Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Oh, oh that's nice...
I really like what I see here. Not just in terms of "it's a nice looking new beast Transformer", but the engineering is damn near perfect to be applied to a new iteration of Beast Machines Cheetor as well.

The comparison to the Core Deluxe is more complicated though. I really like the Core Deluxe as a new take on the classic 96 Cheetor design, especially with the inclusion of Transmetal and Beast Machines aesthetics (and key improvements over the Kingdom version, like the blaster, albeit at the expense of a realistic alt mode). But at the same time...ANY time Hasbro wants to acknowledge the Beast Era, it's usually Cheetor or Primal in very 96 inspired forms (or just reruns of the original molds).

The Studio Series iteration is, at least, a fresher take on the CHARACTER, and not just his first toy. I have a few quibbles, but on the whole, I really DO like how the movie has been approaching the Maximal cast. Who knew the revised movie aesthetic would work so well on beasts?
I'm not a fan of how they did his hands, and I'm not a HUGE fan of the colors, but at least they seem on point with the film (which was seemingly going for an aged/Steampunk look to begin with, and I think this release does hit those notes). It makes me wish we were a decade ago when Hasbro was FAR more willing to repaint the crap out of everything we might have gotten this mold in some more dynamic colors (even if an exclusive).

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
GS20230126000258.gif

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Is it just me or does is the non Studio Series RotB line almost feel like G1-ified versions of the characters.

Like compare the mainline Airrazor to the Studio Series one. SS looks like a Bayformer robot while the mainline one looks more like something out of Kingdom.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
PrimalxConvoy's statement about the mainline toys being Kingdom remolds.
If not remolds, then heavily shared engineering. Regardless, it's the reason why they look "CHUG".

Zombodroid_28012023093335.jpg

Last edited:

Xellos

Citizen
I think the one takeaway I have seen from what we have seen so far is that the "mainline" figures, while being different, seem to be of the same toy quality as SS and Generations.

I don't think I have seen this since Prime. RiD2, Cyberverse, and even Earthspark "deluxe" figures, while still good, felt more kid-friendly (less complex, cheaper use of plastic) than SS and Generations. If those two are any indication, I can easily see myself put them with my Legacy figures.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Eh…I personally think some are being more forgiving to the Core deluxe figures because they are, aesthetically, more aligned with Studio Series and Generations and aren’t trying to replicate a stylized look like Prime, RiD2, Cyberverse and Earthspark.

As far as the Core vs Studio Series thing…I just think they ALL started from the same point in design. Given the response to Bumblebee’s design work, I’m inclined to think they stayed closer to their original designs longer than other films (which seemed to largely start from a car and work backwards to a name).
Core Cheetor’s beast mode is really not THAT far removed from the final design. But his robot mode, seemingly, got a major redesign much later in the development process. Core and Studio Airrazor shows a clear lineage that, to me, says Airrazor didn’t deviate THAT much in the design process.

But we’ve also seen enough of Optimus Primal to know that he didn’t start with a full placeplate, but it was ultimately added to the final robot mode (possibly leading to a reported delay in the release of the SS leader class). And the film will clearly not be as colorful as the Core/Kids lines.
But, I’m not sure if that was a true “development change” or Hasbro was taking some artistic liberties to make the broader toy line more enticing to average consumers.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
There's also a point to be made in the fact that the current Transformers team at Hasbro is a lot different from the one that was in charge at the time of the first few movies, who didn't care as much back then about fidelity to the designs of legacy characters/legacy-named characters as the current team does. The designs of the first few movies were basically another round of the Unicron Trilogy's design philosophy.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
There's also a point to be made in the fact that the current Transformers team at Hasbro is a lot different from the one that was in charge at the time of the first few movies, who didn't care as much back then about fidelity to the designs of legacy characters/legacy-named characters as the current team does. The designs of the first few movies were basically another round of the Unicron Trilogy's design philosophy.
Good times.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Now think of the ROTB toyline's potential non movie iterations of Dinobot, Tigatron and Rattrap.
I'd rather not given that's not going to happen. (Well, MAYBE Tigatron, but only as a repaint/retool of a Cheetor figure)

Product lines, much less those tied to a film push, have gotten pretty lean these days. And with how large the cast appears to be (and there are probably still surprises to be seen), I don't foresee a lot of "extra characters" being included.

Top Bottom