Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
That's fine. Trust the publication who's only reason to exist is to say positive things about the thing you like.

Plus, if you read my comments on this season on the episodes I've watched they are very objective.
I was happy to declare the caveat of the publication's bias. My main point is that I was talking about RANKING, and you didn't even seem to respond to that, continuing with the same doom and gloom as the rest of your posts.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't think Kalidor is being unfair to Doctor Who, I have the same feelings. And it has nothing to do with the Doctor being a woman and everything to do with the downturn in writing that coincided with it. The show became barely watchable and that just isn't good enough for me. I'm hoping the new old showrunner brings back my interest because I miss the show when it was good.

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
I feel bad for Jody honestly. She never really had much to work with. The writing was better in Flux than anything Chibnall had done previously. Not stellar, at all, mind you, but better.

Glitch

Citizen

ANDREW CARTMEL THINKS TIMELESS CHILD “DEPLETES THE MYSTERY” OF DOCTOR WHO​

Classic era script editor, Andrew Cartmel, has criticised “The Timeless Children” canon changes, arguing he believes it “depletes the mystery” of Doctor Who.

Speaking on The Legend of the Traveling TARDIS Radio Show, Cartmel said: “I think as soon as we delve into the minutiae, into the fine detail, of what Chibnall’s done… Chibnall’s obviously done a reset on it, which is great, but as soon as you start to specify that reset you’re back in the same old problem that you’re explaining too much. You just want to say ‘what you thought you knew was going on you didn’t, it’s much more than that’, and leave it there.”

As classic fans will recall, Cartmel himself planned to implement a backstory for the Doctor during his time on the show, affectionately known today as the “Cartmel Masterplan”. However, Cartmel wanted to only tease the Doctor’s background, retaining the mystery. He thinks “The Timeless Children” is “too detailed”.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There's not a single redeeming quality about the Timeless Child. Hopefully it will be silently retconned out in the same way him being "half human" was, if not outright "revealed" that it was all a ruse.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I feel at best it'll just never be mentioned again after this era and in five years the fandom will have some new thing to get mad about.

Look we all know we will.

Glitch

Citizen
"Calling them Cyberpersons now? feminized Daleks? The Doctor's now a twelve year old? REALLY? PC nits!"

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"The Doctor's now a twelve year old?"

You jest, but if it the "old man trapped in their childhood body" was done as well as Five from Netflix's Umbrella Academy, I would totally watch that.

I need to catch up on Who. I started fading out towards the end of the Capaldi era. I loved him as the Doctor, but the episodes were getting consistently weaker. Missed the last few of his run and didn't want to see any new ones until I did. From what I've heard, though, the writing has not much improved.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
"Calling them Cyberpersons now? feminized Daleks? The Doctor's now a twelve year old? REALLY? PC nits!"

Won't stick, it sounds lame, likely in the next era, it be not mentioned and forgotten within a few years unless something really stupid happens again and the fandom ups and quits the show out right!

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Ive only seen Jodie's first season and the New Year special, so Im kind of behind here, but I really feel like she is a fantastic Doctor paired with the wrong stories. This Doctor has a joy and energy that is wasted on episodes that are just real downers.
Imagine Jodie in an episode like The Doctor Dances or The Curse of the Black Spot, or even Time Heist? If she were allowed to actually succeed at saving someone, she would be awesome! The Doctor doesnt have to save everyone, but if they cant at least save someone, whats the point?
Instead, she gets stories like Rosa, which is on the one hand an important moment in Civil Rights history, but on the other hand is SO important that the Doctor and Co literally have to sit and watch and do nothing. Or theres the one with Yaz's Grandmother(?), which felt like a rehash of the Twice Upon a Time special without the happy ending. Or even the Spider episode, where the villain kind of won. At least she got to save some planets in the series finale.

I say all that to say, I do hate to see Jodie go before she had a chance at some scripts from a different writing team.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I think most people agree that Jodie Whitaker was a great Doctor with some lousy scripts.

...holy crap, is this poetic justice or irony? Chris Chibnall went on television talking about how the show was being ruined by the people in charge, and now people are on the Internet talking about how Chris Chibnall is ruining the show.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
...holy crap, is this poetic justice or irony? Chris Chibnall went on television talking about how the show was being ruined by the people in charge, and now people are on the Internet talking about how Chris Chibnall is ruining the show.

What goes around, comes around, as they say!

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I think most people agree that Jodie Whitaker was a great Doctor with some lousy scripts.

So far as I'm able to determine, "people on the Internet" were much the same about Moffett and Davies.

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
Nothing is perfect, and all the writers and show runners have faults. But I have a hard time thinking of anything that I like at all out of the Chibnall run.

I know there must be something, but right now I'm coming up blank.

Edit: as far as writing goes, I mean to say.

Top Bottom