Transformers Legacy toyline

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Alternators was the first "updated G1" line.
Not disagreeing, and I liked the Alternators, but they weren't really toys like the Classics were. I feel like Alternators is sort of a divergent evolution of the mindset that became the Masterpiece line, in that they were more directly aimed at the adult collector market than other Hasbro main line offerings at the time. Not that a kid couldn't play with one, but I would absolutely rather give my kid a Classics figure over an Alternator.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen

But Classics was more of a direct line with a bunch of waves, while Alternator was a lot more scattered, similar to how MPs are today, thou classics originally existed to just be a filler line between the end of Cybertron and the first live action movie line, yet it proved to be a major sucess which then gave us the Universe line followed up by Generations

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
There was also RobotMasters with its updated figures of Optimus Prime, Starscream, Optimus Primal, BW Megatron, Star Saber, Victory Leo, and Lio Convoy.

And its G1-colored Mirage using the Machine Wars mold that was already sculpted fairly faithfully to G1 Mirage's look.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There was also RobotMasters with its updated figures of Optimus Prime, Starscream, Optimus Primal, BW Megatron, Star Saber, Victory Leo, and Lio Convoy.

And its G1-colored Mirage using the Machine Wars mold that was already sculpted fairly faithfully to G1 Mirage's look.

Also technically true, but as far as a main-line, available in your local Target/Walmart sort of line, it was something new.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen

Yeah I remember how AMAZING I thought Alternators Smokescreen was just because it was trying to do a G1 design in a modern toy and that had basically NEVER happened before.

It seemed like something out of a dream at the time. Practically an impossibility made real.

-ZacWilliam, which is so very ironic given what has come since.

Octavius Prime

UT Enthusiast
Citizen
Honestly, Universe 1.0 was a pretty important precursor to a full neo-G1 line as it made some actual G1 molds available at retail nearly 20 years after the franchise began and, likely more importantly, it did a bunch of "let's repaint these non-G1 molds into G1 characters" that would also be a bit prevalent in the UT lines. I feel that kind of stuff paved the way for Classics and what came after.

Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Yeah I remember how AMAZING I thought Alternators Smokescreen was just because it was trying to do a G1 design in a modern toy and that had basically NEVER happened before.

I think Alternators Smokescreen is still pretty amazing. Not fun to transform, but still amazing. Smokescreen, Silverstreak, Ravage, and Mirage all hang out on a shelf in my office at work, but Smokescreen is the stand-out figure.

I'm not going to lie, I would be down for an Alternator-like line in the deluxe scale/complexity that used classic transformations on modern vehicles. Particularly race cars with authentic paint work.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Honestly, Universe 1.0 was a pretty important precursor to a full neo-G1 line as it made some actual G1 molds available at retail nearly 20 years after the franchise began and, likely more importantly, it did a bunch of "let's repaint these non-G1 molds into G1 characters that would also be a bit prevalent in the UT lines. I feel that kind of stuff paved the way for Classics and what came after.

I pretty much forgot about that line, not that I was really collecting much back then, I only have two figures from that line which was a two pack, Ultra Magnus (Benndy Armada Op painted white) and the Armada Sideswipe repaint, so I guess we could say Universe 1.0 was testing the waters for what would come next! I wonder if we'll ever see a revisit to Armada OP, he was the first & last Optimus prime in a TV show not to have windows and as his chest that I can think of!!

Dake

Citizen

correct-futurama.gif

At this point you're just being pedantic to be pedantic, aren't you?

Have you met Sabr? :D

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
The reason I'm likely out on Legacy Bulkhead is because I didn't want a Bulkhead because I liked the character (I'd rather have Animated Bulkhead in that case, TBH) but because I really liked the show and wanted a collection to reflect that. There's nothing wrong with the concept of a G1-ified Bulkhead, but it just wasn't what I, personally, was looking for.

Xellos

Citizen
So I picked up Legacy Laser Optimus Prime and Galvatron today...

Optimus is quite awesome and has a surprisingly involved transformation. His head was a bit tight to turn, but nothing a little shock oil couldn't smooth out. My only real "issue" with the mold itself is the same I have with the Earthrise/Kingdom Optimus, in that, by using the same legs, slightly modified from Siege Optimus, they look a bit too long and mess up the proportion look a bit. And the vestigial hole for the post being on the outside of the leg is annoying.

The other issue is that, now no longer being able to see the figure in the package (which may be better than the theft inviting Voyager and Deluxe packaging), I did not know there were paint chips on his chest grill, so now I gotta track down some matching paint to touch it up.

I do hope they keep having a removable Matrix with the Optimus figures going forward, though.

Galvatron.... Yeah, my 4th Galvatron.... It almost feels like how I feel suckered to getting all the new consoles as they come out (which I happily broke with the XseX, since all the games are on PC anyways), though, with tighter joints, not having the weathering, and having an arm cannon that is tight in the arm pegs (my original was loose, but toy and TRON versions are fine), I feel like this is the (current) definitive version I can get. Plus, I love the character, and my state suddenly gave me a free* $500 check, so I figured why not.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I can’t believe they’re making a Laser Prime without the essential, iconic Some Kind of Bucket. Literally worthless SMH
So, when the Allspark posted pictures of the Japanese release today, they referenced this line, which... makes no sense to me. Rather than ask "what are you talking about?" outright, I tried to research the phrase, which as best as I can figure originates with this post.

But, despite being familiar with the original (and I own the RiD Scourge repaint), I still can't figure out what this is about (beyond the reference to Transformers fans being perpetually unhappy about pretty much everything). What bucket am I looking for?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So, when the Allspark posted pictures of the Japanese release today, they referenced this line, which... makes no sense to me. Rather than ask "what are you talking about?" outright, I tried to research the phrase, which as best as I can figure originates with this post.

But, despite being familiar with the original (and I own the RiD Scourge repaint), I still can't figure out what this is about (beyond the reference to Transformers fans being perpetually unhappy about pretty much everything). What bucket am I looking for?
It's a reference to a production photo of the original Laser Optimus Prime's trailer base that had all of the base's features labeled with humorlessly simplistic descriptors like "Big ol' tower!" and "Some sort of bucket".

It had previously been posted on the old forums years ago, but has since been lost in the big forum crash hack of last year. It was originally posted by The Spacebridge, so the original photo could still be out on the Internet somewhere.

Top Bottom