Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Trump must be having a Cobra Commander-calibre tantrum right now. I pity any viewscreens he may be watching this whole thing unfold on.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Defying a subpoena is itself a crime, yes? The kind they can bust in and drag you off in handcuffs for?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I think it leads to a contempt charge, not an actual crime in and of itself... While I want him to be arrested for contempt: they won't. They'll never do it.

Pale Rider

Citizen
Pretty sure stealing classified documents is more grievous than defying a subpoena, but they didn't throw him in jail for that either.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Which begs the question: why the **** not? They subpeoned him about the documents in may, they enacted the subpeona in august proving he literally had the shit. It's now half october: anyone else would have been enjoying spa treaments in gitmo by labour day, why not this OBVIOUS criminal?

Nevermore

Citizen
I keep arguing that the reason this is taking so long is because whoever is ultimately going to be in charge of building the case against the orange shitgibbon wants to make it not just a 100 percent, but a 200 percent airtight case. This is the big one. If this one ends up failing due to a silly technicality because someone was in a hurry to rush to the finish line, the chance will never come again. So they're taking their sweet time to avoid anything that might end destroying the case against Forty-Five.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
They can rush innocent black people into life sentences: they can rush trump into a deserved sentence since WE ALREADY KNOW HE DID IT. It's LITERALLY on camera. There's a mile long paper trail and actual photographic AND video evidence from his own security systems. Literally enough evidence for an airtight case against anyone else in the western hemisphere.

Anyone other person would have been frog marched out in handcuffs the day the FBI went and got the papers back.

Edit: and in the hypothetical chance that he actually is innocent: plenty of innocent folk have waited for their day in court in jail due to existing circumstance. I'm pretty sure being a russian hand puppet and master of an actual attempted coup to overthrow american democracy qualifies as circumstance.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I have a theory, but you're not gonna like it. Biden might be looking ahead to the 2024 election and thinking "It'd be a lot easier for me to win this if Trump runs again, and he can't do that from behind bars."

wonko the sane?

Citizen
You're right, I don't like it.

Partly because it makes perfect sense. Even if Biden DOESN'T want to run come 2024, any democrat would have an easier time of it if trump was running, sheerly on how devisive he is for the republican party.

But it also sets a dangerous and ludicrous precedent that so long as you have an R next to your name: you can literally commit high treason and still be involved in government. It might make things easier for 2024, but it also makes sure american democracy collapses before 2100.

Pale Rider

Citizen
I have a theory, but you're not gonna like it. Biden might be looking ahead to the 2024 election and thinking "It'd be a lot easier for me to win this if Trump runs again, and he can't do that from behind bars."
I hate that, but it would be consistent with how they've been stealth-backing the GOP chud candidates in the primaries.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
If the GOP wins in November, they can disband the Jan 6 committee, then bury everything they've uncovered. Then, by double jeopardy laws, Trump couldn't be charged again for the same crimes. So unless the Dems win, it's counter-productive to charge him now.

So, y'know, vote.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Which begs the question: why the **** not? They subpeoned him about the documents in may, they enacted the subpeona in august proving he literally had the shit. It's now half october: anyone else would have been enjoying spa treaments in gitmo by labour day, why not this OBVIOUS criminal?

Because too many hands are in this particular cookie jar. It's a catastrophic failure at all levels. Too many people sought their own advantage by authorizing/ignoring Trump's behavior. Arresting Trump and formally charging him will result in a LOT of people on both sides of the aisle and at ALL levels being charged as a result.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Because too many hands are in this particular cookie jar. It's a catastrophic failure at all levels. Too many people sought their own advantage by authorizing/ignoring Trump's behavior. Arresting Trump and formally charging him will result in a LOT of people on both sides of the aisle and at ALL levels being charged as a result.
So a lot of criminals and enablers will get caught? Please explain to me how this is bad thing for the rule of law and government?

If they committed a crime, or enabled someone else to commit a crime, they need to be tried, and they need to be taken out of political power.

Edit: oh, you meant politicians, and being in the way. Which raises a whole host of other implications. Well, if justice in the US is that politicized, I hope we can all come to enjoy the apocalyptic what ever comes next when your economy collapses.

Last edited:

Top Bottom