Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

Corvus

Citizen
I hear you. I don't think we can vote our way out of the issues we face any longer. Not with the process so compromised by legal bribery, and with 40% of the nation so perfectly willing to repeatedly vote against their own best interests.

We are in deep, deep trouble.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It gets better: the trumpers are STILL pushing the big lie, and consequently convincing their voters to NOT go out and vote.

So: what are the heavily armed, entirely ignorant, and perfectly willing to kill people going to do when they get frustrated by a system that doesn't represent them because they don't vote?

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I hear you. I don't think we can vote our way out of the issues we face any longer. Not with the process so compromised by legal bribery, and with 40% of the nation so perfectly willing to repeatedly vote against their own best interests.

It gets better: the trumpers are STILL pushing the big lie, and consequently convincing their voters to NOT go out and vote.

So: what are the heavily armed, entirely ignorant, and perfectly willing to kill people going to do when they get frustrated by a system that doesn't represent them because they don't vote?

In a way, these two taken together makes it sound like they DON'T have to go out and vote to be "represented" if the people they would vote for are getting voted in anyways.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Like others, I have lost my faith in the system, my belief that we'll be able to vote our way out of anything. This merely confirms those worst fears.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
As I said in the GOP thread - all I can do is laugh the laugh of the victim.

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch it repeat.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
To be fair to the voters: trumpers are NOT the majority of the republicans party voters (though they do seem to be the majority of republican politicians.). The trumpers are simply loud and dumb.

You see the same thing in quebec politics. Seperation, as a cultural movement is at an all time low. The few who still legitimately want it are the last of the old ones. It's the same premise here: just much larger and seemingly much dumber.

Anonymous X

Citizen

You literally could be describing the UK there as well.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
The hell of it all, while yes I can trace the problems back to Regan and Goldwater, the real reason we're in this mess?

Dubya.
It all leads back to that shitheel's blood soaked hands. Because he was the Neocon poster boy, and when his Administration collapsed because the Neocons couldn't find their asses with both hands, a roadmap, and old native guide it opened the door to the Tea Party, which hindsight and knowledge have given us the benefit of knowing was a front for the goddamn Nazis.

All he had to do was be a little more competent and not appoint a cocking Horse Judging assistant as director of FEMA and literally all of this could have been avoided.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Actually in the US it goes back to the Civil war. When the north won, (and lets be honest the north did not have the cleanest history either) instead of stamping out the shit like "The south shall rise again!" and "The confederacy" they let people continue to fly the flags, continue to the talk... Until it became an "accepted" part of the culture, that has no infested many of the dumber people of our nation.

They should have stamped that shit right out. And before anyone screams "Heritage!" the confederacy was only around 4 years.... Transformers and Power Rangers have more heritage than it does.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Actually in the US it goes back to the Civil war. When the north won, (and lets be honest the north did not have the cleanest history either) instead of stamping out the shit like "The south shall rise again!" and "The confederacy" they let people continue to fly the flags, continue to the talk... Until it became an "accepted" part of the culture, that has no infested many of the dumber people of our nation.

They should have stamped that shit right out. And before anyone screams "Heritage!" the confederacy was only around 4 years.... Transformers and Power Rangers have more heritage than it does.

Not quite. It wasn't a regular part of things until the 1950s or so. that's when stuff like the confederate battle flag took off. The flag didn't even have any real presence until after WW2.
Though there was a wave back around 1900 apparently of the statues also, which was when the stuff you're talking about first came up.

I don't know that there was really anything they could have done at the end of the civil war to have made things better -at the time-, other than make sure the reconstruction stuff wasn't screwed up(IIRC that was a big mess). Now when this stuff started spiking in the 1900s, that would have been a good time to start saying "No." but it ultimately didn't happen.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Knowing that the insertion of "under God" into the pledge of allegiance happened when Confederate shit was so prevalent also makes me wonder if dividing the phrase "one nation indivisible" was considered a feature instead of a bug.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Really the problem was that we botched Reconstruction in every conceivable way. The deep south never really recovered economically AND the former slaves never got what was owed them ("forty acres and a mule" and all that).

All because Lincoln decided to "reach across the aisle" and make his running mate a Southern Democrat, and the guy Booth tasked with assassinating said Southern Democrat chickened out. We could have ended up with President Ben Wade, and hoo boy would history have gone differently then.

Kup

Citizen
As a teen I refused to say it in school because it felt like lying to me.

As an adult, I find it morally repulsive. The days I substitute taught were rough, because I had to “set an example” while also maintaining my own rights. Hated the morning pledge.

Top Bottom