Transformers Legacy toyline

Shadewing

Citizen
I mean if you take this literal children's franchise more seriously than that, that's on you tbh.

Shall I point to all the literal children's franchises that are more serious then that? Or are you just being pedantic about this one series to prove some hypothetical non-existent point?

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Your ability to state the TF concept in simple terms isn't especially convincing that I should accept TFs as simple.
Unluckiness described the war between two well-defined factions as "simple," not the entire concept of what Transformers is, was, and ever will be.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Unluckiness described the war between two well-defined factions as "simple," not the entire concept of what Transformers is, was, and ever will be.
He specifically was complaining about the introduction of gods and mythology (I'm not looking up the exact quote, I understand) to a "GI Joe, but with robots" concept. Sounds pretty reductionistic to me.

MrBlud

Citizen
…but it is.

There’s not a huge gulf between

“The Autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons”

and

“G.I. Joe is the codename for America's daring, highly trained, special mission force.
Its purpose: To defend human freedom against Cobra, a ruthless, terrorist organization determined to rule the world.”

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Transformers has been around enough that you can find exceptions to the basic premise - Alien race of transforming robots with the heroic Autobots fighting the evil Decepticons - everywhere

Beast Wars changes the factions, and the reason for Transformation

Shattered Glass flips the sides

There's been multiple continuities where the war has ended, with various states of the the factions coexisting

And then there's Botbots

But the ultimate premise of Transformers (robots that change from one thing into another) is still extremely basic to this day. There's just a lot of crap that's been built onto it it over the last nearly 40 years. (God I'm old.)

EDIT: Hell, even that premise isn't absolute; Actionmasters exist.

Doghouse Reilly

Citizen
That’s fine. The brand is big enough to be a lot of things to a lot of people

I think this is the best way of looking at it. I mean, there's a chunk of the fandom that doesn't care one whit about the various fictions and just loves cool robot toys that turn into also-cool cars and jets and whatnot as products unto themselves. Can't get much a much simpler than that to those fans, whose interpretation is equally as valid.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I was more into super robots before getting back into transformers after high school. Most of those guys have had zero fiction since decades before I was born, so I'm no stranger to just buying cool robots. In fact, being able to turn into vehicles that aren't flying pants or fists on wheels are already a huge improvement.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I on the other hand am absolutely here for the characters and fiction first. I love the toys, but largely so much as they embody those things.

Every "Red Cog" toy could fall into a black hole and I wouldn't care a fig because hasbro didn't bother to make up a character or fiction or anything to bring the toy to life. Conversely I find the Dark Amber Lio Convoy toy phenomenally boring but the little comic Takara is making for it is so damn fun I kinda want him now.

Not saying there's anything wrong with caring about toys and toy designs first mind you, it's just not where most of my personal interest happens to fall.

-ZacWilliam, there's a reason why I would LOVE to see Studio Series Sludge made into Paddles. Hasbro? Maybe?

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
-ZacWilliam, there's a reason why I would LOVE to see Studio Series Sludge made into Paddles. Hasbro? Maybe?
Paddles?!? That is a deep cut. I was just reading that story in my old Legends Anthology the other day. I actually just looked to see if Paddles appeared anywhere else and it seems there is a mention in the Earth wars game.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
This isn't the first time that's happened. Walmart xclusive BW Megatron hit some Targets last year. There have been other instances.

-ZacWilliam, bassically a screw up at the shipping level and the stores generally just keep what they're sent mistake it's not.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
It's generally just not worth the expense of shipping a couple of cases back, so it's either just stocked with regular merch or, if not fungible with it, sold at a discount to just get rid of it, or sent to salvage, where it eventually ends up at a discount chain.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Got the email from Pulse that Motormaster will be shipping soon. Looking forward to getting him but my wallet weeps.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I got Override in today, nice figure, a little fiddly on the transformation for the chest area, the only thing that would make it better would be if the front of the head could use the clear red plastic at the back for light pipping, had Motor Master, Bltizwing and the spider in the other day, with Mensor, for now, the platform part, is acting as wings for for him, Blitzwing, gave the big hand things off to SG OP to go with the two Brunts he wearing, nothing happened with the Spider, he just chilling in beast mode currently!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Vehicle mode (and Peacemaker) pics for Dead End and Blanker:

Peacemaker looks like an all-too-faithful recreation of his 1987 G1 mold, right down to having fused legs.

Top Bottom