Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

MrBlud

Citizen
Just got back from the fan showing.

It’s perfectly cromulent. A decent followup to Bumblebee and I might give it the edge over 2007 for second best overall. Not 100% sure about the jaw dropping ending but I’ll wait and see.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I wonder if after this the live movies will do the Unicron Trilogy. That would be beyond cool.
Well, by then, it would be around the same length of time since the Unicron Trilogy ended that it was for the original movies to come out after G1 ended...

...not that I consider the Bay movies G1 by any stretch, but just saying, the nostalgia timeframe would be there.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
There's a new exclusive clear red recolour of the Battle Masters Cheetor mold. This is being offered as a special bonus pack with the Ultimate Optimus Primal, BP-01 Beast Power Bumblebee, and BP-02 Beast Power Optimus Prime figures.

I saw a thumbnail for this for the Optimus Primal figure (for around 8,000 yen) at the TTMall site, but when I opened the link, the Cheetor figure, nor any text about it, where in the product description. Can anyone validate this or offer some help?

Image of Clear Red Cheetor Weaponizer Takara Tomy Mall Exclusive (11)__scaled_600.jpg

However, it might be that we can get this figure from some regular shops in Japan, if we spend over 5,000 yen, just like the Burning Plasma Blaster figure a while back?

Tokyo-Toy-Show-2023-13.jpg

Document 63_1.jpg

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It was alright!
Kind of gave me “GI Joe Retaliation” vibes, in that, while not as “good” a film as its prior release, it was, fundamentally, more FUN to watch.
That’s not to say it doesn’t have flaws. The REALLY strong first half kind of collapsed in the second half to accommodate the robot fighting action. Gave me the vibes that they had a strong character driven movie at first, until producers stepped in and said “more robots, MOAR BAYSPLOSIONS!”. The Maximals ARE under-utilized. The film squandered many moments where they could have transformed to add new context to action sequences, particularly in regards to Optimus Primal, whose classic “jump jets”, would have fit perfectly in battle against Nightbird or added to a particular scene in the climax. I was also a bit baffled as to why the film kept avoiding putting the Maximals in better context.
They fled the future to Earth’s past to prevent Unicron from getting the key and jumping across space and time himself.
I don’t know WHY that explanation seemed so difficult to put in. Most of the attempts to garner an emotional response tended to fall flat, largely due to the fact it’s a well the prior films were FAR too eager to dip into.

However, while Bumblebee was a MASSIVE leap forward, falling a few steps back STILL puts it above any Michael Bay sequel (and, arguably, the first film itself). The film tried its damndest to straddle the line between the pros of Bumblebee and prior Bay films. It might not have always succeeded, but it still put forward an admirable effort. The Transformers themselves are fine, with Davidson’s Mirage being FAR less obnoxious than I feared. While many characters didn’t have much character development, there was a very clear effort to making each visually and audibly distinct. Primal, Airrazor, Arcee, Scourge and Nightbird, in particular managed VERY strong impressions. And I applaud Director Caple in getting, EASILY, the best Optimus Prime performance of the franchise. The soundtrack was on point, with some of the hip hop/R&B selections giving me early 90s vibes in ways I did NOT expect. The orchestrated work is a step above from Bumblebee, too. Seeing Jablonsky contribute was a wonderful touch. While I felt the Maximals were under-utilized, they WERE used decently enough. Certainly FAR more than how the Dinobots ended up being treated by the films. The action sequences were well done. Not much to say, but they were clear and decently done with a clear “structure” the Bay films have tended to forget.

Probably the biggest lesson learned from Bumblebee was in keeping the film “accessible”. Aside from Bumblebee and its PG rating, RotB is the most family friendly of any of the films. There were no learning shots of the female body, the language is easily the mildest of the PG-13 entries (and most of that was on the soundtrack, not the dialog), the single bit of “body humor” was quick and mild. The most “offensive” joke was an exchange between Wheeljack and Noah concerning accents and Spanish. Which was still LEAGUES below some of the stuff the Bay films did. At no point did I feel the film fall into cringe, or see lackluster jokes drag on, or see frat boy caliber humor.
It was wonderful to watch a Transformers film and NOT feel embarrassed at a crude joke or abrupt F-bomb (they are allowed ONE in a PG-13 film!) in a theatre with kids. Speaking of, it seemed like the kids present DID enjoy the film! Hopefully, the big ending stinger will pay off to something tangible in the coming years.

So, is it a good film? As a fan, I’m an easy mark. It’s not as objectively good as Bumblebee. But going back to my prior comparison with GI Joe, I DID enjoy myself just as much. It’s a nice, breezy two hour runtime. It keeps a brisk pace and doesn’t waste your time. I feel this is a solid “restart” to the grander Transformers film franchise, though it remains to be seen if the powers that be can maintain at LEAST this level of quality.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I was SO expecting a Primal Prime Jets thing to happen too! Dang the missed opportunity.

I hope the kids still find the Maximals interesting enough to get their toys, even if they don't/barely transform.

Thinking back, a good way that fits the plot to show how cool the Maximals were would be to have them actually fight the Autobots. Would have helped Airazor (which I thought was a good part to add drama in). There was already a Prime vs Bee thing in the other TF movie (holy cow, I forget the name, The Last Knight?). Either the Maximals go out of control (go wild) so the Autobots cure them or the Autobots go berserk so the Maximals 'tame' them spiritually to keep it thematic. Either way shows off the strength or abilities of the Maximals.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, apparently it's the first of a trilogy? So maybe the Maximals will get to shine more next time.

Anyway...

A great day for combining three of my favorite things.

As for the movie itself? My succinct, spoiler-free review is that it is easily my favorite of the live-action films.

Is it the best movie? I'm not a film critic, and heck, if I went back, I might even give the nod to Bumblebee as being a "better" movie, but I feel like this one just delivered more of what I want. It might even be Peter Cullen's best live-action work as Optimus.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I recall it was. During the first encounter.

Oh, something else but about the guy human, he never used his expertise, right?

On the timeline, Gameboys were still around in 1994 and Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails were still popular?
Though why the kid was talking about beating Bowser on GB I can't tell you. None of the Super Mario Land Games had him, and the sound effects that played when he first came in were not from the GB games. :p

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Bowser isn't the boss of the Gameboy Mario? I didn't know that.
It's also Rockman Day?

First of a trilogy? Well, maybe we'll get Predacons. Cyclonus is next up the plate then maybe Galvatron (?) for the last.

wentwood

Citizen
If Beast Wars is in 2326 does that mean Trans Formers I - VII Rise Of The Beasts is yet another alternate time line?

Beast Wars is 300 years after Victory with the decrndants of the Autobots and Decepticons.

Also if Bumblebee was in 1984 will Trans Formers VIII set up the first movie?

Last edited:

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
If Beast Wars is in 2326 does that mean Trans Formers I - VII Rise Of The Beasts is yet another alternate time line?

Beast Wars is 300 years after Victory with the decrndants of the Autobots and Decepticons.

Also if Bumblebee was in 1984 will Trans Formers VIII set up the first movie?

1) There is no firm date for Beast Wars, but yes it is definitely a separate universe from Rise of the Beasts that goes without saying.

2) Not necessarily. In US continuity BE future is 300 years after the "end of the Great War" which doesn't necessarily have any connection to Victory. In Japanese continuity things are more connected, but also filled with a million retcons and retro-insertions and again is definitely its own continuity.

3) No. The Bay movies couldn't even set each other up in any coherent way and are full of contradictions and discontinuity there's zero reason to expect that to change.

-ZacWilliam, you would be hard pressed to put the live action films in continuity with each other beyond a tenetive release sequence it's foolish to try and connect them to anything beyond that.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
I'm watching the movies as a series on their own as I have the first 6 before I watch Rise Of The Beasts.

I do this quite a lot with big screen series.

First time to see all 6 together before the new movie goes to disk.

I don't have Paramount , Peacock or Max at the moment.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I was pleasantly surprised by this film, as I was by Bumblebee before it (which this seems to be a follow-up to?). And I'm assuming all the pre-Bumblebee stuff is a separate continuity?

While I enjoyed the very first Bay TF film back in the day (for what it was, anyway), I haven't been able to enjoy any of the follow-ups on any level other than their being so god-awful, offensive and loud that sometimes they're hilarious (Anthony Hopkins hamming it up, etc). But the characters themselves, Autobot, Decepticon and human alike, all became repugnant and indistinguishable over the course of the series. Prime was a dangerous psychopathic war criminal who preferred wearing the faces of his slain opponents to finding a peaceful solution.

This movie, though, was blissfully quiet in comparison. Restraint was employed in the direction of the action sequences and you could always tell what was going on, the human characters were easy to empathize with and didn't just end up being burdens tagging along with the Autobots for no particular reason, and the TF characters were also likeable. I very much liked the idea of a younger, inexperienced Prime being influenced by the peaceful philosophy of the more advanced Maximals. Even the villains in this were a refreshing change from the generic bullshit Decepticons we always got in Bay films led by a Megatron who never seemed to have any clear plan or purpose other than to blow things up and growl (and half the time you never even knew why he was still alive after being killed). Scourge had an actual personality, and each of his underlings had nice, distinctive designs.

I really hope this movie does well and Paramount decides to give Steven Caple Jr. a chance to finish his trilogy. I very much appreciate the ways in which he's changed the style of live-action TFs with this film.

Top Bottom