UK politics thread – it just keeps on getting worse

Anonymous X

Citizen
The government’s announced a move to imperial measurements from metric. No one under the age of sixty was taught solely imperial in school, and I certainly don’t have a clue about them. That’s Brexit, shitting over the younger generations to appease old reactionaries.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Next week they announce they're taking back India.
I was uncertain whether I should suggest that the falling apart of all the border agreements post-Brexit meant that Westminster would "ask" if they could have Ireland back.

Well, that's one way to spur on the 2024 reunification that Star Trek: the Next Generation predicted.... 🙄

Anonymous X

Citizen
Anyone living in Canada, Australia, NZ or elsewhere still with the British monarch as head of state – are they recognising the queen’s platinum jubilee over there? It’s plastered everywhere here, can’t avoid it. All the media, shops, libraries, etc. Enforced national celebration. Makes me feel sick at the sight of it all.

Anonymous X

Citizen
I was uncertain whether I should suggest that the falling apart of all the border agreements post-Brexit meant that Westminster would "ask" if they could have Ireland back.

Well, that's one way to spur on the 2024 reunification that Star Trek: the Next Generation predicted.... 🙄
you jest, but prominent Brexiteers did talk about “taking Ireland back from Brussels” and forcing Ireland into leave the EU. They’re pretty much quiet on that now, but the underlying line of thought about Ireland by Brexit supporters is that Ireland is a jumped up little colony that should know it’s rightful place.

Ironbite4

Citizen
My god they really want to go back to the Troubles don't they?

Ironbite-it's like the thin veneer of civilization that Britain had has been broken away and all that's left is...this.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Anyone living in Canada, Australia, NZ or elsewhere still with the British monarch as head of state – are they recognising the queen’s platinum jubilee over there? It’s plastered everywhere here, can’t avoid it. All the media, shops, libraries, etc. Enforced national celebration. Makes me feel sick at the sight of it all.
Yup, they're going on about it, but it's no where near as bad as it is in the UK.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Our local news has been talking about it -- often with the observation that Charles, Prince of Wales is doing more and more of the tasks that Elizabeth II has normally done year-to-year. No-one's coming out and predicting anything, of course, but while she'd sooner fall from the throne witless than abdicate (having never forgotten all the chaos caused by her uncle in 1936), the passing of Phillip may have affected her more than anyone's allowed to let on.

I'd also imagine -- though there's been no public promotion yet -- that our HBC department store chain, having been given a charter by the British Crown back in 1620 to trade in furs, likely has some obscure obligation for this sort of event that the board is looking through currently, to the confusion of its American shareholders.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
I mean, Charles himself doesn't look so hot. I remember a picture circulating a while back at an official function where his hands were incredibly bloated.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's not really "enforced", as you don't have to participate, right? In Japan, for example, teachers HAVE to sing the (arguably nationalistic) national anthem or risk losing their jobs.

Glitch

Citizen
It's certainly not being enforced in the north of England, there have been a lot of foreigners coming to the store wanting jubilee items, especially union jacks but it's no big deal, just an excuse for pub parties.

Anonymous X

Citizen
It's not really "enforced", as you don't have to participate, right? In Japan, for example, teachers HAVE to sing the (arguably nationalistic) national anthem or risk losing their jobs.
Not literally enforced, but that feeling that is almost is. Which honestly I don’t remember being the case back in 2002 or 2012. Way more visible. And way more sinister feeling, given the post 2016 world.

Anonymous X

Citizen
My god they really want to go back to the Troubles don't they?

Ironbite-it's like the thin veneer of civilization that Britain had has been broken away and all that's left is...this.
Many Tories, including senior minister Michael Gove, have been vocal for years that they consider the Good Friday Agreement to be a ‘surrender’ to Ireland. Plus problems emerging in northern Ireland would be a distraction to the public from other matters, and something else they can blame on the EU.

Top Bottom