What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Crazy is pretty much all that comes out of her mouth, so I'm not surprised anymore. Her grip on actual reality is weak. She's part of the Q branch of the GOP after all. I think her and MTG share custody of a single brain cell.

MrBlud

Citizen
They know their policies lack popular appeal.

That’s the entire reason they captured the Supreme Court so they can stymie anything Democratic and let through anything Republican.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
This. Expect "Concerned Citizens" to be bringing lawsuits to the Supreme Court over Kansas.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:

This result is interesting for reasons other than the obvious. According to poll results released by Co/Efficient on Jul 21, 47% of Kansans supported the amendment. But in the actual vote, only 41% of Kansans supported it. That's a big change, so ... what happened?

Did 6% of the population switch from "yes" to "no" in less than two weeks? Did "family values" Republicans skip the vote? Both of these theories honestly seem rather unlikely to me. "Family values" conservatives aren't exactly known for their ideological flexibility, and they aren't exactly known for staying home on voting day either. It's how they built their political power. And yet support for the amendment collapsed, even in rural conservative areas of Kansas.

So what else could it be? Maybe (and I know this is just speculation) they don't trust the confidentiality of pollsters, so they give pollsters the answer that their peer group wants to hear. For example, a woman might say "yes" to the pollster but vote "no" in the voting booth, where she is confident her right-wing husband will never find out.

What do you think?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
This. Expect "Concerned Citizens" to be bringing lawsuits to the Supreme Court over Kansas.
I'm not sure how even our current Supreme Court could possibly strike down the nonexistence of a constitutional amendment that failed its referendum.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
and kiss Arizona goodbye.

he wins, no Democrat victory will ever be certified again.
He won the Republican primary, not the actual election. Now if he wins in November, Arizona might be lost. Hopefully the democrats can show he's a loon and he'll lose by double digits.

MrBlud

Citizen
I'm not sure how even our current Supreme Court could possibly strike down the nonexistence of a constitutional amendment that failed its referendum.

Six Supreme Court justices believes abortion is murder, murder is already illegal, therefore abortion is not a medical procedure but a criminal act and isn’t covered under any Constitution state or federal any more than a “right to steal” would be.

If you (rightfully!) think that’s insane your recourse is :checks notes: not a goddamn thing.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
But that's a step that even most Republicans don't want. They want for their children and staffers to be able to go to California and get an abortion. Do as I say, not as I do. Plus any reach that far would be likely to result in massive electoral backlash. Not much your stupid Supreme Court majority can do if we get a supermajority in the House and Senate in some future election and can pass a constitutional amendment.

Nah they're perfectly happy with this patchwork of legal and illegal that they've wrought.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Except... it's pretty obvious that some of them AREN'T. Thomas has made it clear that his hate and bias is his driving motivation and he is going to punish the entire country. He's going to go after pretty much every social and progressive standard (except interracial marriage, of course.) and once they get a few done and gone: some smart ass is going to try make their name by going even further.

Between a complete and utter disconnect from reality, and a driving need to "beat the other side at any cost", they'll happily turn the US in a christian national theocracy to do it.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
If you told me that your idea for villains in a D&D campaign was to take a religion that uses their own god's torturous death as a holy symbol and places a huge value on martyrdom, and then give them ultimate legal authority, I would call it the most obviously evil crap I've ever heard. And yet, here we are.

Ironbite4

Citizen
...........well he's not wrong per se.

Ironbite-he's just a complete piece of shit for saying it on a live mic.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Okay, so... I just watched a clip about Beto O'rorke (I think that's how he spells it.) shutting down a republican. And god damn, if there was a politician like that up here, they'd have my vote.

And then it hit me: the republican was laughing about KIDS getting MURDERED in school.

Let's say there's a massive blue wave in the midterms. A progressive landslide... these republicans will have nothing left to lose. They already have to cheat to win, and it still reflective of some tight margins, on top of being programmed to believe that a loss for them means a broken system. This election seems like it's quickly turning into a referendum on the republican party: but that's still the party that has spent the last FORTY YEARS dehumanizing everyone who isn't one of them, and fostering anger. What happens when they lose en masse?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Then they'll finally give us an excuse to turn all that firepower they've given our military against people who actually deserve it for a change.

Top Bottom