UK politics thread – it just keeps on getting worse

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Yeah, she's still PM until her replacement is selected.

What a 6 week tenure. She managed to kill the British Economy AND the Queen!

Anonymous X

Citizen
The new Tory leadership election/coronation is going to been decided next week. So Truss will have been PM for a shorter period of time than the leadership campaign that actually elected her.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I was going to ask if this is the record for the shortest term of office any British Prime Minister has ever had, but I'm getting the weirdest feeling of deja vu. Is it just because I recently asked about the shortest gap between a new monarch and a new Prime Minister, or is this not even the first time in recent memory that somebody has spent a comically short time in office?

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
It's so short, YouGov only had time to generate one approval rating for her. And that approval rating was -60, beating Boris Johnson's record of -42.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Well, that's a horrible thought: why isn't being a sociopathic corporate stooge a disqualifying reason? And why am I getting deja-vue?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Those are valid excuses for her not to get the job in the first place.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
And yet here we are celebrating her getting fired.

Man, our culture is really fucked up that people like this are allowed near power in the first place.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
They're still in charge, so no. They learned nothing. They'll need to be two to three mandates out of office *in a row* to begin to think that maybe they might be the problem: but they're still politicians in the 21st century, so instead of critical thought: they'll double down on their previous bullshit.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
It's amazing that after Boris resigned and it took two months for them to elect a replacement, that they somehow have found a way to speed up the process such that they're replacing Liz Truss after a week or so.

MrBlud

Citizen
Well that’s the difference between an orderly evacuation and someone just running in and yelling “FIRE!” in a crowded theater.

Or yelling “AYN RAND!” in a struggling economy for a more apt example…

Top Bottom