X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well the "One Man's Worth" 2 parter back then was kind of their shot at an AoA like situation. Many of the characters AoA designs were inserted into the backgrounds of the dystopian reality born of Xaviers death in that version.

Saw that Jubilee's VA has declined to come back and asked that Jube's should be voiced by an Asian VA.

That was sort of like AoA, but only a brief snippet of the setting.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I was trying to be gentle about it. Even in the 90s as a high school kid when I watched absolutely every episode I recognized how absolutely ugly, sketchy and very cheap looking the 90s x-men cartoon was. It's honestly REALLY bad.

The counterpart Spider-man show at the time was slightly better technically, but had a very too-clean plasticy fake feeling that I also disliked even as a kid.

-ZacWilliam, Don't get me wrong I was there for both shows then and have lots of nostalgia for them now, but it was always in spite of the general unattractive animation and design sensibilities.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
The last season in particular got really bad, but that’s because they hadn’t expected to get a fifth season and one of the studios behind the series had shut down. There was a lot of cost cutting going on that last season. But yes even before then there was quite a few things holding it back early on too. The art book they put out last year for the series went into detail the effort they put in and how things were barely coming together early on into the series.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was trying to be gentle about it. Even in the 90s as a high school kid when I watched absolutely every episode I recognized how absolutely ugly, sketchy and very cheap looking the 90s x-men cartoon was. It's honestly REALLY bad.

The counterpart Spider-man show at the time was slightly better technically, but had a very too-clean plasticy fake feeling that I also disliked even as a kid.

-ZacWilliam, Don't get me wrong I was there for both shows then and have lots of nostalgia for them now, but it was always in spite of the general unattractive animation and design sensibilities.
I firmly disagree.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Just look at almost any episode of the contemporary Batman: The Animated Series, or Disney's Gargoyles. Both of them went for a smoother, far less "overdetailed" look than X-Men, and it makes a world of difference.

Questionable Meats

Citizen
I'm still of the opinion that this show shouldn't be revisited, it was wonderful as it was and almost a timeless classic in its own right.

I just don't want to see anther butchering of a beloved classic. But it's happening anyway, so it's beyond what my opinions can really do.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The art book they put out last year for the series went into detail the effort they put in and how things were barely coming together early on into the series.

Wait, there's an art book? What's it called? Is it on ComiXology? Sounds like just the thing I'd want to grab on a good sale.

I'm still of the opinion that this show shouldn't be revisited, it was wonderful as it was and almost a timeless classic in its own right.

I just don't want to see anther butchering of a beloved classic. But it's happening anyway, so it's beyond what my opinions can really do.

Given the aforementioned talk of how the original ended, I prefer to think of this more as them having an opportunity to go out on their own terms, rather than with slashed budgets and degraded animation quality.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Wait, there's an art book? What's it called? Is it on ComiXology? Sounds like just the thing I'd want to grab on a good sale.
Doesn't seem to be on ComiXology.

There's also another more wordy book that came out in 2017

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen

Sory man, Spidey had this really low-res look to it alot of the time. You can tell they had digitized it poorly, lots of antialiasing on edges. They also would replay animation so awkwardly. Like that shot of Kingpin slowly emergering from the shadows (that would sometimes be played backwards?!). Never mind the hideous cg webswinging backgrounds. Even as a kid I found these things jarring.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Yeah Spiderman had some of the worst editing and scene transitions I've ever seen in animation. Got so bad I couldn't even watch it as a kid.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
oh I agree, 90s Spider-man toon is animated poorly too. Just in different ways than X-men is. X-men is aggressively ugly, sketchy and cheap looking. Spider-Man is plasticy, too clean and cheap looking.

ZacWilliam I watched and loved both shows as a teen it was just despite the animation and design, like I said.

Top Bottom