UK politics thread – it just keeps on getting worse

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
They're an actual "vaporwave Boris Bexit" video at YouTube, but I don't want to give the "Conservatives" channel the views. Instead, just like dodgy TF reviewers, I'll settle with a screenshot:

-
Screenshot_20220616-130620.jpg

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Reminder that Rita Skeeter was inspired by the London Times. Even J. K. Rowling in the 2000s knew about the British media's habit of downplaying the threat of fascism.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Looks like this was an error of numbers, as the actual figures (corrected in the digital version and later print editions) are 51%, 36% and 15%, so the bars are accurate, but the numbers on the bars are not.

The numbers shown are apparently for all the voters polled.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Godspeed, Scotland. Crossing my fingers that the EU will have a change of heart about keeping you out, or at least caves to pressure. It'd be pretty damn hypocritical to let Ukraine join but not you.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
My Great-Grandmother came from Scotland.

The way the US is going, it may be time I went "home", so to speak.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Godspeed, Scotland. Crossing my fingers that the EU will have a change of heart about keeping you out, or at least caves to pressure. It'd be pretty damn hypocritical to let Ukraine join but not you.
The EU can't offer Scotland candidate nation status under its current rules because Scotland's still part of the UK. If that changes, well, it won't be an automatic process, but given Scotland was in the EU and its predecessors for over forty years, it shouldn't be a massive problem to rejoin.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It shouldn't be a problem: but I bet it'll be a bigger thing than most want to assume if only because of pressure from the UK should the seperation vote go in favour of scotland. The "united" kingdom can't suddenly have all it's various "united" cultures realizing there's a better deal waiting for them elsewhere all they have to do is walk away from the "united" kingdom.

Canada was ready to declare martial law, and roll in an interim government in quebec should the seperation vote go against canadian unity. And THAT was during a more reasonable and rational moment in history. What will an ignorant, angry, reactionary government do NOW should scotland actually achieve what's best for the scottish?

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
My Great-Grandmother came from Scotland.

The way the US is going, it may be time I went "home", so to speak.

Do you have living relatives there now?

I often wonder how many Americans are starting to think of an exit strategy. It's certainly better to think one up and not need it....

Anonymous X

Citizen
Do you have living relatives there now?

I often wonder how many Americans are starting to think of an exit strategy. It's certainly better to think one up and not need it....
That site’s unofficial and out of date in some of its information, but I see what you mean.

TBH, anyone here who can get Irish citizenship, that’s an alternative route into the UK – Ireland’s criteria for getting citizenship by descent is far easier to match than Britain’s, and the UK treats Irish citizens essentially the same as British citizens, including full voting rights and so on. You also get a choice of 30+ other countries to live in via Irish citizenship also conferring EU/EEA citizenship.

Top Bottom