UK politics thread – it just keeps on getting worse

Anonymous X

Citizen
....they're using the Trump "LOOK AT HOW MUCH PAPERWORK I'M SAVING YOU" ploy?

Ironbite-ye gods the right wing is dumb
Actually the reverse – he’s complaining about the paperwork that Brexit now requires for importing/exporting from Britain to the EU and northern Ireland. Paperwork that would not need exist his party hadn’t taken the UK out of the EU.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
So, is anyone actually confronting them about that? You know, reminding the public and laying blame?

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Follow-up on the Thatcher statue situation:

Qe5jraO.jpeg

Gotta respect the hustle there.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Follow-up on the Thatcher statue situation:

Qe5jraO.jpeg

Gotta respect the hustle there.

"Can I offer you an egg in these trying times?"

One thing I will say for Britain. I always got the impression that Thatcher was near-universally reviled by her own people, unlike Reagan who is only really hated by the far-left, mildly disliked by anyone else left of the aisle, and lionized by fully half the country. Was she, like, actually worse than he was? Is such a thing even possible?

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
A bit more complex than that, but yeah. Thatcher brought the hammer down and provided the Argentinean government at the time with the distraction it desperately wanted (due to anti-government protests).

I'm not sure what honestly irks me more about it. The fact she played right into the junta's hands with her response, or that she was so rapidly prepared to shed blood for territories that had never been more than a footnote. Hell, the only reason Britain retained sovereignty into the 80s to begin with is because nobody thought them significant enough to detach.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Meanwhile in the US, if it were a black person, the police would likely shoot to kill as a precaution.
I wish I could contest this statement.
I have a black lady on my team who is terrified after Buffalo of coming to work.
She was blowing off some steam trying to joke around with an old watermelon cutting knife that she now had "protection".
And the first thought into my head was "Please put that down before someone shoots you."

This country is shit.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
A bit more complex than that, but yeah. Thatcher brought the hammer down and provided the Argentinean government at the time with the distraction it desperately wanted (due to anti-government protests).

I'm not sure what honestly irks me more about it. The fact she played right into the junta's hands with her response, or that she was so rapidly prepared to shed blood for territories that had never been more than a footnote. Hell, the only reason Britain retained sovereignty into the 80s to begin with is because nobody thought them significant enough to detach.
I suspect that the latter was more of a driving factor -- there was a general crossing-party-lines sense that the UK had lost enough territory after 1945, thank you (even Spitting Image, no friend of the Tory government, played into that with their cheeky anthem rewrite "Rule Britannia/Britannia rules not much!"), and the Foreign Office was telling the PM at around the same time that they should let China take back not only the leased territories of Hong Kong in 1997, but also Hong Kong Island proper (which had been ceded in perpetuity to the UK by the Qing dynasty after the First Anglo-Chinese War). Given that the Communist Party never recognized the treaties signed in the imperial era, and the far less certain outcome of a Third Anglo-Chinese War, the war that Thatcher got was probably a better outcome than the war she wanted.

The_empire_strikes_back_newsweek.jpg

One other side effect for the UK -- the still newly-democratizing Spain (King Juan Carlos ordered the army back to its barracks in the same year when some officers decided the experiment had gone on long enough) stopped asking for Gibraltar back after the Falklands War, and to my knowledge even the Brexit chaos and dragging out of negotiations hasn't brought up that bit of land. It's even more of a rock (at least you can raise sheep on the Falklands), but the UK has its naval base, for whatever good that'll do now.

Top Bottom