Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection - Transformers: Legacy subline at Walmart

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Oh man, which version of Hot Rod do I want?

Is SS even still easily available at a reasonable price?
I feel like SS86 Hot Rod made it into a second wave; I've seen a couple recently in the wild at Wal-Marts that hadn't had them before. Either that, or they had old cases that finally got opened. Anyway, if you have some retailers that have the SS voyagers, it's probably worth taking a look for Roddy if you want one close to retail.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I feel like SS86 Hot Rod made it into a second wave; I've seen a couple recently in the wild at Wal-Marts that hadn't had them before. Either that, or they had old cases that finally got opened. Anyway, if you have some retailers that have the SS voyagers, it's probably worth taking a look for Roddy if you want one close to retail.
They also recently reissued it in the new plastic-free packaging format.

I'm probably going to get this because Hot Rod, but I'll not rush to it given how much these are going for now. It looks okay, but I'd still rather have any of the other options for it. (and if they were going to hew so close to the first one, magenta would have been the preferable way to do that.)

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Well Hot Rod and Shadowstrip's bios are about as boring as possible. Hot Rod joined the race to show people he's fast and Shadowstrip is just described like Dragstrip, someone who'll do anything to win.

Crasher's is a hair more interesting, but just a hair. They describe her personality as "tough, hotheaded, and stubborn" which doesn't sound much like the cackling mad-woman from GoBots. And then says she'll demolish anyone who "crosses her in the wrong way" which begs the question if there's a right way?

-ZacWilliam, also they were clearly unsure what to say about her origin since it lists her as G2 (probably copied text from Shadowstrip) and based on her character from the Comic Books.

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
Velocitron Speedia 500 manga... 2!
Transformers-Legacy-Velocitron-Speedia-500-Manga-Part-2-01.jpg

Transformers-Legacy-Velocitron-Speedia-500-Manga-Part-2-02.jpg

love the chaos on velocitron group cameo mixed in with the legacy and other misc extras

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Man, the last two posts take you from utter despair over the soulless closest-thing-to-fiction Hasbro gives to this, to such glee at the fun signature bonkersness of Takara stuff.

Yeah, these four small crowded pages of fun Comic has made the Velocitron capsule my favorite TF toyline this year.Because they are a fun energetic story that clearly loves its subject.

-ZacWilliam, where as the rest of Hasbro's offerings are completely story less and hence so much more grey and lifeless.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I find it funny how the Commandos are drawn accurate to their Hasbro toys (decos that have never been used in any fiction before now) all because of their leader using his Hasbro name of "Scourge".

And it makes them the only 1980s G1 toy molds in a crowd of modern-day Generations-style molds.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
You mean you were expectign G2 Dragstrip to be something other then G1 Dragstrip in a new deco?

No. But then this is Shadowstrip. There's room for why the new name lore-bits, ("Has entered the race under an assumed name after Scourge forbid the Stunticons from competing.") or interesting "why's he in the race" story-bits ("Was ordered to help Scourge win, but has decided to go for it himself.") Or even just a mention of the new colors, ("Sporting new shadowy-stealth paint Dragstrip will win at any cost.")

There's room for creativity and interest and fun even in a one or two sentence tag.

ZacWilliam, restating Dragstrip's basic personality in the absolute simplest terms is not unexpected, it's just really boring, is what I was saying.

Last edited:

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
wonder what they're going to do for the crasher, shadowstrip, hot rod, mystery leader wave since the race is already over

Top Bottom