Or Prime Dreadwing:

PrimeDreadwingTVAichiPromoRender.jpg

Or, heh, even Classics Thunderwing:

Class06-toy_Thunderwing.jpg

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Sounds like the supposedly reformed Megatron still has no problems with beating up his old Decepticon comrades.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I've often said I'm exhausted by the war stuff, but looking at the last 15 years of fiction, I feel like maybe I already got my way and just didn't notice the aggregate.

Spoilers for like the last fifteen years of fiction
Earthspark has Megatron as reformed
IDW 2.0 is an outlier, but it also ended early, who knows where it would have gone.
War for Cybertron ends in a the two factions (well, four factions) going their separate ways in peace.
Cyberverse has Megatron find a much greater threat and end the war in a tenuous cease fire that eventually leads to a longlasting peace and reunification of Cybertron.
IDW 1.0 has the whole end of the war, reformed Megatron stuff that goes on for quite a while.
Prime Wars starts with the war being over, and even has Megatron as the curmudgeonly veteran helping Prime and Windblade.
Prime/RID has Megatron losing his taste for conquest after being possessed by Unicron, ending the war and leaving only a handful of Decepticons left who still want to fight (and a bucketload of Decepticon criminals who get loose on earth)
Animated starts with the war being long in the past and Decepticons being near mythical by that point, and by the end Megatron and his loyalists are in custody.
The war in the movies kind of faded out as other factions became a greater focus. Megatron never reforms, but it also feels like between the creator stuff and the Quintessa stuff, the Bot/Con war took a backseat.

...kinda make me nostalgic for G1, actually. Maybe the next comic publisher doing a slavish G1 comic (which I suspect will happen) won't be such a bad thing after all.

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
nah I'm good.
There's enough popular sci-fi series that are just about war by default.
(for example I'm currently watching through Gundam)

So we got girl Skywarp and Nova Storm? Sunstorm? in the trailer.
Maybe earthspark will finally give us a deluxe class femme seeker mold!

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly one of the things I'd like that will never really happen is a Shattered Glass series that is them on Earth fighting each other. We get a glimpse of it in the IDW version, and yeah the Botcon has text stories about that; but still I'd like to see a sorta classic G1 series take on Shattered Glass. Crash on Earth, Wake up, deal with humans, etc. It'd be a way to both just be a tradtional G1-esque war story but still have something new to offer. Like maybe play it straight of Heroic Decepticons vs Evil Autobots or maybe have the Autobots pull a Thunderbolts make Earth think they are the good guys after all they are fighting a group actively called 'Decepticons' Clearly they are the liars and decievers.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd want that just for the oddball generation of fans that would result, hailing Megatron as their hero and Optimus Prime as scum.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Ah, the Raksha generation.
More than one fan who was around during the ATT days has noticed how a lot of recent TF fiction (War Within, IDW 2005, and Exodus being notable examples) have Megatron start off with Legitimate Issues against how Cybertronian society is being run -- only later does the desire to impose his own will on things swallow him up.

Raksha's still on the Book of Faces, but to my knowledge, in this fragmented-by-platform fandom, no-one's ever asked her how she feels about pro-writers of TF fiction giving her partial vindication.

I suspect she would have felt similar to Tarn re: IDW 2005 Megatron's eventual arc, mind you.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
More than one fan who was around during the ATT days has noticed how a lot of recent TF fiction (War Within, IDW 2005, and Exodus being notable examples) have Megatron start off with Legitimate Issues against how Cybertronian society is being run -- only later does the desire to impose his own will on things swallow him up.

Frankly, its a legitimate character arc:
"This world is broken, but we can fix it by making impassioned appeals to the ruling class"
"Oh, okay... the ruling class is why the worlds broken, guess we need to take to the streets"
"Oh... and now the ruling class is shooting at us... guess we need to fight back"
"Okay, **** it, I'll just do the ruling myself, I'm pretty sure I can't trust anyone else to do it"
"Oops, I went too far..."

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Frankly, its a legitimate character arc:
"This world is broken, but we can fix it by making impassioned appeals to the ruling class"
"Oh, okay... the ruling class is why the worlds broken, guess we need to take to the streets"
"Oh... and now the ruling class is shooting at us... guess we need to fight back"
"Okay, **** it, I'll just do the ruling myself, I'm pretty sure I can't trust anyone else to do it"
"Oops, I went too far..."
Very much so -- but it's an arc that was notably lacking in Sunbow-G1 and Marvel-G1 (barring the occasional UK flashback story), which were the two major continuities we had to go by in the late 1990s. As roundly mocked as Raksha was for questioning Budiansky's Tech Specs that inspired both, it seems she was in some ways further ahead of her time than many might care to admit.

(It's also notable that the writers of the later storylines will try to insulate Optimus from this dynamic somehow -- he may be a Prime but he is not necessarily fighting for the status quo ante bellum.)

Shadewing

Citizen
Very much so -- but it's an arc that was notably lacking in Sunbow-G1 and Marvel-G1 (barring the occasional UK flashback story), which were the two major continuities we had to go by in the late 1990s. As roundly mocked as Raksha was for questioning Budiansky's Tech Specs that inspired both, it seems she was in some ways further ahead of her time than many might care to admit.

(It's also notable that the writers of the later storylines will try to insulate Optimus from this dynamic somehow -- he may be a Prime but he is not necessarily fighting for the status quo ante bellum.)

And is usually with, or at least not against, Megatron till somewhere between steps 3 and 4.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Let's be fair about it here: until the fairly recent forays into the fiction (say... prime and forward.) megatron really didn't have that much characterization. At first it was because he was literally just the bad guy in a kids 23 minute long toy commercial.

Then they kinda kept the ambiguity cause it basically worked for the last 15 or so years, why change now?

We've finally reached the point where the kids who GREW UP loving the franchise, the setting, the characters are now in charge of continuing the franchise. Of course it's only going to get better from here... robots in disguise not withstanding.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Very much so -- but it's an arc that was notably lacking in Sunbow-G1 and Marvel-G1 (barring the occasional UK flashback story), which were the two major continuities we had to go by in the late 1990s.
Because they were written at a time when bad guy supervillains were cartoonishly evil with little-to-no nuance or subtlety to their "evil for evil's sake" nature. G1 Megatron was just a naturally-born bully.

Top Bottom