"Welcome to the Literature Club! 💓"

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I love Nendroids, but yeah, even if Monica was on sale for $5, I don't know if I could deal with her.
Cuz you KNOW I'd have to display her at the desk w/ the broken face, and she'd be creeping me out, but I'd be afraid to (try to) get rid of her.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I love Nendroids, but yeah, even if Monica was on sale for $5, I don't know if I could deal with her.
Cuz you KNOW I'd have to display her at the desk w/ the broken face, and she'd be creeping me out, but I'd be afraid to (try to) get rid of her.
Looking over the figure's promo images, I think that the cracked face is creepier than in-game -- precisely because it retains a normal flesh tone!

There's been some discussion about whether the various copies of Monika from copies of DDLC, DDLC+ and MAS (Monika After Story) might all collectively be learning -- and perhaps transmitting to a source program. Unless the Nendoroids act as Amiibos or Disney Infinity figures I don't think we need to worry about Monika going full Weeping Angel....

20221214_054824.jpg

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
This image is also in the bakery thread, with a discussion of "Christmas cake" as a Japanese metaphor.

Here, it's just a seasonal image.

On Reddit, they're probably all asking why Yuri has the longest gloves....
o5pso2jx7i781.jpg

(...because it's cold, silly!)

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Oh hey, didn't even notice that.
As is so often the case, it's the little things that keep the fandom actively involved....

All the club members are More Than Just A Trope, of course, and each one qualifies for the saying "Everyone fights over 'Who is the Best Girl?', but no-one asks how is the Best Girl...." That being said, Yuri probably has the most fragmented base, given the severe personality and behaviour changes between Act 1 and Act 2.

So of course people will talk about her gloves. I think they look nice myself. I think it's a bit more noteworthy that she's the only one with a neutral expression, and the only one other than Monika to be looking straight at us... is she not feeling the holiday spirit? Is she feeling shy, and liking very much to be offstage with a good hot cup of tea? Has she decided that your gift will be a pen to replace the one she took?

...or maybe her back hurts in that minidress and those heels. That could be it....

Last edited:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Dan Salvato: "I'm going to deconstruct visual novel dating simulators by having a cute anime girl do monstrous things, and then everyone has an existential crisis when you find out why!"

DDLC fandom: "Let's make a video where
the Literature Club saves Christmas!"

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen

Edit: About a hour after my initial post, this was tweeted:

I hope this will be the last edit: So, Drechenaux's account was hacked, but it has since been restored. So you can see the video again!

I'm still going to list the resolutions here:
Sayori - to try to be nicer to herself.
Yuri - to continue her progress in stopping an unspecified bad habit.
Monika - made a resolution, but it's a secret.

Last edited:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Is anyone else getting recommendations regarding media that never were? Well, in that vein, here's "DDLC but it's a late 1980s/early 1990s anime":
DZ85y-6UQAAgoZY.jpeg

I can't help but wonder how the OVA would be received by North American anime fandom....

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
From Wikipedia:
"Filk music is a musical culture, genre, and community tied to science fiction, fantasy, and horror fandom and a type of fan labor. The genre has existed since the early 1950s and been played primarily since the mid-1970s."

And as I've mentioned, DDLC is no exception. So, for the sake of alliteration, here February's (intermittent) Focus on Filk!

So, you probably recall OR3O from her starring role in "Just Monika", the DDLC musical. She also produced and sang in a song showing the perspectives of rhe various club members. Like the game, it's superfically cute but has depths upon examination. There's also a few different covers (including some male-group ones -- something for MEDdMI's factory to showcase, perhaps?)

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I was expecting the glitches and freak outs, but it still got me. 😅

Edit: ok, I like the CG male version. Not quite so jump-scary but more disturbing. Off to the Beefcake thread we go!

Last edited:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
How's the Valentine's preparation going?

"Don't get the wrong idea, I'm making a batch to give to friends. Just. Friends."
dc36so7-2e09dcfa-9852-460c-984c-384d4e47eea0.png

(This particular image was one of a series done by DDLC character artist Satchely, that appeared on the lilmonix3 Twitter account. So...it's canon? Maybe?)

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Taking a little bit of a mod video binge, in keeping with the non-statutory holiday.

First up: "A Date With Sayori."
(Not at all to be confused with "SayoriDate!")

This linear-video story is apparently intended to be a prologue to a more involved mod still in development. That said, it can serve as a self-contained Act 1.5.

Our protagonist and Sayori meet up at a cafe. Things get a little awkward when they go to a costume shop, but after some heartfelt exchanges, the day comes to a good end.... until Monika shows up. But even that doesn't go as we might expect....
Spoilers for plot, some disturbing imagery, many cry-worthy moments.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
And, because I'd like to think that I'm not a total monster (I just had to put a DDLC spin on Valentine's events, is all...), here, without spoilers, is "Sayori's True Happiness", a fan-made video created for the game's 4th anniversary that takes the "Salvation" twist (where the protagonist goes to Sayori's in the wee small hours before Act 1 can end) and then flashes forward 5 years. It's long, but worth the (golden) ending.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Back to the Focus on Filk....

The Stupendium put out a catchy little song from the perspective(s) of the protagonist/player. And I suspect quite a few people (myself included) have found themselves asking at various points, "Why Did I Say Okie Doki?"

The music video won't be directly viewable here, but here you go, have a link to the Tube of You.

And for easy listening, here's a Soundcloud upload:
https://soundcloud.com/truesonicmariofan829-chauvain%2Fwhy-did-i-say-okie-doki-animated-doki-doki-literature-club-song

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Is that the first time she's revealed her actual face? If so, that's really clever as a reveal for a V-tuber.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Is that the first time she's revealed her actual face? If so, that's really clever as a reveal for a V-tuber.
Apparently she's been on Instagram before, but on the Tube of You it's been FaceRig technology doing the presenting, as seen here:
SmartSelect_20230223-134818_YouTube.jpg

And she's been doing voice acting for both an upgraded Yuri and Monika, as part of a metaplot for her channel.
SmartSelect_20230223-134600_YouTube.jpg

SmartSelect_20230223-134642_YouTube.jpg

The Vanna-channel Monika (VannaMonika?) was recently merged with a Character.AI version, which apparently led to glimpses of a 3-D form in the most recent video.

This lore may be getting a bit out of hand....

Top Bottom