UK politics thread – it just keeps on getting worse

Ironbite4

Citizen
My sympathy for all the anti-Brexit people in the UK who now have to suffer the consequences they saw coming.
My sympathies for the people who now have to deal with being out of the EU and backed this all the way.

Ironbite-it's gonna be really really really bad.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Tory MPs are on the TV claiming that all of Europe has the same goods and fuels shortages as the UK, but “much worse”, and the supposed journalists never challenge or question the politicians. Pure propaganda.

Cyoti

Citizen
It really speaks to the dominance of the right-wing apparatus across the anglosphere that they can lie with impunity and people will accept it.

Anonymous X

Citizen

Not a bad blog piece… Notes how the UK government have switched within the last week from denying there are shortages to now saying shortages are a sign of how Brexit is ‘working’ as it was always meant to. (The Tories have also fully adopted the Labour Party’s scapegoating of EU citizens as “cheap labour” who are making everyone poorer.)

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
If certain commercials for charitable foundations are anything to go off, one in six just sounds like they've caught up to the status quo in the US.

Ironbite4

Citizen
I wonder what'll happen if someone finally calls these huggers out.

Ironbite-and just how bad it'll be.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
A lot of innocent people will be getting hurt, both physically and economically.

Teufel

Citizen
MP David Amess was stabbed to death in a church

British lawmaker David Amess, a member of Boris Johnson's ruling Conservative Party, died after being stabbed several times at a constituency meeting east of London.

Amess, 69, a member of Parliament who represented Southend West in Essex, was attacked at around midday Friday by a man who walked into a meeting with voters from his electoral district being held in a Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea.

"He was treated by emergency services but, sadly, died at the scene," Essex police said.

Here's what else we know about the investigation:

The suspect: A 25-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murdering Amess on Friday is believed to be a British national with Somali heritage, official sources have told the PA news agency. "A 25-year-old man was quickly arrested after officers arrived at the scene on suspicion of murder and a knife was recovered," Essex police said.

The investigation: The UK's Counter Terrorism Command will lead the investigation into the murder, police said later Friday. "It will be for investigators to determine whether or not this is a terrorist incident. But as always, they will keep an open mind," Ben-Julian Harrington, Chief Constable of Essex Police, told reporters.

Britain's second murdered lawmaker in five years: The killing was another grim moment in Britain's political history. It marks the second murder of a sitting British lawmaker in five years, after Labour MP Jo Cox was killed in her constituency in 2016, and has reignited discussions about the safety of the UK's elected officials.

In March, Amess asked a question in Parliament about how to stop "senseless murders" with knives, after a teenager in his constituency was killed in a knife attack.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Depressingly, it looks like the government are using the murder as a excuse to bring in draconian laws controlling social media. If this was 5 or more years ago I would be assuming that they’d soon quietly shelve the idea as unworkable, but now, after Brexit, I can easily see them going full China.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Well it's been a pleasure Anonymous X. Whenever you escape this dreary hellhole, look us up.

Ironbite-we're in the book.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Question is, can the UK build a national firewall as powerful as the Great Firewall of China? China's internet censorship apparatus still has lots of holes to this day and they've been working on it for over 20 years.

Cradok

Citizen
They'll farm it out to some mates for billions, and you'll end up with a cardboard box with 'Great British Firewall' written on it.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
A couple of days ago, New Zealand and the UK came to agreement over a new free trade deal. What I didn't see reported on the TV news is that the free trade deal includes NZ extending copyright terms by another 20 years, which is something that we've been resisting doing until now:
New Zealand has also agreed to bolster its copyright laws. Performer and artists' rights will be expanded, and a further 20 years added to copyright terms. This means, for instance, an artist can expect to retain copyright of their work for 70 years after their death, instead of the current 50 years.
There's a direct line between UK right-wing politicians painting lies on the sides of busses and NZ getting copyright law paid for by rich US Megacorporations.

Anonymous X

Citizen
That’s another issue with Brexit. The UK government is intent on trade deals with smaller countries on the other side of the world at the cost of destroying previous arrangements with a single economy of 450+ million people a short boat ride away. I mean, I support the idea of trading with NZ and want NZ to do well, but it’s not where we buy most of our fresh food from and isn’t connected to our manufacturing supply chains.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
They're just going after other Commonwealth countries so they can pretend they're getting the band back together.

Top Bottom