Transformers Legacy toyline

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
The only addon kit I've gotten is the DNA one for the Ark, which was only a 1/4th the base price of the whole figure instead of nearly the price of the whole figure. Makes the ship mode look way better and the new hands are pretty great too.

I'm thinking of getting the DNA kit for Menasor to beef him up a bit and I'm waffling on getting the DNA kit for Scourge; I was more into the idea before I discovered you have to rip the trailer apart to get it into the ridiculous backpack mode. Less enthused now.

I was going to pick up some Toyhax stickers for the Ark (to break up some of that orange) and Scourge (to fix his windows and make his trailer shiny and chrome) but that's 100 bucks right there and good grief that's a lot for sticks I'm definitely not even going to use all of.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I've only dipped a little into the add-on market. Bought a Matrix for G1 Prime from Transrepro back in the day, and the G1 Prowl and Tracks heads for RiD Prowl and Sideburn (looking back, 20-y.o. me was kind of a dork! Thankfully, I quickly got out of that stage and reversed that error!)
And a few sticker sets from Reprolabels before they became Toyhax and went all nuts with the upgrade sets.
And a couple Targetmaster partners of various quality.
And, most recently, some replacement faceplates for TR titanmasters that I still haven't gotten around to using.

Ultimately, although there are custom projects I still want to do when I have time and space, I've come to the realization that, for my collection, I could spend a lot of time and money making my Transformers "perfect" (which would still not be truly perfect, how many different versions of various characters have I bought over the years because they were slightly "better"?), or I could enjoy them for what they are, and maybe pass that enjoyment on to the next generation. The add-on kits have their place, and I can absolutely see why some fans would want them, but they are definitely not for everyone.

Badgertron

Citizen
I've bought a few upgrade kits in the past couple years that I felt were totally worth it, especially the leg extensions for Doubledealer & Kingdom Scorponok. Haven't dipped my toes into any Legacy Prime upgrades, but I'm loving the variety from different makers on offer!

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The only addon kit I've bought was an axe for Steelbane.

Thought about one for Potpie Volcanicus, but didn't really like the set enough to buy some turd polish for it.

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
I mostly only buy add-ons from JRC Design Store. Grimlock teeth. Mirage shoulder-cannon holders. Swords for Maximal Skywarp. Wing fillers for Terrorsaur because they keep his wings from easily popping off. These are typically cheap enough that I'm fine picking them up. I don't like filler pieces in general, though I did get the hatch for Perceptor's back. It's hinged, which I thought was neat.

But I'm currently waiting for DNA Designs DK-35 to ship to me. It's the replacement chest and fusion cannon for the Studio Series Movie 1 Megatron. If they work right, they'll really complete that figure. Expensive, though. So I probably shouldn't have done it. Hope it's high quality.

Shadewing

Citizen
I mostly only buy add-ons from JRC Design Store. Grimlock teeth. Mirage shoulder-cannon holders. Swords for Maximal Skywarp. Wing fillers for Terrorsaur because they keep his wings from easily popping off. These are typically cheap enough that I'm fine picking them up. I don't like filler pieces in general, though I did get the hatch for Perceptor's back. It's hinged, which I thought was neat.

But I'm currently waiting for DNA Designs DK-35 to ship to me. It's the replacement chest and fusion cannon for the Studio Series Movie 1 Megatron. If they work right, they'll really complete that figure. Expensive, though. So I probably shouldn't have done it. Hope it's high quality.

I ended up with TWO sets of Swords for Skywarp; I got the Sideswipe/Kingdom set off ebay, and came included with swords and an spoiler (which actually cost me slightly less then retail) but had also found at the same time a set of swords that connect more similarly to the original toy. So I decided to see which I liked better. Ended up prefering the ones that came with the set, becuase they were longer, looked better, and were a closer match to his white plastic; even if don't connect 'right' in Beast mode (They clip under his wings can become like blasters.)

Also got shoulder mounts for Mirage, becuase wth Hasbro you got it right on Siege.

...Might need to look into those wing fillers for Terrorsaur.

DNA Designs stuff is usually VERY worth the price. They're expensive, but they don't have the 3D printed feel that some of the cheaper stuff does. So they tend to feel more 'natural', least imo. It's not that big a thing for me, but I suspect for others it makes a lot of difference.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I really enjoy third party add-ons that enhance figures I already own. There have certainly been plenty of companies over the years that pad out their sets with questionable/unnecessary parts (really looking in your direction, DNA!), but mostly, I find that I enjoy the sets that I do buy. I very rarely order Reprolables anymore, unless it's for a G1 figure or if I think that I am going to use most of what the sticker set comes with. By the time you figure in shipping, what should be just a fun little add-on costs about as much as the figure itself, and I don't want to go down that road.

DNA's Ark set was really nice though, and like Undead Scottsman mentioned, it did not sting as badly knowing that it didn't bump up against the cost of the Ark itself. I do wish though, that companies like DNA would make some of their items a la carte, such as guns, "gap fillers", etc. That way, if a customer wanted just the gun from a "set", they wouldn't have to shell out the full price for a bunch of stuff that wouldn't get used. This happens from time to time these days, but I'd like to see it more.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Most addons I tend to get these days are filler for the more glaring parts of figures, mainly where Hasbro has cheepened out, example, Studio series 86 Grimlock, what on earth were they thinking when they desgined his arms and have nothing to cover up those holes where his hands fold away, I'm glad Slag & Sludge didn't do that and we get something different! With my Ark, I got some parts that cover up parts of the ship mode and have moving guns, thou for transforming, I would need to take those parts off, but then I am keeping my Ark in ship mode as its the better mode in my view!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I did like when DNA's "upgrade" for SS86 Grimlock's Wheelie was nearly a whole replacement toy. It feels vaguely like they were trying to be funny but it certainly was an upgrade.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
All Slug really needs of upgrade is replacement horns and a sword, plus a filler for his tail, I kind of get what Hasbro were going for, but its not really the greatest idea for the character, then they kind of messed up a little on Sludge, by not enabling his robot mode feet to fold away in Dino mode and why they used rubber with his wing panels is a odd choice from a desgin view!

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I did like when DNA's "upgrade" for SS86 Grimlock's Wheelie was nearly a whole replacement toy. It feels vaguely like they were trying to be funny but it certainly was an upgrade.
And by "nearly", you mean "everything but the slingshot".....

I'd be down for just a set of the swords once they're all out. I don't care about the gap fillers or the extraneous "bonus" figures, but I like swords.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I don’t like filler parts since more often than not, they seem to be just tacked on to justify pumped up prices.

Hollow parts and gaps suck but I don’t find them a big enough issue to buy fillers. If they come with functional parts I want, sure I’d use them otherwise, I can’t justify shelling out half or more the cost of the base toy for purely cosmetic items. I don’t like how a lot of them are 3D print stuff and half the time don’t even bother color matching. For the price and work I’d still have to do, I’d just take a bit of epoxy putty, stuff it in the hole and paint to match.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I guess I technically buy add-ons, in that I buy Toyhax stickers and (mostly my own) Shapeways accessories, but most of the stuff y'all are talking about holds no appeal for me. I grew up on Micromasters, I'm immune to hollow parts.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Speaking of add-ons, do we have any idea how well the set Hasbro released themselves did? That we didn't get any more seems like an ill omen there.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'm surprised the major upgrade kit makers haven't made a collection of spoilers and guns for all the Earthrise/Siege cars that didn't get them. The only kits out are basically (fairly expensive) garage model kits sold to the US market or those with PayPal.

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
I forgot I bought any spoilers, but I actually bought JRC Designs spoilers for Sideswipe, Red Alert, and Sunstreaker. Really feels like they should've came with the originals, especially because they all had clear holes for the parts.

I also got the Doubledealer missile handle, the Warpath shield adapter, and the leg stiffeners for Fangry. The leg stiffeners didn't work for me, though. I guess I ordered more JRC stuff than I thought. Yet I still bought no gap fillers.

I'd like a company to make stronger versions of some easily broken parts. Like Movie Legends Scorponok's tail stinger.

Top Bottom