UK politics thread – it just keeps on getting worse

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Tell that to people who travel by train.

Can't be worse than the USA where we simply don't travel by train. I'd have to drive like 3 hours to get on one. Everybody just drives, contributing to Climate Change.

Nevermore

Citizen
Other things Germany messed up big time:
  • The Elbe Philharmonic Hall (massive cost and schedule overruns, finally opened in 2017, seven years later than originally intended)
  • Berlin Brandenburg Airport aka "BER" (massive cost and schedule overruns, finally opened in 2020, nine years later than originally intended)
  • Stuttgart 21 (massive cost and schedule overruns, still unfinished)
  • The Covid-19 vaccine rollout

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Okay, and? Every civil works project in quebec ends up being overpriced, late and usually so poorly done that they need to renovate or outright restart within a decade. Hell, the samuel de champlain bridge, the largest infrastructure project THIS CENTURY had to be stopped halfway through to correct the THIRTY THOUSAND CONSTRUCTION ERRORS committed during the first half of the project.

No system is perfect, and corruption will always claim some things. At least you can say it's not an outright systemic problem.

Like here: where the roads are literally killing people, and overpasses collapse.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Tell that to people who travel by train.
The trains in Germany are ultra luxury and ultra reliable compared to the ones here! ;) And ludicrously affordable. Believe me, I’ve compared. The €9 rail ticket deal sounds incredible as someone who has to pay the equivalent of ten times that for a return rail ticket to London Waterloo from within the south of England(!).

I’m quite aware Germany isn’t a utopia, and it has many social problems like the rest of the world, but there’s plenty about it to think it’s not a bad place to live on the grand scheme of things…

Last edited:

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So apparently the UK is hosting Eurovision this year, and it occurred to me: if Brexit meant being kicked out of Eurovision, practically everyone would have voted against it.

I think someone might have already made that joke last year.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
The one upside to the gas crisis in Europe is that there's a chance it'll get people to finally start looking into nuclear as a viable alternative. It's one thing to say "Oh we can just transition, very very gradually, to solar" when there's no deadline to wean yourself off fossil fuels, but when those fossil fuels have been forcibly cut off already...

Anonymous X

Citizen
The one upside to the gas crisis in Europe is that there's a chance it'll get people to finally start looking into nuclear as a viable alternative. It's one thing to say "Oh we can just transition, very very gradually, to solar" when there's no deadline to wean yourself off fossil fuels, but when those fossil fuels have been forcibly cut off already...
IMO there needs to be a Europe-wide Manhattan Project for renewables (I’m not anti-nuclear at all, I just realise it takes a long time, years, to get new nuclear power plants into operation). In the meantime, any European country who were aiming to shut down existing nuclear plants should really reverse their decisions on that..

Top Bottom