.

@  Shrug : (20 October 2018 - 05:23 AM)

I disagree with Hillary being a good choice to run against Trump. Plenty of mixed feelings about her long before 2016 within our own party. When the DNC has to rig it's own primaries to get their chosen candidate running, maybe you shouldn't expect an easy landslide at the actual election.

@  Pennpenn : (20 October 2018 - 05:20 AM)

It would have also helped if the US was also an actualy democracy where the candidate who gets the most votes wins, but hey.

@  Rycochet : (20 October 2018 - 04:42 AM)

You helped destroy western democracy, but hey, at least no-one can accuse you of bias... Oh wait, they did, still do, and are going to keep doing so as long as you report facts.

@  Rycochet : (20 October 2018 - 04:39 AM)

Hillary was a good choice to run against Trump, the big problem was the media crawling all over themselves to try and push the idea of fairness, and threw her under the bus to do so. Any hint of impropriety was treated as being exactly the same as actual proven criminal acts by Trump in order to avoid being seen as biased... and at the end of it all, he turned around and bit them for doing so because that's who he is.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:37 AM)

Many right-wingers are using its name as part of our version of the term "libtards": "Left-green filthy".

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:35 AM)

It's the only of the "established" parties (it's almost 40 years old at this point) that has remained true to its principles.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:34 AM)

Meanwhile, some uplifting news from Germany: While our big parties are rapidly losing voters, and our new "we're not really extreme" right-wing party is gaining voters, there is one other party that is scoring massive points, both in polls and the recent Bavarian state election: The Green Party.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:33 AM)

I still think having Hillary run against Drumpf was a bad choice.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 03:32 AM)

Well on the bright side, we know more people voted for HIllary than the cheeto.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:31 AM)

I guess many a prepper might have also voted for the person most likely to bring about the end of society they are waiting for.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:28 AM)

Now let that sink in, and then think about how many people voted for Agent Orange.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:27 AM)

Elected officials often represent how the voters either view themselves, or how they would like to be.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 12:21 AM)

Well I had 8 people watching my stream at one time tonight.. I call that a success...

@  Telly : (19 October 2018 - 11:08 PM)

@  MEDdMI : (19 October 2018 - 10:02 PM)

Unless it's the main cast of Persona 5.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 October 2018 - 10:02 PM)

I realize there is a certain irony in my vocabulary selection there.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 October 2018 - 10:01 PM)

People who admire public thieves and tricksters are.....sad.

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2018 - 07:04 PM)

Ah damn it, need to go get some new headphones.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2018 - 06:21 PM)

Power was out for most of the day, and now a boil water advisory. Been a great day so far...

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:31 PM)

Bottom line, he reminds them alternatively of all the con men they grew up with watching on television (i.e. televangelists) or their favorite character from the Bible (i.e. Old Testament God).

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:30 PM)

Bill Maher gave an excellent explanation for why the Religious Right loves Trump so much.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2018 - 05:02 PM)

"NOOOO said the man in washington! It's belongs to the poor!"... oh boy was he wrong.

@  Paladin : (19 October 2018 - 04:34 PM)

see also Andrew Ryan

@  RichardT1977 : (19 October 2018 - 03:18 PM)

Also, "Big Father" has almost all the benefits of "Big Brother", but with none of the drawbacks.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2018 - 02:22 PM)

I'd go with "moron", personally.

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2018 - 10:02 AM)

Why not both?

@  Benbot : (19 October 2018 - 09:56 AM)

I think she was a psychopath.

@  Echowarrior : (19 October 2018 - 09:50 AM)

Ayn Rand was a pretentious bitch.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 October 2018 - 09:31 AM)

But Sven makes way more sense now

@  Noideaforaname : (19 October 2018 - 09:30 AM)

Man, watching the original Voltron cartoon for the first time is so weird after having only seen the Netflix reboot.

@  D.M : (19 October 2018 - 09:09 AM)

+They don't really give a crap about God. All their religious talk is just part of the mask. They wanna look like the ideal citizen (what they consider that to be) - the most Christian of all Christians, the most patriotic of all patriots, etc.

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2018 - 08:13 AM)

That's because she was also greedy, heartless, and despised the poor, which is something the right often loves more than God.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 October 2018 - 07:55 AM)

I find it rather amusing that the party of the Religious Right sees wisdom in a woman who hated the notion of God almost as much as she hated and feared the idea of being part of a family.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:39 AM)

However, another big issue is cultural differences. We do have a sense of humor, it's just different than in other cultures because it is a product of a different culture. Simply put, what you might find incredibly funny is considered unfunny by Germans... and vice versa.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:38 AM)

It's actually a multi-faceted issue. Yes, some Germans are incredibly devoid of humor, although those people exist in other countries too. I have no ideas regarding statistics, but these people exist.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:37 AM)

So, about this long-standing stereotype that "Germans have no sense of humor"...

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

TFwiki.net thread 3.0

tfwiki.net wiki

11380 replies to this topic

#9101 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1024 posts
  • Location:Portland, Oregon. They promised me giant robot battles. I don't see any giant robot battles.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:11 AM

I think the gallery approach is more user-friendly and better conveys the information -- as well as laying out all the different versions right next to each other so you can actually compare them.

For the template version -- are we talking about putting it at the start or the end of the page? Because at the start is gonna look awful, and I'm seriously against putting a little picture of Hot Rod or Dinobot at the beginning of a bunch of character pages that aren't Hot Rod or Dinobot.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#9102 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10543 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:16 AM

End of the page. At the start is a bad idea.

#9103 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 12273 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

Okay, how's this attempt at explaining the cluster**** that is the TLK exclusive sublines?
http://tfwiki.net/wi...ine)#Exclusives

If it seems confusing, that's because it is. Mission to Cybertron is the only one that can be described as "business as usual".

One idea I had was to give the "international availability" stuff an optional fold-out or drop-down menu similar to the menus we have for toys with many redecos. That way the page would be more readable without losing relevant information entirely.

Edited by Nevermore, 09 November 2017 - 06:14 PM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."
- Volker Pispers, German comedian

#9104 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 8743 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

destroy

#9105 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10543 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

i'm getting a job at idw and writing a family guy mention into a transformers comic and you can't stop me

#9106 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3446 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

hey optimus 🅱rime
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#9107 Tailgreat

Tailgreat
  • Citizen
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

So I'm not exactly a fan of Anode myself but this line in her page at the first image...

A literal special snowflake... ugh.

...seems kind of mean spirited, especially with how often "snowflake" gets thrown at queer folks.

Obviously it wasn't Walky who put it up there but I was wondering about it.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Anode

Edited by Tailgreat, 11 November 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#9108 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 15794 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

There are lots of mean-spirited barbs on the wiki, and I'm sure plenty of other writer's-pet characters would get the same treatment if they had the poor judgement to show up in a picture with a snowflake.

#9109 Tailgreat

Tailgreat
  • Citizen
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

There are lots of mean-spirited barbs on the wiki, and I'm sure plenty of other writer's-pet characters would get the same treatment if they had the poor judgement to show up in a picture with a snowflake.

Like I said I don't like Anode myself, but "snowflake" gets thrown at the queer community, and especially trans people, that it seems kind of suspect.

#9110 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3446 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

On a semirelated note, I've been sideeyeing this caption for a while now, and I think that in light of recent events we can safely axe it?
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#9111 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22194 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

....hugging yikes.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#9112 Foffy

Foffy
  • Citizen
  • 8301 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

Like I said I don't like Anode myself, but "snowflake" gets thrown at the queer community, and especially trans people, that it seems kind of suspect.
What if we just got rid of the "ugh" part? It would make it feel a bit less antagonistic and a bit more lighthearted, but still preserve the joke.

On a semirelated note, I've been sideeyeing this caption for a while now, and I think that in light of recent events we can safely axe it?

Uh, yeah, wow. I'm gonna cast my vote in the "kill it" category on this one.

#9113 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20460 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

I'll go ahead and second dropping the "ugh" part at the very least so as to make the caption less controversial, but that particular usage of the term is a new one on me. I just double-checked Know Your Meme, and even they don't have anything on that. 

Standard 'net usage is "This person thinks they're so special that they can merit special privileges, but they've done nothing to merit them and may in fact be adverse to doing what's necessary to merit them." 

Could that have been the intent behind the caption? 

edit - Yeah, and while we're at it someone may as well go ahead and change that Kiss-Play reference. 

Edited by Fortress Ironhold, 11 November 2017 - 10:52 PM.

#9114 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9279 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

What if we just got rid of the "ugh" part? It would make it feel a bit less antagonistic and a bit more lighthearted, but still preserve the joke.

Yeah the "ugh" is what it takes it into "look at this dumb shit" territory, and in the caption of the main pic of a Featured Article no less. I'd get rid of the caption all together myself, but at the very least lose the "ugh." 

#9115 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20460 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

So that's three for dropping the "ugh" at the least. 

I can't seem to edit articles at the moment, or else I'd do it myself. 

Edit - seems to be a block on my ability to edit articles, and I don't know who to contact about that. What's the procedure? 

Edited by Fortress Ironhold, 11 November 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#9116 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10543 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

So, uh, according to Comiclist, Lost Light #13 is coming out before Lost Light #12...

#9117 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2125 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Release dates more than one week away are basically placeholders. We wont know for certain what will be out on November 22 until the 15th, and so on.

#9118 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22194 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

McFeely's updated the original 4 issue of the Marvel Comics series. Looking pretty good.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#9119 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10543 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

Release dates more than one week away are basically placeholders. We wont know for certain what will be out on November 22 until the 15th, and so on.

Sure, but it doesn't usually schedule issues before the preceding issue...

#9120 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9127 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

McFeely's updated the original 4 issue of the Marvel Comics series. Looking pretty good.

I was just going to re-read the Marvel series for fun but apparently I'm a friggin' idiot who can't stop himself.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users