Young Justice: Phantoms

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I was totally going to bring that up... but they explained it, whew. I was thinking of what happened in the babies ep too.

What's Traught? I remember Mode (bad), Crash (good), Whelmed (haha) but when did they do the cool new hip future teen speak of Traught?

At least Ma'al is obviously from the start of the season, even if I don't remember the exact people they started using it as an expletive.

Laga'an!!!!! Holy cow, you dawg! Hahaha!!! I'm going to assume bisexuality is common with Atleanteans, haha. Anyhow, so happy to see him around again. Now, I hope they don't kill off Aquaboy just to be brutal.

I gave pause as the Islam Hijab thing. That was just suddenly inserted into the story. Odd but woke?

This is turning out like the Zatanna arc, where it's suppose to be about Kaldur but it's nothing personal happening to him. It's just events unfolding around him.

Gonna assume Tinya waking up would restore Kon El.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
It has been such a wait since season 4 part 1 that I thought Arion had already debuted in the lore of a prior season, ha!

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I was totally going to bring that up... but they explained it, whew. I was thinking of what happened in the babies ep too.

What's Traught? I remember Mode (bad), Crash (good), Whelmed (haha) but when did they do the cool new hip future teen speak of Traught?

At least Ma'al is obviously from the start of the season, even if I don't remember the exact people they started using it as an expletive.

Laga'an!!!!! Holy cow, you dawg! Hahaha!!! I'm going to assume bisexuality is common with Atleanteans, haha. Anyhow, so happy to see him around again. Now, I hope they don't kill off Aquaboy just to be brutal.

I gave pause as the Islam Hijab thing. That was just suddenly inserted into the story. Odd but woke?

This is turning out like the Zatanna arc, where it's suppose to be about Kaldur but it's nothing personal happening to him. It's just events unfolding around him.

Gonna assume Tinya waking up would restore Kon El.
The Islam thing was brought up in the prior season IIRC and the during the end credits for this season. Continuing the story of how Violet is similar and different than Gabriel. I'm glad they're appearing in this season, as they were my favorite character from the show.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Halo? Well, as long as they stop killing her bloody. It was such a turn off when they kept maiming her just to show her healing ability.

Oh, I rather like seeing Nanaue King Shark. Of all Karl Kesel's characters, he's the one who broke out cuz... I think Gail Simone put him in her Secret Six series, along with Knockout.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Yeah, she kept on getting killed. Makes you wonder if she was just so careless, or if her lack of experience was getting her killed. Granted she doesn't have the physical abilities of most of the members, who are either very fast, very strong, very durable, and / or highly trained. It's not like we were seeing other members get impaled, their throats slit, or their necks broken.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Let's not kid ourselves. They kept killing Halo to gratuitously show her gory skeletal innards, just to emphasize what all this show could now get away with by not being on a TV network anymore.

Season 3 was really excessive in stuff like that, upping the swearing and implied-but-still-obvious sex, too.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh, I don't recall any swearing.

The implied sex I remember was Black Lightning and the doctor.

Best season is still season 2, though could have gotten a nicer ending.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I think the swearing didn't happen until later in the season. I remember it being mostly mild too. I tend to notice these things when they happen in things that they didn't previously. I don't recall any swearing until they were probably in the late teens. Black Lightning swearing when angry at Nightwing and the older Flash were two things that stood out. Season 4 it happened earlier, I remember Jade and Beast Boy both swearing.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And some cussing in today's episode, too.

For those who were saying Kaldur didn't have anything personal in this arc, it was all about him keeping everything bottled up inside and taking on too many responsibilities instead of allowing himself to slow down, rest, and properly mourn Conner. It all finally comes to a head for him by this episode's end.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
And some cussing in today's episode, too.

For those who were saying Kaldur didn't have anything personal in this arc, it was all about him keeping everything bottled up inside and taking on too many responsibilities instead of allowing himself to slow down, rest, and properly mourn Conner. It all finally comes to a head for him by this episode's end.
Am I watching an edited version of the show? Which part was it that someone cussed? I may have missed it.

Love the part with Orm. Would have been nice if he stayed. Slightly confused on the process tho. Like, where would they get the engrams? Or the other engrams?

Boo on the coronation! But... it makes sense. And Aquaboy can continue the legacy (what's his name anyway? Arthur Jr?)

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Am I watching an edited version of the show? Which part was it that someone cussed? I may have missed it.

Love the part with Orm. Would have been nice if he stayed. Slightly confused on the process tho. Like, where would they get the engrams? Or the other engrams?

Boo on the coronation! But... it makes sense. And Aquaboy can continue the legacy (what's his name anyway? Arthur Jr?)
They used bastard, ass, and maybe damn as well in the last episode.

I like that they are not limited to TV-Y7 rules.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Being an adult and hearing words like that on a regular basis coming from characters who are adults at this point doesn’t really phase me.

But it’s definitely safe to say that relationships in Atlantis are very fluid. Laga’an’s family had me confused at times until I got that it was clear that he was with both of them. And it’s hinting that Dolphin could join Kaldur and Wynnde.

But how is Conner going to comeback? And how long will Garfield continue his downward spiral? It sucks to see him like this.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The brief moment we saw Wally again had me hoping that he wasn't just another one of Conner's hallucinations.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Being an adult and hearing words like that on a regular basis coming from characters who are adults at this point doesn’t really phase me.

But it’s definitely safe to say that relationships in Atlantis are very fluid. Laga’an’s family had me confused at times until I got that it was clear that he was with both of them. And it’s hinting that Dolphin could join Kaldur and Wynnde.

But how is Conner going to comeback? And how long will Garfield continue his downward spiral? It sucks to see him like this.
Bastard, ass and damn?! I thought it was the s, f or c words. Yow.

Delphis is a mutated human, right? This is YJ version of Dolphin? But comic Dolphin didn't have any light powers. In fact, I don't recall Dolphin having any other powers other than breathing underwater. Unless cradle snatching counts, haha. Also, Delphis, getyerown relationship! Haha

I think I mentioned before that while Greg Cipes is cool and all, I loved the original voice actor for Beast Boy from season 2. Would that he stayed on but, apparently he quit show bizness

Shadhausen

Citizen
Bastard, damn and ass? Won't somebody please think of the children!

Oh yeah, they're probably using even worse language when not around adults :cool:.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Bastard, ass and damn?!
Keep in mind, this show started off as a Saturday morning children's cartoon on daytime Cartoon Network. There was no use of any of those words during the first two seasons because those words and others of their ilk are forbidden from ever being used in American television that's primarily aimed at a demographic of kids.

Think about other action cartoon shows that are similar to Young Justice and which all aired on children's television. There's Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, any Spider-Man animated TV series, any X-Men animated TV series, any Batman animated series that have aired on Kids WB or Cartoon Network, 2003 Ninja Turtles, 2012 Ninja Turtles, or any Avengers animated TV series. None of them ever used any of those words.

Young Justice only started using them beginning with Season 3 because it moved away from children's television into adult-oriented streaming, where cussing is allowed because it's a no longer on a platform that squarely targets kids. They may not be among George Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words", but they are still considered cuss words that could get any kid's mouth washed out with soap by any anti-cussing parent.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Still mild enough. Also thinking that anyone watching this show at this point is definitely old enough for PG language. DC is also known for more adult content in a lot of their non-broadcast TV animation.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The cursing does nothing for me. Never needed it, and suddenly having it is more a gratuitous meta move than anything and kind of meh as a result.

Glad to have gotten a nice worldbuilding-y excursion in the Aqua part of the world, as well as finally getting to revisit the Superboy stuff, as the magic shenanigans arc didn't really interest me much. It was great to see those characters stretch their legs a bit, some long-overdue movement forward for the Zatarras, AND a literal Magic School Bus, but I've never really cared much for Klarion and that area so glad we're past that and in more interesting, er, waters.

Getting tired of the extended Gar arc. There's "we want to illustrate how this really takes a hold of a person and how hard it is to climb out" and then there's "hey, this filler is working, let's keep using it."

What I don't mind as much is getting the extended exposition moments where they take the time to talk about Islamic beliefs as well as the hijab. Although the way they worked it in with Khalid works a bit better for me than this more recent bit with Violet. I also really like how seriously this show takes therapy.

Also, "traught" is less "cool-future-speak" and more "Dick Grayson back-formation" a la whelmed (actually the original word vs overwhelmed, apparently), chalant, etc -- this time from "distraught".

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Aye. Didn't expect that. Nice to finally see Rocket get some focus. She was on so little for someone who is supposed to be one of the main characters from the original crew.

Top Bottom