Transformers Collaborative thread (Transformers X TMNT - Party Wallop)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
@The Green Eyed Lycan's stop-motion videos in the Post Pictures of Your Transformers thread reminded me of something I've always wanted, on this topic:

Seaspray as a G.I. Joe Killer W.H.A.L.E.

I had one of those as a kid, and it was my fondness for it that helped urge me on to get Seaspray when I found him in a toy store years later.

Of course, I know it probably wouldn't happen, not at G.I. Joe scale, at least. Not if Beachcomber can't even be the A.W.E. Striker.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
@The Green Eyed Lycan's stop-motion videos in the Post Pictures of Your Transformers thread reminded me of something I've always wanted, on this topic:

I had one of those as a kid, and it was my fondness for it that helped urge me on to get Seaspray when I found him in a toy store years later.

Of course, I know it probably wouldn't happen, not at G.I. Joe scale, at least. Not if Beachcomber can't even be the A.W.E. Striker.

Deep Dive is probably the closest you'll ever get. It is a fun toy, though (I only have the Sea Spray version of the mold).

TF2010-toy_DeepDive.jpg

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen

I would love it if the next round of TF redos used GI Joe vehicles for altmodes, even if they weren't to Joe scale. Seaspray and Beachcomber are practically begging to be the W.H.A.L.E. and the A.W.E. Striker, Powerglide is already almost the Rattler/Tiger Rat ( the Viper redeco says hello), and Warpath would be a natural fit for the M.O.B.A.T., and that's just for starters. Lots of possibilities, plus the natural options to release the figures in both TF and Joe decos.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
I got the Megatron/HISS yesterday, and I think it generally delivers on my expectations.

The good:
  • It does a great job of looking like a HISS tank in HISS tank mode. The pieces all fit together well, and you only get hints of Megatron grey on the underside.
  • It does a great job of looking like Megatron in Megatron mode. Maybe the best Megatron headsculpt ever.
  • Perfect interaction with GI Joe figures, in both modes. Feels totally uncompromised, when most Transformers/driver combinations are sort of "wedge the human in a vaguely seat-shaped crevice"
  • Transformation is more involved than it might seem. It's not just a robot crouching down.
  • Fantastic box design, from the artwork to the way the shell splits apart to reveal the inner box. Baroness comes on her own separate GI Joe card with a peg hole and everything, which I imagine was a decision made for the Joe collectors.
The not-so-good:
  • The plastic is super light, making it feel very different from a standard Transformer and more like a knockoff, or, dare I say it, a GI Joe vehicle.
  • Every part is hollow, though the only part I find really offensive is the fusion cannon, which looks awful from every angle except overhead--yet it's mounted on the side of Megatron's forearm (which I suppose is another quibble...)
  • While the robot-mode "backpack" allows for excellent driver interaction, it's still really, really, REALLY big. At least they should have made the windshield double-hinged to fold underneath, just to look better.
  • I wish the fantastic box were reusable for storage. Since Megatron was just strapped onto the cardboard like a Frankenstein on a lab table, instead of being nestled in plastic that would be helpful in a future move, it's not something I really want to keep around--even though it looks so good!
  • The backpack comes unattached in box, with no instructions for assembly. I tried to clip it on the hinge, but it wouldn't fit easily, and I didn't want to damage the light/thin plastic by forcing it. I ended up using a tiny screwdriver to take it apart it and reassemble it on the hinge. I recommend doing the same.
Generally, I'd say if you think you'll like this toy, you probably will. I think it's pretty cool, if imperfect.

Last edited:

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
ChessPieceFace did a good job summarizing the Megatron H.I.S.S. Tank. I largely think the same. Especially about the windshield in robot mode. I was also astounded (in a bad way) that the Baroness has an old G.I. Joe design, complete with rubber waist. Have G.I. Joe figures not changed these past 30+ years outside of the Classified series? Megatron isn't easy to get into vehicle mode, but looks good when you get it right. Some better connections on the treads would have helped the transform a lot. I expect people to be disappointed if they expected a lot. I'm disappointed in the Baroness figure, but the Megatron is around what I expected and I'm fine with it.

Haywire

Citizen
I was also astounded (in a bad way) that the Baroness has an old G.I. Joe design, complete with rubber waist. Have G.I. Joe figures not changed these past 30+ years outside of the Classified series?

Hasbro has started to redo the 3-3/4" line in the old o-ring style this last year, so the Baroness from this set is one of those. I believe these are new molds recreating the old ones, not simple reissues.

Probably my biggest complaint (aside from price, but that's my problem) is that I think either Megatron should have been HISS black, or the HISS should have been Megatron silver. As it is, the HISS bits do not look that well-integrated with Megatron's robot mode, in my opinion.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Aren't the O-ring designs prone to breaking over time?

That's what people said was the inevitable fate of Energon Kicker, who also used the old Joe O-ring ("JO-ring"?) design.

Haywire

Citizen
Unless the torso is not made to come apart (don't remember on Kicker, but most Joes are held together with a small Phillips-head screw), the o-ring is easily replaceable, and readily available at any decent hardware store or auto parts supply. I don't remember the exact size (I feel like it's a 010 or 011), but it's a pretty common one. There are other points of failure on an o-ring Joe, but a broken o-ring is the most easily remedied.

Dake

Citizen
Yes, these are O-ring Joes because much like the Classic Star Wars and G1 Transformers, they've been redoing these for nostalgia purposes. The O-rings do break, but they last a looong time. I have plenty of my original figures still with their original O-rings. And for those that do break, replacements are cheap and easy to find at the hardware store. Lastly, with only a few exceptions (Zartan and his siblings back in the day, and some of the early-nineties figures with action features), they are very easy to replace.

Haywire just beat me to it :D

Last edited:

Echowarrior

Citizen
Unless the torso is not made to come apart (don't remember on Kicker, but most Joes are held together with a small Phillips-head screw), the o-ring is easily replaceable, and readily available at any decent hardware store or auto parts supply. I don't remember the exact size (I feel like it's a 010 or 011), but it's a pretty common one. There are other points of failure on an o-ring Joe, but a broken o-ring is the most easily remedied.

Kicker's torso was made to come apart, yes, but in order to get to the screw, you pretty much have to destroy that spark crystal in his back.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've always kinda wanted that High Wire / Kicker set (yes I know there's something wrong with me), so if there is any way whatsoever to replace that o-ring I'm interested.

Haywire

Citizen
I've always kinda wanted that High Wire / Kicker set (yes I know there's something wrong with me), so if there is any way whatsoever to replace that o-ring I'm interested.

The High Wire is not bad, but I honestly prefer the look of Armada High Wire over Energon. Would have really liked a larger-scale Armada Grindor, though. The whole Perceptor team, really.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
So my Megatron/H.I.S.S. Tank arrived today without a shipping box. I was able to pull the shipping labels off without damaging the artwork but it still sucked; they left a pretty nasty residue.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I've had to delay my plans to get a H.I.S.S. Megatron and a Striker Bumblebee due to my computer exploding and cost-wise taking a lot of my preorder ideas with it, but I might get lucky and find them on sale later, a lot of crossover stuff seems to have occasional discounts.

The talk on this thread reminds me of some of my favorite conspiracy theories...

49142725902_d4d90b0288_o.jpg

Top Bottom