Transformers: The Basics

Shadhausen

Citizen
I'm a huge fan of Alternators, but Kiss Players was definitely not my cup of tea. I'd actually still like to have one of those Autroopers, but I'm afraid trying to buy one would get me on some kind of list.
You're not missing much. The mold had degraded so much by that point that mine was a floppy mess that wouldn't hold together in either mode.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
No issues with my Autorooper.

Had to get an extra set MISB recently. Packaging is so ridiculous and over the top.

Attachments

• ppvasc.jpg
    ppvasc.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 80
  • -oktle5.jpg
    -oktle5.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 77

NovaSaber

Citizen
Oh dear. I had to switch that off partway through. I didn’t know that the Kiss Players stuff was that… Bad, having tried to avoid it.
Skip to 7:48 for the later part that dropped all the creepy stuff.
(I know the picture at that stamp is still kind of suggestive, but that's as far as it goes from that point forward.)

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Glit, Rossanna and the Autoroopers are good character additions to the TF universe. Making RiD part of G1 is an interesting if confusing and kinda silly move.

...Annnd I think those are the only good things I can think of to say about Kiss Players.

-ZacWilliam, otherwise as gross, embarrassing and regrettable as official stuff can get.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Making RiD part of G1 is an interesting if confusing and kinda silly move.
The thing that Western fans misunderstand due to their perspective of the Hasbro adaptation is that Japanese franchises are no stranger to loose continuity ties. Just look at Super Sentai, where three different dinosaur-based teams have met and worked together in the same crossover film despite their own series having contradictory depictions of the dinosaurs' extinction. It still works!

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ya not a vid I will give a like to. I would jest about a basics on Kiss Players but someone actually had to go and sponsor one.

I feel like that's kind of shooting the messenger there, but as you will.

What's too bad about Kiss Players is that there's some neat story beats and elements there, but they had to go and entangle it in all the squick.

That's not a defense of Kiss Players, of course, just a lamentation about some neat stuff that is basically ruined by the rest. It makes me wish they'd saved the cool stuff for something else, and just made the KP part its own separate universe, somewhere far beyond where even the TransTech could acknowledge its existence.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Anti-Transformer sentiment based around how a city got destroyed, a small number of Autobots on the run, and a government organization using artificial Transformers that aren't as fully under their control as they think as a result of their connection to Galvatron. Kiss Players is bad, and Age of Extinction is bad, but I feel like the fact that they're bad in entirely different ways suggests that the base concept has some promise.

Come to think of it, that's not entirely unlike the stuff John Barber had happening on Earth in RIDW/OP.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I've never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I'm told that the first arc of Kiss Players draws some heavy parallels to that series.

The Phazer

Citizen
That's not wrong tbh.

I am still absolutely baffled about how Hasbro ended up in a situation where that scene was in a film made of their IP designed for kids. It completely boggles the mind. They must have script approval, surely? Why didn't they immediately nix it?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The basics on Kiss Players seems like a very good idea to me, because people need to be warned.

"This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited."

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
That's not wrong tbh.

I am still absolutely baffled about how Hasbro ended up in a situation where that scene was in a film made of their IP designed for kids. It completely boggles the mind. They must have script approval, surely? Why didn't they immediately nix it?
Honestly, I wonder if you've got it backwards and that scene was added in response to someone at Hasbro taking issue with adult Shane being just-graduated-from-high-school Tessa's boyfriend.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
All they had to do was just make Tessa 18. Some high schoolers in the U.S. graduate at that age, depending on what month their birthday is in.

But no. The filmmakers really felt the movie needed to stop for a good moment and educate its audience on statutory rape laws. Because that wasn't awkward and uncomfortable at all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
The whole reason the scene is awkward in the first place is that "buhbuhbut it's LEGAL!" doesn't actually de-creepy things at all, so I don't think establishing that she was 18 really would have helped.

Somewhat ironically, I think "let's make it clear they started dating when they were both still in high school" was actually the right idea, they just found the worst possible way to do that.

Nevermore

Citizen
Also, the age of consent in Texas is 16, so strictly legally speaking, there was never any problem to begin with.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Or they could have just made Shane younger. It's not like young adults don't play teenagers all the time in film and television.

Last edited:

Top Bottom