"Vintage Beast Wars" reissue line

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sorry. Scorponok and Tigatron are next, plus leaked listings of Terrorsaur, Tarantulas, Cybershark, and K-9.
I hope they reissue Rhinox and Waspinator at all.

That said I feel a bit warm and fuzzy at so many of these molds still being around in some form.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's great too! I wasn't sure, so I tacked on "in some form" because I figured it wouldn't be as simple as that. But thanks, this is neat.

Nevermore

Citizen
Here's a complete comparison between all packaging versions of Scorponok:

1996 US:
Mega_Scorponok_US_1.jpgMega_Scorponok_US_2.jpg

1996 Canadian/Latin American:
Mega_Scorponok_CA_1.jpgMega_Scorponok_CA_2.jpg

1996 European English/Spanish/Italian version 1:
Mega_Scorponok_EN_ES_IT_A1a.jpgMega_Scorponok_EN_ES_IT_A2b.jpg

1996 European English/Spanish/Italian version 2:
Mega_Scorponok_EN_ES_IT_B1.jpgMega_Scorponok_EN_ES_IT_B2.jpg

1996 European French/Dutch/German:
Mega_Scorponok_FRL_NL_DE_1b.jpgMega_Scorponok_FRL_NL_DE_2.jpg

2021/2022 reissue:
BW Scorponok reissue 1.jpgBW Scorponok reissue 2.jpg

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Here's a complete comparison between all packaging versions of Scorponok:

1996 US:
View attachment 3509View attachment 3510

1996 Canadian/Latin American:
View attachment 3511View attachment 3512

1996 European English/Spanish/Italian version 1:
View attachment 3513View attachment 3514

1996 European English/Spanish/Italian version 2:
View attachment 3515View attachment 3516

1996 European French/Dutch/German:
View attachment 3517View attachment 3518

2021/2022 reissue:
View attachment 3519View attachment 3520
How has this mold never been redecoed in G1 colors?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
He still works there?
No, but he was back when the mold was in use, and he and his team were always looking to the future, how to make things new and different from what all came before, rarely ever making homages to G1 at the time.

The real G1 homages didn't really start until Energon, by which point the mold was long since out of use.

This was the guy that always kept saying "No" to every fan request at BotCon for a return of more 1980s G1 characters and concepts.

It took the switch from Archer to Warden for us to really get that return, which we've had since Combiner Wars onward.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I'm sure the copyrights on names and characters coming up due had absolutely nothing to do with it. :D

Don't get me wrong: I like the homages, I like the new takes on existing characters, but I do like the new stuff too.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
No, but he was back when the mold was in use, and he and his team were always looking to the future, how to make things new and different from what all came before, rarely ever making homages to G1 at the time.

The real G1 homages didn't really start until Energon, by which point the mold was long since out of use.

This was the guy that always kept saying "No" to every fan request at BotCon for a return of more 1980s G1 characters and concepts.

It took the switch from Archer to Warden for us to really get that return, which we've had since Combiner Wars onward.
Man, Warden got us some epic toys!

Nevermore

Citizen
I'm sure the copyrights on names and characters coming up due had absolutely nothing to do with it. :D
What?

There are no "copyrights" on names (you're thinking of trademarks), and copyrights on characters surely don't expire that quickly (and once they do, they're gone, finished).

Also, trademarks being under threat of expiring every few years if they don't get used in commerce is an ongoing concern for Hasbro that wasn't limited to one specific point in time. It's just that their priorities which trademarks they feel are most worthy of keeping shift over time.

Meanwhile...

That is also incorrect. First of all, while Aaron got promoted from lead designer of the Transformers brand to "design director", he was still very much in control of the direction of the brand throughout Energon and Cybertron (which was also when the Alternators line happened).

Also, Warden supposedly didn't get involved with the Transformers brand until sometime around Thrilling 30. Before that, we had Classics, we had Universe, we had 2010 Generations, we had Reveal the Shield, and we had a shitton of G1 homages in the movie lines. Claiming that Warden is the main reason we ever got G1 homages is a gross rewriting of history.

Top Bottom