Transformers Legacy toyline

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've wanted a "G1" style Animated Bulkhead for years. This version is....an interesting mix of elements from Animated, Prime, and Movie Hound. I'm not sure yet how I feel about the result. It doesn't look terrible, but it's definitely not what I had pictured.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
You were not told you were getting that by Hasbro.

Hasbro announced nothing and promised you nothing.

If a leaker made you think you'd get a Prime-style Bulkhead and instead Hasbro was always making a G1-reimagined Bulkhead that's not their fault or the toys.

-ZacWilliam, it just seems silly to me to reject a good looking toy because you imagined something the wrong way.
Dude, it says so right there in the article (twice) that this is supposed to be Prime Bulkhead.

Kup

Citizen
and when that Bulkhead comes out & shelfwarms like mad because it's a Wave 1 release and looks awful, the takeaway from execs will be "welp, nobody wants Prime-era stuff! Back to G1 until the end of time!"
Add Skids to that, since he’s barely a Tier C character.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Dude, it says so right there in the article (twice) that this is supposed to be Prime Bulkhead.

It says it is "Inspired by Prime Bulkhead" and with a "Deco" based on Prime Bulkhead.

Both of those are true.

-ZacWilliam, it's just a Generations-ized version. I already got good toys of his Prime and Animated designs that they are not gonna top at modern budgets.A new take is a better idea.

The Phazer

Citizen
I think the worrying thing is that it seems like Wave 3 of Kingdom wasn't just an aberration, but there's been another permanent reduction in costs and parts counts. That's going to suck, because that wave was bad.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think if Bulkhead had tapered in the top of the cab like the vehicle it seems to be based on:

armytruck.jpg

and shortened the legs a little to give him the "stumpy" look that he usually has, I would have been a lot happier with the design. Icing on the cake would have been the 3 finger "Dune Sandworm Mouth" hands.

MrBlud

Citizen
This Bulkhead is less “Beast Wars 10th Anniversary” Megatron and more “Armada Dinobot” Grimlock”

Which hey, veracity of “based on” and “inspired by” G1 Grimlock notwithstanding if I really wanted a G1 Grimlock I’d be pretty disappointed with that one…

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
My getting of the Prime figures was dependant on how much they looked like the characters in the show, so this is a massive miss for me. Might grab him, Arcee and Knockout, but I doubt I'm going to bother with a whole cast like I was thinking about.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It says it is "Inspired by Prime Bulkhead" and with a "Deco" based on Prime Bulkhead.

Both of those are true.

-ZacWilliam, it's just a Generations-ized version. I already got good toys of his Prime and Animated designs that they are not gonna top at modern budgets.A new take is a better idea.
It says that this is "Voyager Prime Universe Bulkhead" and "Bulkhead's design is inspired by The Transformers: Prime series." That's far more explicit that mere deco inspiration.

And it only calls out Skids as being "updated with a Generations-style design," not so for Bulkhead.

Dake

Citizen
Gonna add one more thought: both toys on their own I think are fine.

As representations of “Legacy” characters, not so much.

Give these two a new head and new color scheme with original names and they might be exciting.

Well, Skids will get his obvious repaints. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bulkhead may have suffered a bit to be repainted into someone else "close enough".

I've wanted a "G1" style Animated Bulkhead for years. This version is....an interesting mix of elements from Animated, Prime, and Movie Hound. I'm not sure yet how I feel about the result. It doesn't look terrible, but it's definitely not what I had pictured.

I think I like him. My only real complaint is I preferred his Animated armored-car look over Prime's up-armored VAMP look. As a vehicle, this sort of takes the worst of both alt-modes. If they were going to go that route, I wish they'd gone a little more armored Unimog, vs utility truck. It also might have allowed them to get the bulk part of Bulkhead without resorting to such a square cab.

58b83f8621f55.jpg

I think that's the most jarring part is he's always been rounded and just b/c he's G1 doesn't mean he needs to be completely square.

No it doesn't. It says...

...while Bulkhead's design is inspired by The Transformers: Prime series

In other words, he's green and has Bulkhead's head.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The only thing in his design that's inspired by Prime Bulkhead is his robot mode head.

Everything else is just "generic green military guy", which Bulkhead's design was so much more than.

Robogeek1973

An oldie but a goodie!
Citizen
I'm liking them both, but the cost cutting is getting really out of hand, especially since the prices just went up again.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Well, Skids will get his obvious repaints. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bulkhead may have suffered a bit to be repainted into someone else "close enough".

I believe it was going around from the leakers of TFW for months now that he would share a bunch of his mold with the Non-G1 Optimus listed.

-ZacWilliam, from there there are a ton of obvious but kinda boring possibilities

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
didnt watch prime so dont care about bulkhead. but skids is...an improvement over the t30 one we got? the only real flaw with the last skids is getting him to stand, otherwise i like him. im not hating this one but its kinda bland (which i guess fits skids :devilish:). hhmmm. i dont know. will definitely have to wait for reviews to see if its worth getting

I think the problem is that Bulkhead should not BE a G1-style toy; Hasbro should move the **** on and remember that OTHER. SHOWS. AND. ART. STYLES. EXIST!!!!

hasbro will remember that when harmony gold remembers robotech isnt just the macross saga...

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I'm not sure if it's cost cutting or a change in design team...but I do think both look a bit "rough around the edges" in ways the last few years haven't. Then again, the last few years have been pretty heavy on characters done and redone to death so maybe this is a result of some "leg stretching".

Skids looks a bit off just standing, but okay "in motion". Bulkhead is not how I would have done it (and it seems like he's destined for other uses, General Optimus Prime maybe?), but I don't think he looks BAD...just a bit dull. A lot of these issues are made up to me by the continued support of the peg systems and the FANTASTIC looking Energon weapons Hasbro seems to be working with for this line. Bulkhead clearly seems designed for us to slap a TON of assorted parts from the past 3 years onto him (though, that feels more like a "AOE Hound" thing than a Bulkhead thing...)
The line had my attention, now it has my interest....

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I'm okay with Bulkhead.... I think? My biggest issue is he's completely square it's like they forgot G1 can have smooth lines. I google g1 Bulkhead and see a bunch of customs using Inferno, Hound and Ironhide and they have curved chests from the windshield mimicking Bulkhead's chest (except for Hound).

My other issue is that his legs look too long, Bulkhead's like a power lifter thick short legs and solid muscle up top, but maybe he's not that tall among other figures. And his var mode is totally AoE Hound.

All that said, I think he'll look good on a shelf with bots like Ironhide and Ultra Magnus.

Top Bottom