War Sci-fi Fantasy Horror Mystery Crime Thriller

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I started watching this Showtime Penny Dreadful series:

I liked it but for some reason I stopped watching it in the middle of the 2nd season when it got too weird for me.

It only went 3 seasons so it must not have been that great.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Production-wise, it's because back in the 60s-70s BBC wanted to continue the show but had to replace the main actor, so they wrote up a justification that allowed them to continue the show while giving the character a refresh, which is why it's still around to this day. They can replace the actor without replacing the character, and keep chugging along.

In-universe, it's because the Doctor is a member of an alien race that, when they suffer fatal injuries or reach the end of their normal lifespan, can regenerate into a new incarnation of themselves as an adult. (Whether that means Gallifreyan or not is an open question, depending on if you believe the Master was telling the truth that time.) Theoretically there is a limit of 12 regenerations, but because of reasons that would require a discussion of their own, the Doctor has gone beyond that.

They're all the same Doctor, but with a new face and personality quirks each time.

Asking who's the best Doctor is like asking who's the best Trek Captain, you're going to get a lot of different answers. I liked 4 the best of the classic Doctors, followed by 7 and 6. Of the post-revival Doctors, 12 is my favorite so far, as he gave me a very "classic Doctor" vibe. 13 did kind of call back to 5 though I think, and while Tennant is technically 14(I say technically as he was already the 10th Doctor, and there may be some hijinks going on with this regeneration), the "real" 14(or maybe everyone will call him 15 going forward - assuming we keep numbering them) is supposed to debut during or after the upcoming specials.

It's been running for 60 years(with a long break between the late 80s and early 2000s) and can easily keep running if the will is there, thanks to regenerations.

Cybersnark

Citizen
It's been running for 60 years(with a long break between the late 80s and early 2000s) and can easily keep running if the will is there, thanks to regenerations.
Even more useful than the Doctors are the companions; the Doctor always travels with at least one person from the "present day" (whenever that is, production-wise), who is there to ask questions and get things explained to them.

Also to be the Doctor's conscience. The Doctor has tried going without, on occasion, and it never ends well.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Why are there so many different Doctor Who’s?

Who’s the best?

For a show that has been around for about sixty years and maintain the same character, a gimmick is required and its called Regeneration, where they basically swap out actors, the Doctor isn't human, he is an alien, from another world called Gallifrey, where the people are so advanced that they created a means to contuine to live longer by regeneration thou they kind of die, yet are reborn in a new form, his people invented Time Travel and use ships called Tradis's to travel across the universe, the Doctor's Tradis is a bit of a quirky machine and decided that it liked the 1960s police phone box as its extentor and refuses to change it, despite the Doctor's repeated attempts to fix the problem, his race is also known as Time Lords due to their masterary over time and they can live for thousands of years, partly through regeneration!

As for who is the best, that depends whom you ask, for many, the classic era, would be Tom Baker as he is the longest serving Doctor in its history and very beloved by fans, modern day, it be David Tennant, again, depends whom you ask as everyone has a favourte Doctor and each actor normally tends to bring their own charm to the roles, Matt Smith for example, he is the youngest actor to play the character and he bought an energy that shows he is having a blast as the Doctor, this clip really shows his energy as a actor and marks him as one of UK's finest actors:

Of course, the Doctor has many enemies, thou his most common enemy is the Dalaks but they are but one threat as a lot of the eps involve one off villians, but some do manage to reappear time to time, so if you really want to get into Doctor Who, I would start with the Ninth Doctor as that was the beginning of the modern era where the show came back from a break of about sixteen years after a reramp and what came before is treated as cannon but not nessary to watch thou its good to go back and watch some of those classic stories, such as Genesis of the Dalaks, which is a must see for Dalak fans as it tells of their origins and fits right in with the theme of this thread!

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The 80’s had some creepy, supposedly kid friendly sci-fi like Gremlins and E.T.

E.T. and Gizmo scared me.

Gremlins is the reason the PG-13 rating was added. It was PG but I had to close my eyes throughout much of the movie.

I did not like the ET bean-bag doll someone gave us. And I wish my parents would not have bought the ET cereal.

Yoda was creepy too. He looked demonic.

The Incredible Hulk TV show was horror to me, I dreaded the hulk-outs. I think Mr. Rogers visited the set and did an episode on it because it was scaring kids.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The age rating in the UK didn't change until Spiderman (Toby 1st outing) came along and was given a 15+ rating but an outcry caused the rating system to add 12A which means any child under 12 could see it as long they were with an adult

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The Gold Key Star Trek comics look very nostalgic Sci-Fi Fantasy, beautiful artwork:

IMG_2512.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

The 60’s and 70’s seem like the Golden Age of Sci-fi. They have a certain daring, risk-taking, bordering on weird quality to them that stretched the imagination and pushed the boundaries of possible.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I never read this popular book. I never saw the 80’s movie starring Sting. And I never saw this current Dune movie:

I heard they made a sequel.

I just never had the desire, What’s all the hype and hoopla about?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
“The Fly” is the grossest sci-fi movie of all time. Do not see it if you don’t want to vomit. It’s an assault and violation on your eyes and mind. You will be scarred for life. That sh#t was nasty!

Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Eh, The Fly has its moments, but maybe you should check out John Carpenter's The Thing before handing over the reward...

Glitch

Citizen
Braindead/Deadalive by Peter Jackson might edge out both with it's level of gore though it's not Sci Fi.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The end of the “The Fly” was the sickest, most horrifying, demented, frightening, nightmarish, tragic, offensive, creepy, heartbreaking and disgusting scene of all time, so much so I could not post it because it would be criminal.

It just goes to show you that love has its limits. It can only go so far. It has a breaking point.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I think I saw all the Alien movies, or at least most of them, but ended up not seeing this:

The creators said it was not connected to the Alien movies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I really liked “Interstellar”:

I think they did a good job in presenting time dilation (ie. time travel into the future) and how it’s much harder to time travel to the past because of the enormous amount of energy it would take.

Even in a black hole or a wormhole Matthew McConaughey could only send back information to the past via Morse code (ie. bits of data).

Also, there are dishes in this movie in the form of Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
If you want some fun horror here’s my list:

1. Friday the 13th
2. Halloween
3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Carrie
5. Nightmare on Elm Street

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The X-files was popular when it was on, but it hasn’t aged well. I don’t think people watch it anymore. It’s no longer classic sci-fi.

I don’t know why Dexter is popular. That actor has no credibility in that role after playing the gay guy in six feet under.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I did not see “Venom” even though I like Spider-man because Venom is scary, horrifying, creepy, and disgusting.

However, it was good enough to get a sequel which makes me think it was good. But Carnage is also disturbing, deranged, nasty, and nightmarish.

Top Bottom