Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
*sigh*
More Bay level continuity and editing. God damnit.
Let’s be honest, continuity, in general, has NEVER been a strong suit for the franchise, period.
Don't know if there are any other Beast wars fans here ( Beast wars made me end up watching and enjoy gen 1 transformers for context) but I'm really sad they didn't even contact Gary chalk, nothing against Ron but his voice isn't Optimus primal also where are rat trap and dinobot? I really hope they don't drop the ball with this movie
It’s a contract/union thing With the voice actors. Gary Chalk primarily works out of the British Columbia region for his acting work, while guys like David Sobolov and David Kaye have transitioned to the California based acting groups.
Which means a cameo by a a purple T-Rex Megatron voiced by Kaye remains on the table…

I also wouldn’t get too fussy over the cast. The film is already pretty well loaded with characters THAT WE KNOW OF.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I mean, these are obviously not the same Beast Wars characters that we know any more than the IDW or Earthrise versions were (all of whom were similarly scaled up to stand side-by-side with bulks). New timeline, new rules, new voices.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And even though we do have Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime, he's only ever barely sounded like the Optimus of the G1 cartoon, since Cullen is much older now and playing a very different, much more violent and aggressive Optimus in these movies, compared to the "Cool Dad" Optimus of the G1 cartoon.

There are fandubs of this trailer on YouTube where people have replaced all of Ron Perlman's dialogue with audio of Garry Chalk's Optimus Primal recycled from the Beast Wars cartoon, and it just doesn't match the look of this new Primal at all. He has a gruff design, and Perlman has the appropriately gruff voice to match it. Had Chalk been cast in the role, he probably would have been directed to sound just as gruff and not at all like his very youthful Beast Wars Optimus voice. The fan trailers that simply recycle Beast Wars audio just feel like overly gratuitous fan service and just completely miss the point of what this movie is going for with this brand new take on the character.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I just watched the Gary Chalk dub and I loved it. Obviously, the mixing wasn't fully accurate, but I am confident that Mr Chalk could easily make a familiar rendition of Primal that fitted the style of the film, just as Mr Cullen has done.

CrockAlley

Citizen
There are fandubs of this trailer on YouTube where people have replaced all of Ron Perlman's dialogue with audio of Garry Chalk's Optimus Primal recycled from the Beast Wars cartoon, and it just doesn't match the look of this new Primal at all.

I wouldn't expect recycled audio recorded 25 years ago for a children's cartoon to jive with a big budget movie from today. I embrace new-ness in the franchise. New actors voicing legacy characters is not a problem. But with all the Cullen-worship in TF media in the past decade or so, it's unfortunate, IMO, that Chalk gets left behind. Plus, it would be such fun to hear Chalk opposite Cullen playing their famous TF roles.

allion

Citizen
I wouldn't expect recycled audio recorded 25 years ago for a children's cartoon to jive with a big budget movie from today. I embrace new-ness in the franchise. New actors voicing legacy characters is not a problem. But with all the Cullen-worship in TF media in the past decade or so, it's unfortunate, IMO, that Chalk gets left behind. Plus, it would be such fun to hear Chalk opposite Cullen playing their famous TF roles.
And that's the thing I'm having assumptions that the people in charge ( who are fans of G1 ) are just bring in the Beast wars characters just to shit on them like Kingdom did, it was very clear that Kingdom had no respect for the beast era characters, I mean Just look what they did to Megatron from beast wars, you can't tell me there was no maliciousness with how his character turned out , in my opinion there is no such things as "stupid writers" but there are ones with ulterior motives, which is huge sham because I know a lot of g1 fans who hated Beast wars but over the years have come to respect it and have good relationship with beast era fans to bad the people with power have not moved on from
" Trukk Not Munk"

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Given they took the time to do a recreation of what's probably the biggest "fan favorite" moment of Beast Wars (Dinobot's sacrifice), I'm really not getting 'The writers hate Beast Wars" out of that. Especially given that the writing in general wasn't great through the whole series. War for Cybertron has massive issues, start to finish; hyperfocusing onto one specific thing you thought they did poorly as evidence of some sort of active maliciousness against one an era of Transformers is really missing the forest for the trees.

Shadewing

Citizen
I feel like the Kingdom writers we're actively attempting to do something different. Maybe the realized they can't top Beast Wars, maybe they didn't want it to feel they were trying to copy it. Like even if Megatron was 1:1 with the original, fans would still bitch becuase like Undead says, WFC was not well written at any point. So them attempting something different is likely the best of a bad situation.

allion

Citizen
Oh yeah I don't disagree with you guys, now that I think about it even the autobots were shit on just as much as the beast wars characters, I really don't know what when on behind the scenes for WFC writing.

edit as for Megatron I mean why did they feel the needed to turn him into an ass kisser for the for G1 Megatron when he isn't even that kind of character to begin with? wouldn't in make more sense for him to betray G1 Megatron only for G1 megatron saying " I knew you were going to betray me you are a Megatron after all" I'm not saying it that's good but 100% better then what we got in Kingdom.

Last edited:

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Honestly, the reason WfC Megatron sucks is probably that Starscream was already there. Like, Beast Wars Megatron would have spent that entire show waiting for the right opportunity to backstab G1 Megatron and take it all for himself.. which again, is redundant as you had Starscream, and even Blackarachnia on that page already.

allion

Citizen
Honestly, the reason WfC Megatron sucks is probably that Starscream was already there. Like, Beast Wars Megatron would have spent that entire show waiting for the right opportunity to backstab G1 Megatron and take it all for himself.. which again, is redundant as you had Starscream, and even Blackarachnia on that page already.
Ugh that's actually a really good point you made and I hate that lol makes me wonder if adding the beast wars characters was last minute thing.

Shadewing

Citizen

Except at that Point, Starscream had kinda pulled an Armada and was trying to get everyone to stop fighting and be friends becuase otherwise DOOM!

Cybersnark

Citizen
As badly-written as it was, I did kinda like the idea that this is how the Beast Wars would've played out if the Ark crew had never returned to Cybertron. I'm a sucker for alternate-timeline stories like that.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Ugh that's actually a really good point you made and I hate that lol makes me wonder if adding the beast wars characters was last minute thing.
Kingdom itself was a last minute thing. The first couple of waves of Studio Series 86 toys would have been in the line that ultimately became Kingdom before it was decided to celebrate Beast Wars's 25th anniversary in addition to TFTM's, 35th anniversary, because Hasbro had previously chosen to not celebrate Beast Wars back in its 20th anniversary.

In that sense, who knows what the third season of the Netflix cartoon would have been like had the Kingdom toyline not had Maximals and Predacons in it, but had instead had Jazz, Kup, Blurr, Gnaw, Hot Rod, Scourge, Wreck-Gar, the Sweeps, Grimlock, and Slug.

Top Bottom