Transformers Legacy toyline

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yup. Here's an example of how that works now.

I will defend Menasor's stupid cartoon combination until I die. It's barely a combiner at that point, but to me that's the charm. Every 5 bot combiner is essentially the same toy over and over to the point where they've managed to make combiners boring, but then there's Menasor doing whatever a Menasor does.

Menasor doesn't understand what he's supposed to be doing or whether he's doing it right, but he does have a big sword and you look choppable.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
That's pretty much what I expected when we first heard the rumors of a Commander-class Motormaster. There just wasn't any other way it really made sense to have a Commander class bot combine with Deluxe limbs. The combiner hands and feet just aren't enough to justify selling a Voyager-sized bot as a Commander-class release.

Expected though it may be, I still can't help but find it very disappointing. CW Menasor was indeed the weakest of the CW-style combiners, but I always found Menasor the weakest of the cartoon combiner designs. So switching from the CW style to a cartoon-inspired design seems like a lateral move at best.

I'll still wait to see what he looks like. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up being a really good representation of the cartoon design. I just don't know if that's really going to have a place on my shelf.

NovaSaber

Citizen
I'm picking up Dragstrip and Dead End, maybe breakdown regardless. If they do the toy-styled noggin for Menasor, I might be convinced to pick it up regardless of my dislike of the cartoon's combination method
I really can't see them copying the stupid part of the worse of Menasor's two show models, and then not having the cartoon head.

That's pretty much what I expected when we first heard the rumors of a Commander-class Motormaster. There just wasn't any other way it really made sense to have a Commander class bot combine with Deluxe limbs. The combiner hands and feet just aren't enough to justify selling a Voyager-sized bot as a Commander-class release.

Expected though it may be, I still can't help but find it very disappointing. CW Menasor was indeed the weakest of the CW-style combiners, but I always found Menasor the weakest of the cartoon combiner designs. So switching from the CW style to a cartoon-inspired design seems like a lateral move at best.

I'll still wait to see what he looks like. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up being a really good representation of the cartoon design. I just don't know if that's really going to have a place on my shelf.
One of the early rumors claimed that Commander torsos were going to be the standard for multiple new combiners, but the way they're doing Motormaster would make even less sense for any of the other ones, so I don't really think that's likely, and I certainly hope it isn't.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
One of the early rumors claimed that Commander torsos were going to be the standard for multiple new combiners, but the way they're doing Motormaster would make even less sense for any of the other ones, so I don't really think that's likely, and I certainly hope it isn't.
Yeah, I remember that rumor. Didn't make a lot of sense then, and makes even less now. I also never liked that idea because that would mean the sole Commander slot each year would be taken for the rumored annual combiner, and there are other bots I'd like to see as Commanders. Like Deathsaurus to go with Victory Saber.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I rather not have the combiners take up the commander class slot unless they are ditching the titan class and pour the budget into the commander class figures and leader, so that we can have say one combiner and then maybe some other large character who not a city bot, I kind of get the reasoning behind legacy Cybertron Metroplex but with combiners, most of the CW combiners were pretty much prefect verisons of their G1 selves, thou still got admit the Sky reign was certainly a unexpected combiner, I passed on the retool set as Liokasier as it felt kind of stupid throwing Deathsaurus in as the stand alone beast mode on a combiner that really meant to be six robots not five!

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
Yup. Here's an example of how that works now.

I will defend Menasor's stupid cartoon combination until I die. It's barely a combiner at that point, but to me that's the charm. Every 5 bot combiner is essentially the same toy over and over to the point where they've managed to make combiners boring, but then there's Menasor doing whatever a Menasor does.

Menasor doesn't understand what he's supposed to be doing or whether he's doing it right, but he does have a big sword and you look choppable.
That's beautiful. Not a big 3P guy, but if that's what Hasbro has in mind, it's bought.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the main thing either way is to just pick a thing and go with it. Menasor has two very distinct designs to choose from. If you're going to make a toon Menasor because everything must be toon now forever and ever, just do that and do it as well as you can. I'll enjoy the silliness of it.

Don't try to split the difference and make a Menasor that doesn't do anything particularly well.

Octavius Prime

UT Enthusiast
Citizen
In regards to Menasor, my instinct is that scramble city combiners should be compatible with each other. That said, if we do get a cartoon-like Menasor (with limbs formed by the trailer and all), I'll be ok with it. We already got two unique combiners during Prime Wars, and in my head canon PW is later in the timeline than WfC/Legacy, so I can see Menasor being altered from one combination type to another.

My main disappointment is that Motormaster apparently, again, won't have a robot mode made from the trailer + cab. We'll see.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Given the mass of the Commander class, that’d make Motormaster around Jetfire-sized. Kinda goes against their emphasis on scale, as well as infringing into Menasor’s schtick somewhat. If you’re already the size of a small house, slapping some cars onto the back of your shins isn’t going to make you much more intimidating.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
in my head canon PW is later in the timeline than WfC/Legacy, so I can see Menasor being altered from one combination type to another.

My main disappointment is that Motormaster apparently, again, won't have a robot mode made from the trailer + cab. We'll see.

Motormaster still not having a robot mode made from the trailer does fit your conception of PW and WFC/Legacy fitting together somehow. Maybe the trailer got destroyed and the maniacs tried combining anyway and CW Menasor was the messy result.

Notomus

Unofficial Pope of Devconism
Citizen
Those weren't "Beast Wars updates" they were "Pre-Beast Wars". They weren't saying "Hey we changed the beast guys into vehicles just because." They were made to be the bodies the characters had on Cybertron before taking their beast forms. They were given in-story justification for their altered appearances, justification that had been previously been established all the way back in the cartoon's first episode.

This is what I meant...

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
People keep saying that…but I’m seeing precious little evidence of it. Hell, I’ve only seen a single dubious retailer listing for K-35 (supposedly the Earthrise Starscream repack).
If just seems unlikely that Hasbro is going to bother with another Voyager release when there’s who knows how much back stock sitting off the west coast. Further, I find it questionable they’d ignore any last wave stuff for Kingdom, especially for such a popular character as they move to reveal the next line.
MX-01 Archon, :
giphy.gif

MrBlud

Citizen
To be fair, many of us are going to have to wait for the inevitable repack in the new line since stores (even in normal times) NEVER get in last wave stuff so the only way to get one is to preorder ahead of time which Hasbro has explicitly disallowed in this case.

so….

Dake

Citizen
It is kind of funny to me that they are making a point of not having long-term pre-orders for the final wave stuff. Is this another case of the community being its own worst enemy? We are frustrated by being unable to buy things at brick and mortar so we have now gotten to a point where everything announced is immediately put up to preorder. But people preordering items complain about having to wait a year for things so now we start working back towards not being able to find things again?

I suppose long-term preorders does make it easier to cancel though which throws off inventory and sales numbers to a certain degree, but I think that's the cost of doing business. Or I wonder if stores like Wal-mart and Target have begun to gripe about online pre-orders taking away from their sales?

Personally, I much prefer just placing the orders for stuff I'm interested in when it's announced. Waiting for a preorder to ship isn't much different than simply waiting for an announced item to arrive in a store and buying it then, with the added bonus of not having to hunt around for it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My guess is they don't want to do pre-orders unless they have confidence in a ship date, and it's getting harder to plan very far ahead.

Dake

Citizen
That's just it though. They show up when they show up, be it in store or at my doorstep. If I'm buying it anyway, just send it to me - don't make it more difficult for me to get it by requiring that I wait the same indeterminate amount of time and then also wander around the city hoping to beat a scalper to it.

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
Welp... if that description of how Menasor and the other combiners are going to be designed in Legacy is true, then I'll be saving much more money from this line than I thought. :p I have the CW/PotP versions, they're all pretty cool modernizations of their respective designs, and they Scramble like I want - I'm happy with that.

Last edited:

Top Bottom