War Sci-fi Fantasy Horror Mystery Crime Thriller

Axaday

Citizen
This looked like a War Sci-fi Fantasy that had potential:

I think it was based on a book or books.
I enjoyed that movie and yes it is based on a book. The movie could have been a series, except I think it didn't do very well.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I enjoyed that movie and yes it is based on a book. The movie could have been a series, except I think it didn't do very well.

I think if they had called it "John Carter of Mars", it would have maybe gained more attention. That said, didn't it go up against the first Avengers movie? That probably didn't help, either.

Axaday

Citizen
I think if they had called it "John Carter of Mars", it would have maybe gained more attention. That said, didn't it go up against the first Avengers movie? That probably didn't help, either.
It came out a couple months before Avengers. If it were going to succeed it would have done so before Avengers showed up.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
The story I heard is that Disney balked at putting Mars in the title of their sword-and-planet film... because "Mars Needs Moms" tanked at the box office.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
The story I heard is that Disney balked at putting Mars in the title of their sword-and-planet film... because "Mars Needs Moms" tanked at the box office.

That...makes a sort of corporate sense. Except Tarzan is probably the only Edgar Rice Burroughs character you could get away with that in a movie title. John Carter just isn't that well known. From a moviegoers standpoint, that would be like remaking The Land That Time Forgot but just calling it The Land.

Cybersnark

Citizen
There's also how they utterly failed to market it.

Basically, anyone who wasn't already a Burroughs fan didn't even know it was coming --or what it was, since most of the trailers made it look like a zany, quip-filled comedy.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’d like to kill off the entire zombie apocalypse genre. It’s a silly idea and it’s getting really, really boring. How are people able to stand watching on screen a bunch of people pretending to be the undead. Some of it is pretty ridiculous, like someone is shooting amateur home movies of their friends in poorly done up costume and make-up jobs walking around like zombies. It’s not fooling anyone.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I just wish everyone who picks up a camera would stop thinking they're the next Romero.

Seriously, every film student has their own zero-budget zombie movie, and they're all exactly the same.

Axaday

Citizen
The only zombie movie I have seen is World War Z and I know for absolute fact that it can't be the best one. And I am also pretty sure it isn't exactly the same as the others. It surely stands separately the bottom.

Edit - I have also seen "The Road" which might be a zombie movie and if it is it is a very clever one. But it is probably a Terminator movie, though.

Last edited:

Cybersnark

Citizen
I thought this was a Conan movie:

I believe it was intended to be (the Red Sonja and Conan comics were in the same universe, and Ahnold is definitely playing a campier version of his Conan), but the producers/rights-holders said no.

I think most Conan movie aficionados either ignore the movie in general (it's really not that good) or headcanon it as Conan using a fake name for whatever reason.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
There's also how they utterly failed to market it.

Basically, anyone who wasn't already a Burroughs fan didn't even know it was coming --or what it was, since most of the trailers made it look like a zany, quip-filled comedy.

I think the marketing was in the name John Carter with the initials J.C. as in Jesus Christ.

I heard there was a lot of Christian imagery used in the film.

John Carter himself sort of was made up to look like what we would imagine Jesus to resemble.

And I heard the movie ended by flashing the initials JC on the screen.

Maybe people did not go see it because they wanted the real deal.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Horror in the 70’s and 80’s was at the peak of popularity with movies like Friday the 13th, Halloween, Chucky, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist, etc.

All of that seems to have fallen by the wayside and Horror really needs to be mixed in with Sci-fi to be viable.

The greatest Horror Sci-fi TV show of all time is:

It was way ahead of its time in writing and creativity.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Time travel is my favorite Sci-fi. There’s just not anything out there that does it well. I’ve never watched Dr. Who, but I’ve seen whole conventions devoted, dedicated to that one show, Quantum Leap and Back to the Future are uninteresting, boring, and too mundane.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Time travel is my favorite Sci-fi. There’s just not anything out there that does it well. I’ve never watched Dr. Who, but I’ve seen whole conventions devoted, dedicated to that one show, Quantum Leap and Back to the Future are uninteresting, boring, and too mundane.

I recomend that you do check out some of Doctor Who, there is a lot of great stories in it, well up until Jode era, when the quailty nosedives majorly, anyway:
Here is three videos that might give you a bit of a insight into Doctor Who:

First off, one of the best speeches in the show that shows the depth of the character that is the Doctor:

This one is a mix of footage that kind of covers the central plot of the modern revival series

A scene from the classic series when Tom Baker was the Doctor, where the show questions the choice of Genoside and effects upon history:

On the subject of War, in anime, there is two series that I can think of, that does war on a galatic scale:
First off, is Legend of Galatic Heroes, a story that tells things from both sides of the confict, no super robots, just space battle ships and miltray smarts: combined with political stuff going on

The other is Armoured Fleet Dairugger XV, better known in the west as Vehicle Voltron, I know the Lion Voltron AKA Go Lion Go, was more sucessful and popluar but its confict wasn't really a full blown space war, sure some battles took place on other planets but for much of the series it was pretty much just the lions taking on the forces of King Zarkion and Prince Lotor, while with Vehicle Voltron, it starts out as explorers, roaming the comsos in serach of new worlds to live on, before it esculates into a full blown space war and despite having a powerful robot at their disposal, it takes far more ships to destory the enemy forces in the end and the stakes get higher, of course, one of the enemy forces actually has a good character arc that plays out across the series, which makes him more intersting than Lotor or Zarkon in my eyes, of course, the war playing out across the galaxy has consquences or rather, the ones doing the attacking, they actually attack Earth and do serious damage thou its not Voltron that drives them off but allies of Earth, thou its what drives the aliens that makes the show more intersting, I think the reasons it didn't quite connect with kids is, the size of the cast of characters and the fact the story is actually more adult focused where things aren't Black & White, in Go Lion, Lotor & Zarkon don't go through much of a character arc and until the end, they are pretty much evil, through and through, while Hazar is far more complex of a character

Top Bottom