What is a Super Soldier?

Axaday

Citizen
I felt like it was clear in "Captain America: The First Avenger" that Steve didn't have super powers. He was just absolutely everything that a man can be. Wasn't it? We eventually saw him do some things that were really real, but they were in the normal range of things movie heroes do.

Have they betrayed that at this point or just overloaded the term? I never had the impression from the movies that Bucky had anything except some cybernetic enhancement and mental programming. Then comes "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" and Bucky can jump 15 feet in the air and a bunch of baddies can too. I felt like the show said or implied that they had rediscovered THE super serum, but maybe I misunderstood. It seems like they quietly redefined a super soldier into being a meta.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've never really read modern comics, but I had a lot of my dad's old silver age comics that I used to read when I was a kid, including a reprint of the Captain America origin story. In that, they definitely explicitly say that the serum doesn't give you super powers, only makes you an absolute peak normal human.

In the movies, though, I always got the impression that the serum gave you low-level metahuman powers. Steve definitely was doing things above and beyond standard human level. Him and Black Panther seemed to be on a pretty even level.

Top Bottom