Transformers (2007), Revenge of the Fallen, and Dark of the Moon are all cult classics.

Notomus

Unofficial Pope of Devconism
Citizen
Think about it, these films are still actively adored by a large following of dedicated fans with new merchandise rolling out.

Kaon

The 07 movie was what mainly got me into TFs. Before that movie I thought Transformers were dumb lol.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know if cult classic is the right word because the general public did seem to like them pretty well at the time. The Transformers fandom outright talked me out of seeing ROTF in theaters until some rando cashier in the real world talked me back into it.

We know Transformers is cool, but I think we've gotten numb to just how cool it is. Imagine walking into the 07 movie not really knowing what a Transformer is, not knowing there's two sides, not knowing how much characterization they should have, just watching that movie slowly lay it all out.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The best thing about the original trilogy was the IDW tie-in comics that helped tie everything altogether in a neater fashion and helped enhance the viewing experience of the movies themselves.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Revenge of the Fallen was a steaming pile due to the writer's strike. It's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't they basically spend the whole movie looking for something that the thing in Mikala's purse could have done?

I marginally liked #1 and #3 despite their flubs.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've grown to appreciate Revenge of the Fallen over the years. Considering what the writer's strike did to it, and all the production problems that ensued after that, it's downright heroic how close the whole thing gets to making sense. There is a discernible chain of events that kinda works if you squint. It doesn't come across as two unrelated films mixed together like AOE, or the dreamlike fog of TLK. It is a movie.

And in the unqualified success category, ROTF's fight choreography is still the best we've ever gotten. That alone was worth a trip to the nearest IMAX.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I likewise don't know about "cult classic", or even "classic". And this is coming from someone who's tried to defend the good in these for the last decade plus. There are just certain expectations brought up by the term that don't seem to really apply to these.

Which is fine; nothing really shakes the pivotal role these played in the franchise, or how 'good' the 2007 movie was for its time. And thanks to Barber et al on the comics end, the new worldbuilding that these made possible actually got some momentum for a while there.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, a "cult classic" is a movie that gained a devoted fan following much later after its initially disappointing performance in theaters.

The only live action TF movie that could possibly become a cult classic is The Last Knight, since all other live action TF movies did well in the theaters and were liked by the average moviegoer.

And with TLK being, well, TLK... that probably ain't happening.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I actually did overhear people out in the world praising TLK, and my showing was packed.

Maybe that's just Florida.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Wow, really? What did they say? Even I struggled with plucking out stuff I wanted to take from that movie.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nothing specific. They just thought it was really cool. Which for all I know it might have been. It's a blur to me.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Yeah, a "cult classic" is a movie that gained a devoted fan following much later after its initially disappointing performance in theaters.

The only live action TF movie that could possibly become a cult classic is The Last Knight, since all other live action TF movies did well in the theaters and were liked by the average moviegoer.

And with TLK being, well, TLK... that probably ain't happening.
I also think it would be really weird to call Transformers 5 a "cult classic" when Transformers 1 through Transformers 4 were mainstream successes.

Octavius Prime

UT Enthusiast
Citizen
Wow, really? What did they say? Even I struggled with plucking out stuff I wanted to take from that movie.
I myself really like TLK. It's just the most fun of the pre-Bumblebee movies, and it's got relatively minimal obnoxious content. The Arthurian stuff is really cool. I do hate that are seemingly never going to get a follow-up with "human" Quintessa and Unicron.

Top Bottom