Well I knew shopping at Gamestop would bite me someday.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
So I pre-ordered that special edition of Bayonetta 3. I know it came out last weekend. I was only able to do the five bucks down minimum for it, but I was happy to have it pre-ordered.

Last weekend I was at a convention and they called me during it. I couldn't answer the phone and they left a voicemail. Noticed it today and listened to it.

So the message was basically said: "Hey we have your game, but after today we won't be holding it. It'll be for sale to anyone"

And I've tried calling them about this, but keep getting an automated response and when I ask to talk to an associate, it says they're all busy and to call back later. It says this every time I call.

I'm really annoyed by this. My friends are asking if there isn't some law or policy that's supposed to be in place that says items are supposed to be held for like 30 days or something, but I have no idea. I just know that I'm probably going to have to march in there on Saturday when I have the day off to basically get a refund as I really doubt they still have a copy.

And I'm sure someone is going to lecture me about pre-ordering with Gamestop or something. Bleh.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It sounds like they are slightly confused about the concept of preordering. I'd check your local laws but I'd be surprised if they consider scenarios like this yet.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The store near me usually give 48 hours to pick up a preorder, then it goes up for sale and they give you store credit for the deposit amount. Whether they actually bother to wait depends on if the clerk knows and/or likes you.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
In the past I had like a week to pick up an order. Not sure when that changed. They probably gave the 48 hour thing. I don't know. Con was packed and cells don't work great.

Regardless it's just really annoying that I get one call I missed and now am just hugged on getting that. Like why did I even bother pre-ordering if this is the system?

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Gamestop's on a rapid decline after being artificially boosted by Reddit. I hate to say it but with only $5 down, they probably had to turn the game in a vain attempt to keep their lights on.

It's a zombie retailer, only animated thanks to Internet Memethink.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Yeah I really might just have to turn to Amazon for most of my purchase needs. A shame. There used to be some good independent stores around here, but they closed down. I really don't want to rely on places like Wal Mart and Target for games, and Best Buy seems like they are trying to phase out all movies, music, and games.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
So I had checked around to see if I could buy the game (Limited Edition) anywhere online and was met with nothing. Then suddenly Amazon seemed to have it a few minutes ago so I ordered it. It went through, so hopefully I'll get a copy.

Gamestop can go bleep itself if it wants to play that game.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
It's been 24-48hrs as long as I remember. They've stopped calling as a reminder, though, even with an automated message. I still prefer to support them over Amazon.

Best Buy still has games, sometimes you can get older stuff there. Def gone downhill since they started selling appliances. One even had Lovesac seating.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
It's very possible it was a week for me personally as I used to be able to go in there often enough that I knew everyone working there. I even used to drop by from time to time on my way to and from work to do business but they closed that location. Now the only ones near me aren't really that far, but they are out of the way if I'm heading to work.

I really doubt I'm going to outright stop going to Gamestop, but in this particular situation, I really doubt they have a copy still laying around the store, so I'm going with Amazon.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I still use Game Stop's preorder as a layaway option. But that's really the only thing. If it weren't for the layaway style preorder, I'd probably just go Best Buy; though like someone already pointed out, they've kinda gone downhill lately.

As much as I hate to say it, buying digitally is really edging out physical media. And it's not because consumers don't want physical, it's just that stores are providing less and less physical options.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Yeah, it's why I've ended up so big on Limited Run Games. Even if they seem to have their own problems. I'm just not willing to go digital if I can have physical. I'm a stubborn fool who will put in the effort for a physical copy no matter what.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Ehh.. After Limited Run started getting games to stores before the people who actually pre-ordered them... I kinda stopped using them if I can.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
There aren't too many of those games that I go for. A lot of them in the last year have been collector editions. Like that suitcase that opens up and plays music for Scott Pilgrim. Those aren't likely to show up in stores. I don't think I've seen any of the VR games in stores either.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
*Pinches nose* And I get bitten one last time from this. So look. I'll freely admit I'm not that smart.

See I don't buy that much from Amazon. Usually just Christmas gifts for others. So when I saw that Baoynetta 3 Masquerade edition. I jumped on it and didn't think anything of it. I noticed it had a delivery date of like a couple of weeks out, but I chalked it up to them waiting on a re-stock.

What I DID NOT think about was I guess when that happens they treat it like a pre-order and don't charge you until they have the item actually in stock and they are shipping it out to you. I'm sure that makes sense to some people, but since I didn't think they'd do it that way. I've been going through this last week on the assumption that my checking account balance reflected that charge. IT DID NOT.

The game shipped yesterday, and today I got an email saying my account was overdrawn. So here I am buying some Christmas gifts, groceries, and think I have the money for my bills and stuff set aside in my bank only for OOPS NO YOU DON'T.

*Sighs* Got money from a friend. Gotta hope I don't need to buy anything this week now. Thank god I get paid on Friday.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Been there. And like sometimes I'll preorder something and it'll be so long before it comes in that I completely forgot I ordered it. Then the shipping notification comes in and I'll be like ooooooh crap!

I got two copies of Days of Future Past Rogue Edition because I forgot I'd already preordered it.

Top Bottom