Fanfiction Well, I finally got self-published at Fanfiction.net

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
With so much Web 1.0 content disappeared or disappearing, and Usenet not exactly easy to access (though I am assured that ATT still carries on, with something like around 5 people), I thought I would preserve one of my fan works for posterity.

So, 24 and a half years after its initial publication on ATT, I put up a BW fic that I'm still somewhat proud of, even if the ending is perhaps a little pat. I made some stylistic edits but largely left the text as it was. So, there we are. If anyone wants a link, one can always ask. :)

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I found out that fanfiction.net has a views tally function, and so I learned that 5 people (one from the UK) gave my story a look-over. Not big ratings or anything, but considering how fragmented everything seems to be these days, I will take.

And, you know, it exists, and is up. Which hasn't really been the case, Lexicon notwithstanding, since Geocities was taken down, so there's that.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You might want to look into Archive Of Our Own, too. When I started, that's where I was urged to put my stuff instead of FF.net, though I can't quite remember why.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
You might want to look into Archive Of Our Own, too. When I started, that's where I was urged to put my stuff instead of FF.net, though I can't quite remember why.
AO3 seems to be the "big league" of derivative-work display. I'm not sure myself how that came about -- perhaps from Marvel and Trek alternate-continuity fic writers, perhaps cross-pollination with Tumblr. At any rate, one local friend of mine is on both, though I myself don't know if my efforts are quite up to the AO3 standard yet. I discovered that I had a dormant FF account, and no idea how I got it, so recent events compelled me to make something from it....

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Well...

that adds a layer of intimidation.
And self-intimidation is the bane of creatives.

It likely doesn't help that I'd been a long time away from writing any sort of fiction until my surgical convalescence in 2021. Since then I've been trying to make up for things, mostly little Star Wars set pieces (my first new work was a long-promised bio of an acquaintance's' vintage Walrus Man action figure (who became known as "Colonel Frontbum" owing to this piece he did)), but when I saw the state of Transformers fan-made media and how little had been done to prevent the washing away of it....

I mean, the piece is an artifact of the time when it seemed that almost every fangirl (and there weren't many, back then) wanted to make a companion for Dinobot -- a mech who didn't seem to be really requiring it, but he does fit an archetype. And this particular story, well, kind of dashes things -- although with an aim of setting the Serious Growth of a character who might otherwise be out-of-place in the Beast Wars. (The plan, as much as anything was knowable to me, was that she would come back -- but after "Code of Hero". Then the events of "Feral Scream" would lead her to the Transmetal Plot Driver, and.... well, I'm getting ahead of myself. But then this was all 25 years ago, so perhaps I'm not?)

Anyway, it's not as though I'm shying away from criticism -- I myself think that things end perhaps a little bit too pat -- but I figured giving this now-vintage story a proper home was a good idea before I try anything related to, say, the all-too-brief IDW 2021 Beast Wars, or other such things as may inspire me. And test the waters in other fora before I start looking to AO3.

Anyway. Perhaps I should just put the link up, and see what other Allsparkers think, if anything.

Top Bottom