Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
In-Hand Image of Transformers Studio Series Rise of the Beasts 98 Cheetor (17)__scaled_800~01.jpg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Well, Pulse has sent out a notification that my SS Cheetor is shipping soon. So, I guess they’re saying screw it to the Studio Series in terms of keeping to any sort street date. Hell, given the state of retail I’ve seen around here, I‘m not even hopeful in seeing RotB Studio Series by the time the movie hits.

In terms of Mirage…I’m getting mixed messages from him on a number of areas. First off, absent any other connections, I really do like the figure. The Porsche alt mode is gorgeous, and robot mode gives some nice “Classical Autobot” vibes. The color scheme is handsome and the figure gives me some distinct “2007 off screen” vibes.
But…that vibe is very much at odd with the design we saw in that Superbowl spot on Sunday. It’s a very handsome looking movie-style Transformers figure. But, after the astounding results with prior Studio Series, it seems quite off putting to see a figure with such “regression” in accuracy to the source material, or even in terms “elegance”. Even disregarding the concessions to physics and budget, the figure is lacking in areas it really shouldn’t, PARTICULARLY when it comes to deco. The details all seem to be there, but it just isn’t colored correctly, which is jarring for a new character design of the relative importance Mirage seems to have.

This might well be another situation where “letting go of accuracy”, as we saw with a number of the Core and Kids toys, might net a “better” overall representation of Mirage.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I will never understand the design philosophy behind giving Bumblebee a bug-eyed skull face with a pacifier instead of a more friendly-looking face with a mouth.

Or at least a mouthplate, since his radio-speak wouldn't require him to have a normal mouth (but having one just in case he would later be able to speak normally again wouldn't have hurt).

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Well, Pulse has sent out a notification that my SS Cheetor is shipping soon. So, I guess they’re saying screw it to the Studio Series in terms of keeping to any sort street date. Hell, given the state of retail I’ve seen around here, I‘m not even hopeful in seeing RotB Studio Series by the time the movie hits.

In terms of Mirage…I’m getting mixed messages from him on a number of areas. First off, absent any other connections, I really do like the figure. The Porsche alt mode is gorgeous, and robot mode gives some nice “Classical Autobot” vibes. The color scheme is handsome and the figure gives me some distinct “2007 off screen” vibes.
But…that vibe is very much at odd with the design we saw in that Superbowl spot on Sunday. It’s a very handsome looking movie-style Transformers figure. But, after the astounding results with prior Studio Series, it seems quite off putting to see a figure with such “regression” in accuracy to the source material, or even in terms “elegance”. Even disregarding the concessions to physics and budget, the figure is lacking in areas it really shouldn’t, PARTICULARLY when it comes to deco. The details all seem to be there, but it just isn’t colored correctly, which is jarring for a new character design of the relative importance Mirage seems to have.

This might well be another situation where “letting go of accuracy”, as we saw with a number of the Core and Kids toys, might net a “better” overall representation of Mirage.

I got the feeling that Hasbro is adhering to a more "Chug-ish" aesthetic for the chug-sized figures (with the exception of that clone of Frenzy). Perhaps they'll release some super-spiffy MMPs that are more screen accurate? That way, we can enjoy the best of both endeavours?

As for the lack of Cheetor's mouth, it does make him look odd, which, for me, makes him a prime contender for a Nightstalker or Shadowpanther repaint (as he looks kind of "evil").

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
The instant I saw that stupid mouth on Optimus Prime again is when I knew this film would suck. I literally don't need to see another frame in order to be 100% sure of that.

Lobjob

Citizen
Also, too bad this rise in beast activity didn't give hasbro an excuse to do something new with or comparable to Battle Beasts. I'm just saying.

Glitch

Citizen
That reminds me, I was just telling my wife last night that it would be cool if this Scourge ends up like an amalgamation of RiD and Cybertron's Scourges, taking on a dragon alt near the end of the film.
Maybe that's the endgame of the character: Scourge hunts the Maximals for their future tech so he can gain a beast mode too and becomes a dragon for the climax.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Maybe that's the endgame of the character: Scourge hunts the Maximals for their future tech so he can gain a beast mode too and becomes a dragon for the climax.

I doult that will happen because it would push up the cost of the CGI budget as it would mean another CGI model they would need to create, but the hunting the Maximals side could be a plot point, thou all of the trailers so far that I seen don't really give a sense of what the film plot is really about, outside of showing a bunch of random scenes mostly involving Mirage or Optimus encountering Primal, I get the feeling that this film story is going to be another mess, much like Last Knight was

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I doult that will happen because it would push up the cost of the CGI budget as it would mean another CGI model they would need to create, but the hunting the Maximals side could be a plot point, thou all of the trailers so far that I seen don't really give a sense of what the film plot is really about, outside of showing a bunch of random scenes mostly involving Mirage or Optimus encountering Primal, I get the feeling that this film story is going to be another mess, much like Last Knight was

That's been my fear, too. I actually quite liked the Bumblebee movie, so I was cautiously optimistic for the sequel. The way that the new movie has been marketed, though, does kind of lead me to suspect that this will be all empty spectacle like the Bay movies. Just the way it seems that there are almost too many characters and no hint of a plot from the trailers.

Some of the toys do look fun, though, so it has that going for it.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Yeah, the some of the toys do look good, but I'm going to be picking in between studio series & mainline, when I can order mainline that is, I've already pre-ordered Scourge, Battletrap & Airrazor, passing on SS Cheator, it looks OK but the robot mode head, mainly the face looks weird, to weird for my tastes

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
I remember when I first saw the Revenge of the Fallen trailer. And the first Bayformers admittedly had turned out better than I thought it would. Not great, but not terrible. So seeing the RotF trailer made me excited and hopeful for the movie. And then the movie was bleeping terrible. And the first Bayformers ended up being the only watchable Bay one. Though DotM came closer to watchable than the other sequels, at least.

It's frustrating that after all these years the original 86 movie is the best one. And it definitely wasn't some masterpiece of films. I liked Bumblebee too, but I want so much more for Transformers. The brand needs and deserves a big Marvel type movie so bad. Avengers, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, and so on. I stay hopeful, but skeptical.

Top Bottom