Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Last Knight already threw the 'earth-is-Unicron' card on the table, so I guess it remains to be seen if the writers remember that plot point and roll with it. But in general, yeah, Hasbro tends to lean into Unicron pretty heavily for endgame-type stories.

...one of these days they should change it up, and reveal that Cybertron's greatest threat is....Gobotron! (Shock! Horror! And make it a real threat, not some 4-panel, haha-kill-the-Gobots joke)
Now that's an idea I could get behind. Kind of run with some aspects of the old Timelines story of the Gobots' home universe being overwritten by the Transformers universe. After some study, the Gobots come to the conclusion that all the various reality-bending doomsday weapons being used in the Transformers never ending wars are a threat to all other universes and that, for the good of the entire multiverse, the Guardians and the Renegades have to put aside their differences and infiltrate the Cybertronians' war and destroy both the Autobots and the Decepticons from the inside. Not with brute force or anything, but by subtle manipulation of both sides towards mutual destruction.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Now that's an idea I could get behind. Kind of run with some aspects of the old Timelines story of the Gobots' home universe being overwritten by the Transformers universe. After some study, the Gobots come to the conclusion that all the various reality-bending doomsday weapons being used in the Transformers never ending wars are a threat to all other universes and that, for the good of the entire multiverse, the Guardians and the Renegades have to put aside their differences and infiltrate the Cybertronians' war and destroy both the Autobots and the Decepticons from the inside. Not with brute force or anything, but by subtle manipulation of both sides towards mutual destruction.
Cykill recently got beaten up by Jaxx in the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, so I wonder if that was a homage to the (IDW comics)?

Screenshot_20221206-045744.jpg

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I'm still trying to puzzle out that cameo. After all, Marvel did the Transformers comics back in the day, I would think if any transforming robot killed a relative of Drax, it would be a Transformer? Or at least Deaths Head.

Gobots or Transformers, Hasbro would’ve had to sign off on the appearance either way, right?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'm still trying to puzzle out that cameo. After all, Marvel did the Transformers comics back in the day, I would think if any transforming robot killed a relative of Drax, it would be a Transformer? Or at least Deaths Head.
At present, Marvel can't touch anything from Transformers without Hasbro's permission (and especially with the comics license currently going to someone else after IDW loses it this year) since Marvel is no longer a Transformers licensee and hasn't been since the 90s.

Gobots or Transformers, Hasbro would’ve had to sign off on the appearance either way, right?
Yes. It was officially-sanctioned, like Blaster's cameo in Rescue Rangers.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the formatting in the title threw me off, but I just realized that's going to be on my anniversary.

Haywire

Citizen
At present, Marvel can't touch anything from Transformers without Hasbro's permission (and especially with the comics license currently going to someone else after IDW loses it this year) since Marvel is no longer a Transformers licensee and hasn't been since the 90s.
Well, I'm not familiar enough with Marvel the comics, did Drax even exist as a character back when Marvel had the Transformers license?
Regardless, the Transformers did intersect with the Marvel universe, or a Marvel universe, meeting up with black suit Spiderman (which led to the introduction of Venom, who did join up with the Guardians at one point, right?); to the best of my knowledge, Gobots never appeared in Marvel books unless they were in advertisements. That's the only reason I questioned the cameo; it seems odd to go to the effort of getting a cameo approved for the 80s transforming robot property that wasn't published by Marvel when the permission for the one that was has to come from the same company.

Anyway, that's a whole lot more thought than what was probably just a throwaway joke cameo really deserves. Probably the best exposure Gobots has gotten in years, so yay?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
My honest guess would be this being very clearly a brief joke featuring a man in a bad costume of a cartoon character it would fall under Parody and not really need any sort of permission or sign off.

ZacWilliam, that be my first assumption at least.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Well, I'm not familiar enough with Marvel the comics, did Drax even exist as a character back when Marvel had the Transformers license?
Regardless, the Transformers did intersect with the Marvel universe, or a Marvel universe, meeting up with black suit Spiderman (which led to the introduction of Venom, who did join up with the Guardians at one point, right?); to the best of my knowledge, Gobots never appeared in Marvel books unless they were in advertisements. That's the only reason I questioned the cameo; it seems odd to go to the effort of getting a cameo approved for the 80s transforming robot property that wasn't published by Marvel when the permission for the one that was has to come from the same company.

Anyway, that's a whole lot more thought than what was probably just a throwaway joke cameo really deserves. Probably the best exposure Gobots has gotten in years, so yay?

Drax predates Transformers by over a decade. Shares his premier issue (The Invincible Iron Man #55) with Thanos.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Hasbro has OFFICIALLY revealed their first Rise of the Beast toys: Studio Series Battletrap and Studio Series Off-Road Bumblebee. While we've unofficially seen Battletrap, this is the first we've seen of the revised Bumblebee's Studio Series toy.
That Bumblebee is...another BB. I'm not going to knock an official reveal, but I just can't muster much interest in BB. We've gotten him on a regular basis, and the deco (especially on the face) is lacking compared to other Studio Series iterations of the same character. Would have been a GREAT chance to get ahead of the leakers and show one of the Maximals.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
To me, that Bumblebee just looks poor. It looks like a knock off. Maybe it's the yellow plastic they used, maybe it's the photography, but it doesn't look good.

Haywire

Citizen
I don't know what it is about Battletrap's face, but I keep getting Cybertron Gigantion vibes from it; some amalgamation of Quickmix and Menasor, anyway. I really like the looks of that one, anyway.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
To me, that Bumblebee just looks poor. It looks like a knock off. Maybe it's the yellow plastic they used, maybe it's the photography, but it doesn't look good.
It's the white background. It's doing no favors for making the figure look good. it looks better on the darker backgrounds of the Hasbro Pulse email that announced these figures:

Na0cj94.png

DZ1shuT.png

TMG5A6f.png

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I don't know what it is about Battletrap's face, but I keep getting Cybertron Gigantion vibes from it; some amalgamation of Quickmix and Menasor, anyway. I really like the looks of that one, anyway.
I get what you’re saying. It’s alien and “unnatural”, but without devolving into the prickly insectoid look most of the designs of the first decade of films employed.
Speaking of comparing with other SS releases...
That does NOTHING to compliment the new toy. Just a reminder of how many cuts Hasbro has made to parts and deco in last 4 odd years.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Sorry if someone said this already, but Paramount has the movie rights to Transformers, and so they'd probably have to sign off on something like this, too, if there was any signing off to be done.

GoBots? Not so much. Just Hasbro would likely do.

Top Bottom