Transformers: The Basics

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Definitely on the watch list, even with my crowded schedule.

While it would fall outside McFeely's purview, I feel that discussion of Dion just isn't complete without a mention of Dave "Zobovor" Edwards' fanfic "Second Chances", which stitched Dion, Sunbow-G1 Ultra Magnus, and RiD 2001 Ultra Magnus together in quite a compelling narrative -- although some of my offline friends thought that the idea that Sunbow-G1 Magnus had been bottling resentments going all the way back to "War Dawn" quite the extreme retcon, his Hate Plague-induced rants notwithstanding....

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Chris has been on a break from The Basics this month, so in lieu of a new Basics video since December, he did another livestream:

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
(Paraphrasing Chris) "The original Diaclone grey and blue jets would become Starscream and Thundercracker, with the third being a Hasbro original".

So Skywarp has the honor of being the first black repaint Hasbro made.
And there's also the confusion of all three having each other's tech specs stats by (presumably) mistake: Starscream had Thundercracker's, Thundercracker had Skywarp's, and Skywarp had Starscream's.

Though, interestingly, I kinda think that the names would better match the color schemes if their names and profiles had been given to each toy that their stats went to:
  • The gray jet got Thundercracker's stats, and gray is the color of thunderclouds.
  • The blue jet got Skywarp's stats, and blue is the color of the sky.
  • The black jet got Starscream's stats, and black is the color of both outer space and the nighttime sky, where stars dwell.
And it would also kind of make sense for the special new deco that Hasbro made for their then-new Transformers toyline to be given to the leader of the jet trio: Starscream.

But instead, the gray thundercloud-colored jet became Starscream, the blue sky-colored jet became Thundercracker, and the black starry night/space-colored jet became Skywarp.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Let it also be known that Angolmois Energy (the subject of about half of this video) is still also depicted as the life energy of Earth, in addition to its being Unicron's energy (and Primus's energy).

(And apparently Chichokon, too.)

NovaSaber

Citizen
Bringing Chichokon into it, while it makes sense from the "energy of Earth" angle, highlights why I think Angolmois really shouldn't have been made Primus's.
Because Tenchokon is clearly Chichokon's contrasting counterpart. (The fact that Tenchokon is already identified with Zodiac means that it is in fact an energy of Primus anyway.)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Bringing Chichokon into it, while it makes sense from the "energy of Earth" angle, highlights why I think Angolmois really shouldn't have been made Primus's.
Because Tenchokon is clearly Chichokon's contrasting counterpart. (The fact that Tenchokon is already identified with Zodiac means that it is in fact an energy of Primus anyway.)
It would be easier to say that Gaia Energy is Chichokon and the Earth's energy, since the Legends epilogue said that Angolmois Energy was extracted from within Gaia Energy, as if the two were different things simply merged together.

But then that new "End of G1 Universe" manga went back to the whole "Angolmois Energy is Earth's energy" thing and doubled down on it also being Unicron's energy, insisting that it's both.

It seems like Sakamoto just can't make up his mind on the matter.

Top Bottom