Top reasons why Prime was a better leader then Hot Rod or Top Reasons why Hot Rod was (40th)

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
So lets hear it who was the better leader and why lets fight it it out

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Rodimus never had time to develop as a leader. He always had doubt and tried to fill the shoes of Optimus instead of just being his own leader.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
The problem in the toon is they never let Hot Rod grow up. He was supposed to go from a "Turbo revvin' young punk" to a mature leader, but they never let him get there and basically had him constantly whine about not living up to Optimus, being bored with leadership and bailing on the job whenever the opportunity presented itself. I think IDW threaded the needle a bit more where it was more Hot Rod just trying to be his own style of leader and not trying to be Optimus.

Truthfully, I think it's just evidence that the matrix of "leadership" is a terrible way to bestow leadership. It should be the "Matrix of Wisdom" or someting. Let the Autobots vote for a leader, dammit.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Optimus never got to properly grow up either. He was gunned down as the naive youngster Orion Pax, and then Alpha Trion rebuilt him into the paragon of perfection Cybertronian Superman named "Optimus Prime", robbing him of any time to mature naturally, instead being programmed as a perfect adult from the get-go.

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
Rodimus was a better leader (in the moments he could set aside his self-doubt). He was put in a position he wasn't prepared for, forced into it, in fact because of being the Matrix bearer. Despite that he stepped up and became the leader the Autobots needed.

Optimus was a better military commander.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Ultra Magnus was the best leader. He was not prepared, not groomed for it, and had leadership thrust upon him. He took on the role anyway and did a great job (until he was drawn and quartered). But still, I admire the guy for stepping up and [briefly] taking command.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My baseless speculation is that the Matrix didn't want a mature leader like Optimus. Hot Rod was chosen because of his "Turbo revvin' young punk" qualities, not in spite of them. His impulsiveness, refined a bit into decisiveness, was what the Autobots happened to need at the time.

But this idea is never conveyed, because Ultra Magnus is entirely decisive throughout TFTM, and his decisions mostly work.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Eh, his decisions are the obvious moves that any autobot leader would make, IMO. He just wasn't leader long enough to get a good idea of his long-term skills in the role.

Well, most of his moves. His big one was trying and failing to open the matrix, getting destroyed for his effort and the Matrix winding up in Galvatron's hands. Literally the worst possible thing that could have happened and things were only saved becuase Galvatron is a vindictive bastard and wanted to make Unicron pay and so didn't destroy the Matrix when he had the chance.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Rodimus Prime's first two acts (before even been officially recognized as leader) were to incapacitate the Decepticon leader for longer than Optimus ever managed to, and to defeat the greatest threat the Transformers ever faced in their entire history.

And the change between Cybertron's state at the end of TFTM and the beginning of season 3 suggests that his offscreen peacetime leadership was similarly impressive.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Can I just say I really liked how Rodimus Prime got to be his own leader in ReGeneration One?

Optimus knew there was something in Hot Rod, took him under his wing, and then when he had to go finish up business on Earth, let him fly and turn into Rodimus Prime.

I always loved this part:

1707811792273.jpeg

It definitely reignited my love for the character, enough that getting the Kingdom version was a total no-brainer (though to be fair, it probably was, anyway), and I feel like he got a better shake than the cartoon wound up giving him.

Top Bottom