What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Cyoti

Citizen
It reminds me of a Trek message board from back in the distant past of the early 2000s. It did its best to be fair, transparent, democratic, all that. The rules were clearly spelled out, all warnings and bans were public, and there was a public forum to appeal such.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. There was one user in particular whose sole purpose in life was to get his post count on this board as high as possible. So he'd double and triple post, reply to himself, bump old threads, start new threads. And every time, enough people would complain that a new rule had to be instituted. 'No double posting within a certain time period.' 'You can only create a certain number of new threads per forum per day.' And so on.

The board was never willing to institute a basic rule, a rule 0 to say 'don't be a dick'.
Bad faith actors are a thing. But in both of these cases, the system were their enablers. In America, the right leaning judicial system are basically looking the other way while red states ban abortion and suppress voter turnout. In your case, the admins of that site even made that poster a moderator and I am pretty sure they even banned people who criticized him. I think it really shows that there needs to be further accountability within these opaque systems. Several justices on the Supreme Court such as Thomas have connections to right-leaning organizations such as the Federalist Society and yet they don't recuse themselves when there are conflicts of interests. I think the same is true once you go further down the judicial system.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Which, really, is just an argument for a nice machine tyranny. I mean, if you've got to live in a tyranny: might as well choose the one that will be obvious, predictable and logic driven.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
You say that as if every single powerful AI in the history of science fiction didn't go completely batshit insane because of a misplaced decimal point in their code.

And as if every AI developed in real life so far didn't end up being plagued with suspiciously human flaws.

Andross Darkheart

God Emperor of Hell
Citizen
You say that as if every single powerful AI in the history of science fiction didn't go completely batshit insane because of a misplaced decimal point in their code.

And as if every AI developed in real life so far didn't end up being plagued with suspiciously human flaws.
That is more a matter of perspective. The rogue AI from I Robot just wanted to keep everyone safe and do all their chores for them. If robots wanted to take over so they can clean my house and go to work for me, I would welcome our new machine overlords.

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
I wonder if the people who want so called bounty hunters to enforce this law in Texas realize that unless they are licensed and trained (with years of schooling under their belts) they are just vigilantes and not law enforcement and are therefore not subject to the protections afforded to law enforcement. In other word if they try to "bring in their bounties" they are committing assault (possibly assault with deadly weapon) and can be treated has such. Defending yourself or someone else from such an assault is not only a right but a responsibility.

Andross Darkheart

God Emperor of Hell
Citizen
In a sense, they are right. The Republican party panders to white Americans and isolates minorities. Those minorities will naturally shift to Democrat. As minority populations grow, white populations shrink, Republicans will slowly lose political power. Which leaves Republicans in a bind, the party could become more inclusive to minorities to gain power, but it would be devastating to an individual's career as those people who did become inclusive would be replaced by people who stayed exclusive. And no one is willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the party.

Andross Darkheart

God Emperor of Hell
Citizen
I wonder if the people who want so called bounty hunters to enforce this law in Texas realize that unless they are licensed and trained (with years of schooling under their belts) they are just vigilantes and not law enforcement and are therefore not subject to the protections afforded to law enforcement. In other word if they try to "bring in their bounties" they are committing assault (possibly assault with deadly weapon) and can be treated has such. Defending yourself or someone else from such an assault is not only a right but a responsibility.
I'm not sure how it works, but I imagine it is more like a hotline where you just call in and snitch on people to collect the bounty.

Andross Darkheart

God Emperor of Hell
Citizen

NovaSaber

Citizen
Unlike the debt, Mitch McConnell's hypocrisy knows no limits
https://archive.is/HgCs7
McConnell has declared that Senate Republicans will not vote to increase the Treasury’s authority to continue borrowing, which is the same as voting to allow a default. As he has done before, McConnell has essentially created a new rule out of whole cloth to justify his actions.

“Let me make it perfectly clear. The country must never default. The debt ceiling will need to be raised. But who does that depends on who the American people elect,” McConnell told Punchbowl News on Tuesday, acknowledging he will vote for a policy outcome he says he doesn’t want to occur.

Because Democrats control the White House and both branches of Congress, his argument goes, they alone are responsible for safeguarding the government’s creditworthiness and preventing a potential economic calamity.
No such rule exists, nor has it ever.

Andross Darkheart

God Emperor of Hell
Citizen
McConnell is willing to destroy the economy just so he can blame it on Democrats. That is evil. What makes it more evil that it won't be that hard to convince his base that it is Biden's fault.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Funny thing is the Texas law doesn't allow people to arrest other people for performing or aiding in an abortion(that would still be done by the local Sheriff departments), it simply allows citizens to SUE them. Can't wait for the countersuits to make it so much of a hassle that all but the most hardcore even bother with it. The bounty is given to the party bringing the suit against the other party, so those call-in lines don't have to pay the tipsters one cent. It's gonna turn into a chaotic mess.

Andross Darkheart

God Emperor of Hell
Citizen
I'm not sure why they want to ban gay marriage. What improvements do they expect that to have on society? Probably just out of smite. I bet they think if they restore all the former religious restrictions that America will be restored to it's former glory and all those conspiracy nuts on the Right will finally settle down.

Top Bottom