Transformers Legacy toyline

MrBlud

Citizen
Right? I mean what will they do next, just put out a toy called "Storm Trooper" or "Rebel Soldier"? They've gotten so lazy.

I feel like that’s pretty disingenuous.

Even then at least Rebel Trooper and Storm Trooper give you something to go on and their respective factions. It’s not even Autobot Red Cog. It’s just Red Cog.

Literally any name they already cleared with legal would’ve been preferable. They released a Wedge in Rescue Bot Academy. Slap that name on here. At least it’s SOMETHING.

Octavius Prime

UT Enthusiast
Citizen
Very cool that Parasite has an alternate head like Toy Scorponok does! Not sure how I feel about the notion that both heads might represent different characters, as that might tempt me to get two copies of the toy...

I think I like the "mutant" head better, but I also didn't notice the hex honeycomb pattern on the "ears" for the other head, which looks really cool and makes me more excited for Buzzsaw.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Looks like Parasite / Skywasp comes with the Buzzsaw head too. The TCC was planning on including new heads with the Waruder sets they still had and categorizing them as new characters. Skywasp would have had a new Buzzsaw head (as would the others). It was going to be black with a dark gray face and yellow eyes. The eyes would have the outlines of eyes painted on it like the original Seeker eye stickers for Skywarp. This is where those last day bios came from despite the plans for the new heads falling through.

Oh dang, that is cool. More of these alt head pack-ins should be a thing. Better than fireblast effects.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Right? I mean what will they do next, just put out a toy called "Storm Trooper" or "Rebel Soldier"? They've gotten so lazy.

Even then at least Rebel Trooper and Storm Trooper give you something to go on and their respective factions. It’s not even Autobot Red Cog. It’s just Red Cog.

Literally any name they already cleared with legal would’ve been preferable. They released a Wedge in Rescue Bot Academy. Slap that name on here. At least it’s SOMETHING.

I don't know that it's all that out of line.
-If Red Cog is meant the evoke the Grand Maximus accessory, then it should just be Cog, the 'Red' bit at least differentiates it.
-If it's meant to evoke the 'Security Officer' from the Netflix series, Red Cog is more of a name than Security Officer.
-If the intent is that Cogs are more or less just drones, it's not much worse than Tank Drone, Motorcycle Drone, or Sonic Attack Jet. It's not as catchy as Vehicon or Autorooper, but roughly on par with descriptors like Jet Vehicon or Air Vehicon.

Would it hurt for Hasbro to put some world-building time into character bios for troop-building figures? No. But it is also not particularly necessary, either. They spent the budget for Red Cog on the accessories, of any figure that comes out this year, it's probably the one to let slide for no bio.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Looks like Parasite / Skywasp comes with the Buzzsaw head too.
Between this, toy coloured Scorponok having the alternate toy head, and SG Ultra Magnus having the Delta Magnus/Powered Convoy head... these are fun developments.

I don't know man. My fiancé is a Star Wars Empire/First Order collector. There's an entire shelf in our place dedicated to Storm Troopers of like every variety.

"Red Cog" doesn't bother me so much.

It's hard to care about a toy the makers don't even care enough about to give the character a name.

-ZacWilliam, generic product description "name" turns me off buying a Transformer completely.
The Powerdashers would like a word about how this isn't a new thing.

Hell, Sweeps still don't have names.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Oh man, with Toy Colors Scorponok and Parasite/Skywasp both coming with two heads, it makes me wonder if all four of the figures in this boxed set will each have two heads. Like, if Goldbug comes with a cartoon-based blue head and a Marvel-based gold head. Dunno about what Ransack could have, though.

Mat-Man

Citizen
It is that fragile feeling? I've had similar worries seeing the entire back of Wildrider is clear, and a lot of it looks like the sort that cracked on Weirdwolf, complete with the 'thin barrels with pins through them' type joints.

It's not fragile feeling, it's probably more of a subconscious thing from reading posts about the fragility of translucent plastic at joints. He felt pretty solid while actually transforming him (I'll probably try to get SG Blaster and Rewind too, despite Rewind also being translucent plastic).

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I was going to point out how Hasbro has had a rough track record for new names for a couple years now, and was going to cite names like Draculus and Tyrannocon Rex as examples... but then I realized we had Beast Wars characters named stuff like Cheetor, Rhinox and Dinobot... so maybe Transformer names have sucked for a long ass time.

JP93 is still especially god awful. He will forever be Warden to me, (both as in "Game Warden" as well as a reference to John Warden)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm only bothered because the other one isn't specifically "Blue Cog." There's so much possible confusion that could arise out of this!

And Powerdasher Aragon! Does he count as a Cog? Or is the head enough to differentiate him from the Cogs?

Octavius Prime

UT Enthusiast
Citizen
I was going to point out how Hasbro has had a rough track record for new names for a couple years now, and was going to cite names like Draculus and Tyrannocon Rex as examples... but then I realized we had Beast Wars characters named stuff like Cheetor, Rhinox and Dinobot... so maybe Transformer names have sucked for a long ass time.

JP93 is still especially god awful. He will forever be Warden to me, (both as in "Game Warden" as well as a reference to John Warden)
I like "Tracker" for JP93.

That name kind of reminds me of CW Alpha Bravo, which is literally just the initials for "AerialBot." I decided he would be G1 Evac.

Shadewing

Citizen
Alpha Bravo is at least a bit clever for doing it the way they did. I'd certainly rate it under Draculus or Tyrannocon for names; but think its still better then JP93 (which I think should be his Cybertronian designation like B-127 was for Bumblebee) and Red Cog.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
They could always start recycling Legacy names that are currently unused. I don't think they've done anything with Windbreaker in a while...

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
There are a lot of names they could have reused that I don't think anyone would have been particularly upset about. The first idea that came to mind was Scorchfire, but thinking it over I think my favorite name reuse option would be to call him Overload and have him be a G1 counterpart to the Armada guy.

Top Bottom