What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

NovaSaber

Citizen

Pastor Mark Burns, a loyal supporter of former President Donald Trump and a Republican congressional candidate, said earlier this week that parents and teachers who communicate with children about LGBTQ issues pose a "national security threat" to the United States and added that those found guilty of "treason" should be executed.

He also said that Congress should relaunch the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) to hold people "accountable for treason," a belief he reiterated to Newsweek when reached on Friday for comment.

Burns is currently running for Congress in South Carolina's 4th District against three other Republicans. Ahead of next week's primary election, he has encouraged his supporters on social media to donate to his campaign and vote for him "to help fight to bring God back to the center of American politics and culture."

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It's time to celebrate folks: Macarthyism is BACK! And this time, he doesn't just want the communists! He wants the gays and transgendered too. No affront to their beliefs is too small a slight to go unnoticed!

So, yeah: **** this guy.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
You know, I joke about suspected communists during the McCarthy era having been "disappeared", but I actually have no idea what they did with 'em. I'm almost certain they weren't convicted of treason in a court of law and executed, though.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Also, anyone else here seen CSA? I never thought the scene of McCarthy asking "Are you now, or have you ever been, a homosexual?" might one day become a literal reality.

Ironbite4

Citizen
It's time to celebrate folks: Macarthyism is BACK! And this time, he doesn't just want the communists! He wants the gays and transgendered too. No affront to their beliefs is too small a slight to go unnoticed!

So, yeah: **** this guy.
Voters already did. He lost his primary.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
To be fair, his claim about those who live by the sword sure doesn't seem to be panning out like he said it would. Can't exactly blame them for deciding they could disregard that one.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Has anyone tried publishing an American Bible? I mean a full length Bible that more or less follows the same outline but everything is tweaked so it actually says what people like Lauren Boebert imagine it says?

I feel like there's money in this.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Yes:
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conservapedia:The_Conservative_Bible_Project

It's as dumb as it sounds:
As of May 2010 the entire Gospels are finished (behind the stated goal of having it done before Easter[33]). The project isn't so much a 'translation' as a anachronistic dumbing down of the King James Version (which is conveniently not copyrighted) with the occasional conservative twist. The KJV verses are put right beside the "Proposed Conservative Translation". The contrast between the archaic literary prose of the KJV and the artless, agenda-ridden language of the Conservative Bible is stunning. For example, the KJV of Luke 11:53-4 reads:
“”And as he [Jesus] said these things unto them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to urge him vehemently, and to provoke him to speak of many things Laying wait for him, and seeking to catch something out of his mouth, that they might accuse him.

The Conservative Bible "translation" (done by Andy himself) reads:
“”As Jesus told them off, the scribes and Pharisees furiously interrogated Him about everything, plotting and seeking to quote Him for a politically incorrect remark to use against Him.[34]

In addition to trying to interject the modern concept of political correctness into the Bible Andy has his Lord and Saviour telling people off.

Or take Luke 12:43-4. KJV:
“”Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.

Conservative Bible:
“”Blessed is that manager, whose employer finds working so diligently Truly I tell you, he will promote that manager to run all of his affairs.[35]

Though it's hard for any of these to compete with Andy's rewrite of 1 Corinthians 1:17 from the KJV's:
“”For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

into:
“”In any case, Christ didn't send me to baptize. He sent me to preach the gospel, but not with the kind of liberal claptrap that would make Christ's sacrifice ineffectual.[36]

...which Andy says is "more contemporary and closer to the original meaning" and calls for us to "notice how far off the NASB and NIV translations are from the obvious meaning of this verse."[36]

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I want to go back in time to 2005 and tell my liberal friends how well their war on voting machines is going.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I actually had to look up what reintegrative therapy was. It's just ******* conversion therapy under another name, the ******* monsters.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
There's also another part where they talk about whether Texas should assert itself as a sovereign nation.

They're talking about secession.

Because that worked out great for the South last time.

Top Bottom