Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
So, Hasbro’s surprises got spoiled again. Product images are out of Studio Series Scourge (showing a much improved truck mode compared to the leakers), orders will open up tomorrow after the livestream event.

Again, without seeing the film, I’m not sure what to comment on. Looks nice…but I’m curious how the kids stuff turns out. I would be surprised if a Core Voyager release wasn’t planned.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
GS20230201063814.gif

GS20230201063715.gif

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I'm still on the fence about Scourge, simply on a budget issue. Also, I totally called Freezer being a "missing part" of a larger figure. He clearly "fills out" Scourge's truck mode, and turns into a larger weapon.

Also, in the natural light of the livestream, Cheetor looked MUCH better. Less orange and much more bronze. I plunked down a preorder given how back up stores around here seem to be with Junkions and BB Soundwaves.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
CNET got to reveal the transforming Optimus Prime blaster, the transforming masks…and REintroduce the Smash Changer Optimus Prime.

Comicbook.com has revealed the “Beast Mode Bumblebee” feature figure. $50, transforms from robot, to off road Camero, to “Eagle-ized” robot mode

The Phazer

Citizen
Also https://comicbook.com/gear/news/tra...e-reveals-eagle-beast-mode-preview-exclusive/

Exec 1: "So, what animal should we make our popular character Bumblebee, who's name is literally Bumblebee, turn into?"
Exec 2: "I'm so high. An eagle?"
Exec 1: "Even that seems like too much work, just glue a head and some wings on his robot mode."
Exec 2: "Did you see how I made the other Bumblebee combiner thing look like an attendee at a furry convention?"

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I feel like I've heard, and it may be completely incorrect, that for trademark reasons Hasbro can't make Bumblebee turn into a bumblebee, because then the name "Bumblebee" could be interpreted as a non-trademarkable description as opposed to a trademarkable proper name.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Turn him into Goldbug, then make him turn into a bumblebee, but "forget" to call him that in the movie (like Devastator/Brawl).

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
It's a shame these toys can't get the paint they need to bring out the details. They look a lot more fun than what Studio Series is doing.
Studio Series is about accuracy, not fun! (j/k)

I think it really helps that the film has a far more robust cast than the Bumblebee film, and we're seeing some nifty stuff. I think the “Beast Alliance“ angle is, maybe, a bit less ambitious than the Energon Igniters from Bumblebee, I think does seem to be offering more distinction between the different price points and redundant characters.
I also find it intriguing that Hasbro is citing Maximals, Terrorcons AND Predacons in the marketing material. We’ll see how much the Decepticons and Predacons feature in the film, but it sounds like they’ll be making some appearances in the toy line.

Battle Changers: I dig them for what they are. It seems Studio and Generations Core class can be a bit too ambitious for the size, these feel…content…in their price range. More deco is always nice, but I do think that Prime and Rhinox turned out fairly solid. Speaking of Rhinox, if his design is largely reflective of this toy, I think most fans will be happy with his larger and more complex offerings later on. Listings have confirmed a Mirage in this segment.

Beast Combiners: They aren’t far off from what I imagined, but I think I like the ways they differ. I was imagining something akin to the Cyberverse Spark Armor stuff, but I think I like how they approach the concept here. We lose out on the individual figures (by virtue of standardized robot proportions), but I think the swampability makes up for that. I also like the color ranges on Primal. The extra bronze and blue accents really pop. I also think it speaks to the longevity of this segment that of the initial trio, two are sharing the same armor design. Listings have revealed a Scourge in this segment.

Beast Weaponizers: I like the Beast Battlemasters concept a little bit more than the final execution here. As stated, some of these toys are STARVED for deco, and I think that’s particularly true with Prime and Primal here. That said, the Battlemasters are FAR more interesting than what we got during War for Cybertron. Interesting to note that Primal looks more “in line” with his movie colors, rather than sport the blue that has been seen on many of the kid Primal toys. Listings also have revealed an Arcee and Wheeljack sets for this segment.

Beast Battlemasters: I’m SO here for these. I love the whole Battlemaster concept, but I think War for Cybertron kind of burned out the idea because of the sameness so many of the figures. But just in the initial wave between this price point and the Weaponizers we’ve seen a LOT more variety. Listings have also revealed Optimus Primal and Airrazor entries for this segment.

So, something I HATE is when marketing slaps “proper names” onto glorified accessories. I understand why, but just because we have a cheetah Battlemaster, doesn’t mean they NEED to call him Cheetor. So I spun up some new names for the Battlemasters:
Arrowstripe- Cryobolt (Arctic Tiger transforms into crossbow that fires bolts that freeze enemies)
Chainclaw- I mean, it’s FINE…but it’s also a “go to” name. How about Sawhowl (Wolf converts into sonic chainsaw)
Cheetor- Flashscratch (Swift Cheetah converts into claw blade)
Rhinox- Scatterhorn (Rhino converts into Gatling blaster). Other idea was “Vulkan Ripper” (Y’know, the Vulcan is popular Gatling type gun, they make a “ripping” sound when fired and because the gun comes out his posterror, and when you “rip one”..y’know )
Skullcruncher- Crocoshock (Ornery reptile converts into Pulse Cannon)

NovaSaber

Citizen
I wouldn't be surprised to see Decepticons in the toyline, but I don't the descriptions particularly imply their presence; they're only mentioned in the context of what RotB is being contrasted against.
On the other hand, it literally says Predacons are in the film itself, which I don't think we've seen any sign of.

I think it would be better if the Battle Masters and armor partners didn't use so many of the same animals (two crocodiles, two wolves, and three big cats if you count Cheetor), but that's not a problem with any of them considered individually.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I wouldn't be surprised to see Decepticons in the toyline, but I don't the descriptions particularly imply their presence; they're only mentioned in the context of what RotB is being contrasted against.
On the other hand, it literally says Predacons are in the film itself, which I don't think we've seen any sign of.

I think it would be better if the Battle Masters and armor partners didn't use so many of the same animals (two crocodiles, two wolves, and three big cats if you count Cheetor), but that's not a problem with any of them considered individually.
If nothing else, Battletrap‘s Studio Series box positions him as a Decepticon. And if we get flashbacks in the film, I’d be SHOCKED if the seeker design from TF6 doesn’t reappear.
There were…rumblings…a couple years back when first details were being leaked about Predacons, but really nothing since. The same “rumblings” also featured Rattrap, so who knows at what point in development those leaks were from. But I feel pretty safe in saying Skullcruncher may be a Predacon, possibly movie featured given his multiple appearances thus far.

It’s also very possible that the Predacons might be a “late movie” element that Paramount and Hasbro don’t want spoiled yet. Assuming things “go well”, and with how both parties are treating the film’s marketing at the moment, I think we’re apt to see 3-4 waves of product by Christmas.
And we’re just seeing wave 1 here.

Top Bottom