War Sci-fi Fantasy Horror Mystery Crime Thriller

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
ID4 is honestly a fun movie, if a bit optimistic about the compatibility of operating systems. You should check it out (on July 4th, for authenticity).

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Battlestar Galactica is supposed to be considered good war sci-fi.

The original 1978 show flopped and was canceled after only 1 season, so I’ve heard.

I know nothing about the basic plot which means it never made it into the pop culture consciousness.

It must have found a following somewhere since they made a remake of the show that seemed to be fairly successful.
The basic plot is almost entirely given in the opening and ending narrations. There are some parts of the show that made it into the pop culture consciousness before the remake, such the classic Cylon design, but it never caught people the way Star Trek or Star Wars did, despite having regular representation among Schi-Fi conventions(in that way faring better than, say, Buck Rogers.) Sci-Fi channel and some other channels did keep re-airing it now and then too, but like Babylon 5(until this past week) it hasn't had anything in years to "refresh" it back into the cultural zeitgeist, and the remake floundered at the end, which didn't help it find a continued audience for the spinoffs.

And yeah, Galactica's '78 series ended after 1 seasons in the same way there was only 1 Matrix movie made. Or how the original Highlander never got a direct sequel movie.
If you don't get the joke, there was a second season called Galactica 1980 that retooled the show almost entirely around 1980s Earth, and it failed horribly. The only episode most people acknowledge from it was the last one, as it referenced their Starbuck's fate and may as well have been an episode of the previous season

I can say it had more of an impact than, say, Space 1999.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
There is this sci-fi movie I’ve never scene:

It feels like Dune, which I also have never read or seen. It’s just another one of those stories I notice other people seem to like.

Stargate seemed to have took off with different tv shows based on the movie, becoming a whole franchise.

I was never interested in it but it must have been popular.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I may have to watch this one of these days:

I wasn’t aware Filmation gave him an origin story. Something they did not do for He-man.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’m thinking I might like the original Macross better than Robotech:

I’ve only seen Robotech. Macross seems less depressing, more hopeful.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Since as I recall you don't like subs, there is a straight-up dub of Macross out there if you do want to give it a try sometime. ADV apparently was who produced it, if that helps any. I want to say there was another, but quick searches aren't helping any there.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The old style Japanese animation looks better than new anime:

It looks more realistic. The new stuff seems too bright and shiny. The old shool anime seems more textured and you can see more detail.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Best War Sci-fi Fantasy action sequence of all time:

by the greatest War Sci-fi Fantasy couple ever!

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
This might be the best live action giant robot series, depending how it plays out, but one thing is for sure, its a hell of a impressive looking CGI robot

Volt in Sequence (not best quailty on this)

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
That's because it was part of the inspiration for Golion, which became Voltron. Gatchaman aka G-Force laid down the original idea of this team achetypes, which then got combined with the giant robot concept in what's nicknamed the "Robot Romance Trilogy" even though only Combattler V and Voltes V( the one above) used it(Daimos had a single pilot), then Golion drew inspiration from the V twins in the 5-part combination used in combination with these archetypes.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
That's because it was part of the inspiration for Golion, which became Voltron. Gatchaman aka G-Force laid down the original idea of this team achetypes, which then got combined with the giant robot concept in what's nicknamed the "Robot Romance Trilogy" even though only Combattler V and Voltes V( the one above) used it(Daimos had a single pilot), then Golion drew inspiration from the V twins in the 5-part combination used in combination with these archetypes.

In other words, they are apart of the same era of anime

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The greatest and happiest moment in War Sci-fi anime history is this:

If only we got the future adventures of Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is the most long, boring, overrated War Fantasy trilogy ever to be adapted for the screen.

Dungeons and Dragons has no War Sci-fi story that anyone is familiar with; all most people know is that it was a role-playing game in the 80’s. And most people don’t know how to play it. I still don’t.

As far as I know, the Dungeons and Dragons story is just whatever you make up.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Elder Scrolls started as a D&D campaign being played by the developers IIRC, which gave us Arena.

I also see someone's never heard of the Dragonlance or Eberron settings(which is fair considering how much Greyhawk, then Faerun were/are pushed). Or Dark Sun, for that matter. Dark Sun is... yeah.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I recall Dragonlance being quite the big deal, having multiple NYT bestsellers back before bulk-buying made the phrase meaningless. Unfortunately, TSR got the bright idea of giving the setting its own game engine seperate from AD&D -- this at the same time that Spelljammer and Planescape were encouraging inter-setting crossovers.

I also recall that a lot of fans checked out around the time of the Great Dragon Overlords carving out dominions (though Khellendros, at least, struck me as interesting through his motivations and ties to the original trilogy).

Top Bottom