Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - Trailer 1 Released!

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I've watched a couple of times now. Overall, I think it looks quite good.

Hemsworth's voice is excellent. I am genuinely impressed at how he does sound like a young Peter Cullen. I genuinely cannot tell that's him speaking. It's good.
I like the 'buddy caper' feeling between Orion and D. I wonder if their designations have anything to do with their jobs before the stunt that gets them thrown into waste management. But, I love that we're actually getting a film where we see the two as friends. It adds to the mythos as a whole. I know we've gotten stories about them being friends in the past, but I don't recall it ever really being the focus of a story like it appears here.
I see we're getting a Bee thats way more 'Animated' then 'Bayverse' or even G1. He has that kind of manic energy that I equate with Derek J. Wyatt's take on the character.

I love what we've seen as far as whose included. Really hoping we get new vehicon drone toys because those things are bloody awesome and I need at least 3 more of them.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
But, I love that we're actually getting a film where we see the two as friends. It adds to the mythos as a whole. I know we've gotten stories about them being friends in the past, but I don't recall it ever really being the focus of a story like it appears here.
Their friendship was the main focus of the Exodus novel, up until they're falling out. And even after, their dynamic as enemies had the weight it did because of how much focus their friendship had earlier in the book.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Been a long time since I read Exodus. Guess I need to dig it back out.
Although, this movie looks like it'll portray their friendship in a much better and more believable way, since even when they were friends in Exodus, all of Megatron's dialogue still read like he was an evil villain with evil ambitions and wicked intent (he just thought Orion would stay loyal to him and come around to see things his way, never realizing Orion simply wasn't the villainous type).

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
This looks far better then I was expecting, I've always loved the flora and fauna of Cybertron since G1 tech specs so the surface and animals were a highlight, after watching it a few times I noticed Megatron D-16 has a Decepticon symbol on his shoulder the entire time but I couldn't find an Autobot symbol anywhere.

Those are totally Prime Vehicons and they look good and the ships in the sky even look like the Prime Nemesis, and the whole big battle at the end appears to mostly be Vehicons fighting Seekers which is not something I'd ever thought I'd see.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
Trailer seems very generic-ly contemporary animated movie in tone. Not bad, not good but if kids today like it, good for them. Not a fan of the aesthetic. The colors and textures remind me of the High Moon games but instead of the comical puff we got towards FOC, we get spindly limbs and big rectangular noses. It's not bad but it's the kind of movie I'd wait for streaming rather than go to theaters for, if that makes sense

What bothers me the most is the absurd joke density. Hopefully that's just a result of trailer editing than wholly representative of the final film but to be honest, with how so many movies are written nowadays, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Last edited:

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Just watched the trailer like twice more.

I stand by my first thoughts: It looks like a lot of fun.

I'm excited for the world-building.

Definitely the sort of thing the brand needs to bring in new kids. I hope there is just a barrage of merch. I want to see bright, fun TF stuff everywhere.

-ZacWilliam, whether it's successful or not this absolutely feels like the right move from Hasbro. You have a toyline you make something like this to get kids to love it.

DarkeklawGW

Immortal Maximal OC
Citizen
The old geezer in me wants to hate it. He really does. The kid in me thinks it's going to be fun.

I probably won't see it in theaters cause I'm a Misanthropic Hermit.

Dake

Citizen
I too am a misanthropic hermit, but I'm going to make a point to see it in theaters if possible just because I'd like to support this type of story-telling that feels far away from Bay's touch. I will ALSO choose a late Tuesday morning showing though... :D

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
What bothers me the most is the absurd joke density. Hopefully that's just a result of trailer editing

Animated movies have the worst trailers. It's so consistent over the decades that I'm convinced there must be a rule behind it, or marketing departments think there is.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Animated movies have the worst trailers. It's so consistent over the decades that I'm convinced there must be a rule behind it, or marketing departments think there is.

There's probably an idea that, to appeal to children, it has to be cranked up to 11 nonstop for the full trailer. Whether or not that's true is debatable, but that feels like what the studios would assume.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I’d like to give the movie the benefit of the doubt. The transforming part’s something I can see kids enjoying. The more than meets the eye bit’s what’s setting off red flags for me since it hasthe exact same energy as the dumbass suicide Squad line.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Took a break from drowning in work and other work, and saw this was live, so checked it out.

I'm glad everyone is high on this, because at least my lone flat opinion won't skew the overall vibe as much.

I'm... Mostly shrugging at it. As a trailer it's fairly standard, having the usual runrunrun joke pause cadence. Which wouldn't be as much of an issue if the jokes were great or memorable.
As it is, it's a tide of mid.

The funniest things were Bee bolting and the crashing without wheels. The rest is just... Not for me. In particular the "Badassatron" joke they felt the need to do twice.

Hemsworth is the real win here, as I'm very impressed with how good a fit he is. Nice low register, expressive range, good accent shift, a warmth to the character. ScarJo is good, but is essentially herself, that'll do fine. I'm a bit thrown by Brian as Megatron as I think Jon might have been a better fit. But this is an early Megs, I guess, and so a looser, friendlier, chattier vibe isn't out of place.

The humor is just okay, but younger audiences may be warmer to it. The designs are interesting, although I'm not feeling the robot modes and the faces. I thought the standard-feeling looks were because of the pre-transforming stock bodies, but they largely look the same after they gain kibble.

But the rest of Cybertron and the key moments included here look great. Intrigued by the possibilities of the lore and worldbuilding.

I hope this does well.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Young Megatron is weirdly a sticking point for me; it's just weird to have him without some sort of gravitas; even the IDW version that starts off as a lowly miner at least had that idealist chic to him. Here he's just a dude and I know that's the point, but it's just weird to see Megatron whine about Pax getting him into trouble.

Someone said this felt like the Mario movie, and I think they're right, but not in a bad way. (There's no Chris Pratt for one) in that it seems like a generic modern animated film with a ton of love and attention in the background. Airrachnid showed up in that trailer! That's such a weird pull for film with an otherwise heavily G1 cast. That's like some IDW level stuff going on. :D

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This interview with director Josh Cooley explains why the trailer has so many jokes in it:
That being said, in the trailer, we showcase a lot of comedy because we were having so much fun with these characters and with these actors that it just naturally made its way into the film. Optimus and Megatron become enemies, and so I wanted to make sure that the audience fell in love with them as brothers, as friends early on. By the end of this film, there's some serious stakes and there's the same amount of action and adventure that you come to expect from a Transformers film. It has that fun, light tone to it, but then it gets very real as well.

Dake

Citizen
This interview with director Josh Cooley explains why the trailer has so many jokes in it:

The jokes don't bother me here because for whatever reason they don't feel as forced? I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's a different quality. And yeah as someone else mentioned, things will need to get fairly dark by the end.

I suppose the "best case" at the end could be for D-16 to get consigned to the mines for whatever happens to the group (I could even see him taking the fall for Orion), and then the rise of Megatron the gladiator/opposition leader could happen in a second movie. Regardless, it seems like making the full turn in one movie would be a bit much.

Top Bottom