Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 June 2020 - 10:47 PM)

"He's comin' right for us!"

@  Telly : (28 June 2020 - 08:40 PM)

was that even still in effect once the war ended?

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 June 2020 - 06:51 PM)

According to Roberts, soldiers can ignore the order to spare Whirl if he's directly threatening them. But mostly the DJD were out of their heads on Nuke and not really caring much at the time.

@  Xaaron : (28 June 2020 - 06:41 PM)

Also, they were hopped up on goofballs at the time.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 June 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Cause it was whirl. He opened his (non-existant.) gob at the just the right time to piss somebody off. Or, so I assume.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 June 2020 - 06:00 PM)

If Whirl was off limits why did the DJD kill him?

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 June 2020 - 05:57 PM)

That sounds about right. I actually didn't get into it until the IQ expansion came out (which saved me a bit of expense)

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

Weird question (and sorry for so many shouts): did Overpower really release in August of '95?  I could have sworn I attempted to play it with a classmate who shouldn't have been a classmate by that point.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

So... I don't have all my cards still somewhere. XP I still play Pokémon via the PTCGO, and I've been doing Card of the Days over on Pojo (on and off) since 2013.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:51 PM)

For both financial, personal, and practical reasons, all my collectibles had to go about 10 years ago: action figures, comic books, card games, RPG books, video games.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 June 2020 - 05:48 PM)

I've still got all my cards, somewhere; I had a pretty decent collection. Still have the Japanese Digimon CCG, too. Glad I never got into Magic; way too pricey

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Technically, Overpower was my first TCG... except I never, ever learned how to play it, or understood that booster packs contained different cards than the Starter Decks.

IDW Transformers: Hearts Of Steel Issue 01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#21 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17102 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

So the dinosaurs were killed off by an ice age? News to me.

Speaking of ice ages, did it look to anyone else like Prime's body was Big Convoy?

#22 (Deactivated) Denyer

(Deactivated) Denyer
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:30 PM

Yup. Apparently some of the other "ice-age" TFs take cues from other existing designs too, but I don't know the beast toylines well enough to spot them...

#23 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18826 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:20 AM

I noticed the Big Convoy bit, too.

Be interesting if this was the Optimus Prime that became Nemesis Prime in Universe... ;P

Not much else I can say that hasn't already been said, an excellent work.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#24 CatSCAN

CatSCAN
  • Supporter
  • 4040 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:46 PM

Alright. This comic got me back into the comic shops (the nearest one to me is a bit of a drive and I haven't been there in a long time). I really like the human characters' personalities and conflicts they have with themselves. Like how John Henry doesn't like machines doing his work etc. If handled right, the major themes they are laying down in character's preferences, conflicts, and personalities could become extremely interesting. The art was awesome.

#25 Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0

...or should I?

• Citizen
  • 7776 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

Guido is a REAL comic artist. See how well the story flows? (in fairness...I love the art on 'infiltration' too, but I've always been a huge Guido fan)

Guido doesn't get enough props for his redesigns, the way he makes toy-accurate TFs seem fresh and new is amazing but his original designs are frickin' badass. (I'm not sure how many of y'all remember this, but he did a one or two-page Beast Machines comic back in the day which included a BM Rhinox design that was also quite nice). I'd like to see more of his original designs in the future.

#26 (Deactivated) Denyer

(Deactivated) Denyer
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

Everyone who's worked on TF comics in the last few years has been a 'real' artist, with the possible exception of Pat (even he got slightly better after the first volume...)

I do like that we've had redesigns of some sort from every interior artist who's done stuff for IDW so far, though -- it sure beats everyone being forced to work to a house style.

#27 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 44189 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

which one is grimlock? in the two page spread, i see optimus prime (middle) and soundwave (bottom right) - you can tell its him because of the crest on his forehead and his shoulder-mounted missile launcher. thats all i can see that can resemble Big Convoy.

i'd buy an artwork book showing these designs clearly in both modes.

a few things strike me as odd here - bumblebee, ratchet and prowl (it is him - you can tell by the shoulder marks) not wanting to wake up everyone else. the danger of the ice age had passed - there's no real reason for the autobots to remain in slumber.

also, bumblebee's reason to ratchet and prowl for wanting to interact with the humans just seems out of there. thats the only piece of forced writing i could see in the comic.

i agree about bumblebee becoming a train was too fast. maybe him actually scanning and changing form was dropped because it would have more of an effect on the flow of the comic by suddenly seeing the train there, the reader would feel the same sense of shock that the two men had when they saw him. but if transformers can do that at will - why don't they use it more often? why not become a different form each time to evade enemies who know your alternate form by sight?

i didn't like shockwave's infodump at the end. his reasoning seems out of there too. he looks cool though and i do like that you can see shockwave in the page before he transforms.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#28 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16324 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Treadshot 2.0 @ Jul 19 2006, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guido doesn't get enough props for his redesigns, the way he makes toy-accurate TFs seem fresh and new is amazing but his original designs are frickin' badass. (I'm not sure how many of y'all remember this, but he did a one or two-page Beast Machines comic back in the day which included a BM Rhinox design that was also quite nice). I'd like to see more of his original designs in the future.

Didn't even realise Guido drew it. That'd partly explain why I liked the art so much. Love his stuff.
Yeh, I really liked this too, I think its mainly because of the two really cool alt-mode themes that have never been done and a different time period.
Did Guido do these designs? He seriously needs to be getting more work. I like them an awful lot, I'd much rather be geting die cast Steam engines and boats than anything else in Titanium.
Shockwave's apearance was awesome. Just like that animation thing from a while back. icon-fire.gif

I know next to nothing about the American history they are portraying there though, might read up on it a bit so that I know who they're supposed to be.

#29 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 44189 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

you must have heard of mark twain.

#30 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16324 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:40 AM

Heard of, but I have no idea who he is.
Wasn't this John Henry guy in Pocahontis? icon-fire.gif

#31 jetfirespam

jetfirespam

Tastier Than Jetfire Jello!

• Citizen
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Denyer @ Jul 19 2006, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone who's worked on TF comics in the last few years has been a 'real' artist, with the possible exception of Pat (even he got slightly better after the first volume...)

Pat and Rob Ruff... something- you know, the guy who ruined Micromasters. He was an insult to the comics industry as a whole.

"What can I say? Beneath my cocksure exterior I have terribly low self-esteem."

"Yes, but beneath that low self-esteem you really do think you're better than everyone else."

"Fair point."

#32 (Deactivated) Moroboshi Ataru

(Deactivated) Moroboshi Ataru
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:02 PM

Excellent art and snappy writing with a good narrative flow and entertaining dialogue.

On the art side, Guido draws great humans; I loved the facial expressions on Twain, John Henry, Muldoon et al. Moreover, kudos to the colorist and inker, too; the understated shades of color selected and the shadowy inking really accentuated Guido's artwork and contributed to the primordial feeling of the first few pages and the historical nature of the 1800's scenes.

In terms of storyline, I...actually liked the quick change Bumblebee underwent. I found it equal parts creepy and funny. The fact the steam engine didn't have a driver's compartment definitely added to the creepy side of things. Heh; for once, a Transformer not caring about whether humans can drive him; nice.

The art and dialogue work in concert handily on the last few pages: Shockwave's introduction and little monologue was *awesome*...as if just transforming wasn't intimidating enough, he's gotta lay this frightening speech on the poor guy, too. icon-fire.gif

#33 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17723 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

i agree about bumblebee becoming a train was too fast. maybe him actually scanning and changing form was dropped because it would have more of an effect on the flow of the comic by suddenly seeing the train there, the reader would feel the same sense of shock that the two men had when they saw him. but if transformers can do that at will - why don't they use it more often? why not become a different form each time to evade enemies who know your alternate form by sight?

Considering this is the first time we've seen these transformers in action in the Universe, who knows what they're capable of.
a few things strike me as odd here - bumblebee, ratchet and prowl (it is him - you can tell by the shoulder marks) not wanting to wake up everyone else. the danger of the ice age had passed - there's no real reason for the autobots to remain in slumber.

Except that they have no real idea what the Decepticons are up to, or how the humans will react to a horde of giant alien robots suddenly emerging from a cave.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#34 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Jul 16 2006, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of ice ages, did it look to anyone else like Prime's body was Big Convoy?

It takes some hints from Big Convoy, but it's not; If you look carefully on the first panel of page 6, and pay attention to beast section above Prime's left shoulder, you can see a jawbone separation. He seems to be an Apatosaurus or something similar.

Guido isn't quite as big on fanwanks as Don is.

That Soundwave at the closeup on the bottom left corner of page three is pretty awesome, though. I have to wonder what he turns into.

I really liked this issue. It feels a lot like the G1 cartoon to me, actually, and is refreshingly devoid of Furman. No metaphysical stuff, no huge looming death-to-all threat, just Transformers. I also like what we've seen of the human cast quite a lot, particularly Mark Twain's characterization being dead-on from what I've gleaned from his editorials and such. The brandy bit on page 13 was perfect.

And that's some seriously crisp art. Guido's great as always.

Edited by Spark, 12 August 2006 - 02:22 AM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#35 Guido Guidi

Guido Guidi
  • Citizen
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(Spark @ Aug 12 2006, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It takes some hints from Big Convoy, but it's not; If you look carefully on the first panel of page 6, and pay attention to beast section above Prime's left shoulder, you can see a jawbone separation. He seems to be an Apatosaurus or something similar.

That Soundwave at the closeup on the bottom left corner of page three is pretty awesome, though. I have to wonder what he turns into.

I really liked this issue. It feels a lot like the G1 cartoon to me, actually, and is refreshingly devoid of Furman. No metaphysical stuff, no huge looming death-to-all threat, just Transformers. I also like what we've seen of the human cast quite a lot, particularly Mark Twain's characterization being dead-on from what I've gleaned from his editorials and such. The brandy bit on page 13 was perfect.

Thanks Spark!
About Optimus, you nailed it (I think you're the first one to notice that)...to be more precise he would be a sort of Brachiosaurus (or Ultrasaurus, or Sismasaurus... you decide) anyway a sauropod.
icon-ironhide.gif
Guido
--------------------------------------
Guido Guidi Online Gallery

#36 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 44189 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:17 AM

I'd love to see those pre-historic designs in clearer detail.

#37 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(Guido @ Aug 15 2006, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Spark @ Aug 12 2006, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Spark!
About Optimus, you nailed it (I think you're the first one to notice that)...to be more precise he would be a sort of Brachiosaurus (or Ultrasaurus, or Sismasaurus... you decide) anyway a sauropod.
icon-ironhide.gif

Eeeee... Guido thanked me. I'd swoon, but my dignity prohibits it! Awesome!
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#38 (Deactivated) ronin256

(Deactivated) ronin256
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

sorta off topic but is there any way to find pictures of the tf's and their alt modes for this and war within