Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

Glitch

Citizen
I did appreciate the callback to Strax with the Sontaran in the Newsagents going crazy for confectionary.

electricidad

Citizen
So like
Is most of the universe just ******* gone? Obviously hoping the 2022 specials deal with that but it's a bit weird like 'Yeah we did it, we stopped the Flux we're all safe now except for all of the universe that was destroyed by it.'

Overall though I did enjoy it, probably a solid 7/10 to me.
I HAD THE SAME THOUGHT. Wasn't there a shot of Jupiter getting destroyed in the season premier? Like,
Ithey didn't UNDO the Flux's damage, they just saved Earth and destroyed fleets of Cybermen, Sontarans and Daleks. Swarm had a line about how they were going to destroy the universe, rewind it, then watch it again. I figured that was how the Doc was going to restore the universe, when Swam and company were rewinding the Flux. But I guess. . .not?

That was really my only nitpick. I love it when the Doctor uses an enemy's power against them, and that happened in this episode. There were A LOT of balls in the air, and I felt this episode juggled them sufficiently. Jodie nailed her performance, over and over tonight. I want another season with her as the Doc, but with RTD as showrunner.

I had major doubts going in, but I thought it delivered a solid Flux finale.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm not surprised. I've never really been wowed by the writing in Doctor Who, which is odd as the BBC/UK has some fantastic writers. I can remember more of the plot from Star Trek than Doctor Who.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I wish I had the energy to for a more articulate review, but all I can really say is "That was dumb"

This entire season had no coherent story and was really just a bunch of scenes stitched together. The last episode was as disjointed as the first and nothing really "happened" outside of the random scenes that formed 6 hours of television.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I mean I enjoyed the first half of the flux event but yeah the back half.. not so much. The finale felt really underwhelming and like it left a lot of problems. Also just questions on peoples actions in the end.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I wish I had the energy to for a more articulate review, but all I can really say is "That was dumb"

This entire season had no coherent story and was really just a bunch of scenes stitched together. The last episode was as disjointed as the first and nothing really "happened" outside of the random scenes that formed 6 hours of television.

I'm ready for a new writer.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Unfortunately, we're not getting one.

Don't get me wrong, RTD is the man who revived Doctor Who for modern television.
He's also the man who gave us "Suddenly Daleks" as the bad guys of all but one series finale, and the one where it wasn't Daleks it was the Master and the pseudo-Daleks.
He also gave us the "Lonely God" Doctor.
The Companion Loves the Doctor.

Like I think the new series is going to be a mark increase from the writing that's steadily been plummeting in overall quality for three Doctors now (Smith might be my personal favorite, but even I have to acknowledge there's been a decrease in overall episode quality for a long, long time). And in all fairness to RTD, Series 3 (With the exception of "Last of the Time Lords") is wall-to-wall superb stories. Even the goofy Dalek-Human Hybrids mid-series was just damn solid Who. I think that's really why the finale sucks as badly as it does, because the rest of the series was just so damn stellar.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just throwing this out there, the studio RTD founded Bad Wolf productions, is pretty much taking control of Doctor Who and the BBC is basically marketing it, however, the studio has been snapped up by Sony, so it could be a question of "Will this truly be profitable, long term for them?" Of course, they might pretty much mandate that the studio focus on telling good stories as this age of stupidy, is finally crashing to an end as companies see that there is little profit in handfisted means of Diviserty and inclusion! I'm honestly surprised that the BBC let Doctor Who get as bad as it has done, with Jode the series had a bump for her first ep in terms of ratings, but then everything pretty much went downhill to the point where her run is one of the worse in terms of ratings, then again, I got fed up during her first season, it wasn't exciting or entertaining, it was down right boring, sure they can give themselves a pat on the back for the Rosa ep but honestly, I was a pretty daft ep in terms of story! Clearly production values dropped majorly once Capdli left the series, but then, I don't think the outgoing showrunner is even capable of writing good sci-if, I'll try out RTD first ep of his second run but if I am not feeling the series, I'll likely no longer bother to watch it, I really think the BBC should just scrap these speicals, do the regeneration and let the dust settle on a bad run, I did watch a few of Jode's eps and it was after the Kablam man ep, I just quit, it wasn't great, sure it was a nice throw back to Smith with the Fez hat but the ep wasn't really great. I did try Spy fall and it was one of the daftest stories yet, during my first watch of part 1, I fell asleep, rewatched it later but wasn't really impressed with the story, the actor playing the Master wasn't great, he had nothing to really feel like something worth wild, I prefered the previous two Masters or rather Master & Missy as they were talented people who could preform and give a good preformance!

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
In literally no universe will the BBC scrap the 2022 specials because they've already finished filming them. Why would they go 'Yeah I know we've already spent a bunch of money filming these things, but just toss 'em into the same fire we tossed The Feast of Steven into'?

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I wonder if it would have been a better idea to use the 3 specials to allow each of the doctors to play out into a longer storyline with less jumping between them. At least it would have given more time to resolve what feels like a rushed finale

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Unfortunately, we're not getting one.

Don't get me wrong, RTD is the man who revived Doctor Who for modern television.
He's also the man who gave us "Suddenly Daleks" as the bad guys of all but one series finale, and the one where it wasn't Daleks it was the Master and the pseudo-Daleks.
He also gave us the "Lonely God" Doctor.
The Companion Loves the Doctor.

Like I think the new series is going to be a mark increase from the writing that's steadily been plummeting in overall quality for three Doctors now (Smith might be my personal favorite, but even I have to acknowledge there's been a decrease in overall episode quality for a long, long time). And in all fairness to RTD, Series 3 (With the exception of "Last of the Time Lords") is wall-to-wall superb stories. Even the goofy Dalek-Human Hybrids mid-series was just damn solid Who. I think that's really why the finale sucks as badly as it does, because the rest of the series was just so damn stellar.
No, Davies IS the "new" writer. By "new", I meant "another".

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Everyone keeps complaining that Who is dropping in ratings, without taking into account that television ratings, in general, are lower now than they used to be. Who still consistently rates among the top of all British television in the weeks in which it is on. Surely that matters more than a reduction in pure eyeballs glued to sets in an era where fewer eyeballs are glued to sets to start with.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The way I understand the British ratings for Doctor Who it takes into account the first night number and then the "consolidated" numbers which add in view on demand, streaming on devices, etc to account for that. And the ratings are still historically low, even when you consider the other means of viewing the show than first night views.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The way I understand the British ratings for Doctor Who it takes into account the first night number and then the "consolidated" numbers which add in view on demand, streaming on devices, etc to account for that. And the ratings are still historically low, even when you consider the other means of viewing the show than first night views.

And that is furrier proof that people are bored of the show under its current head writer, the ratings are basically tanking because people don't like what they are seeing, so the BBC pretty much giving RTD complete creative control of the show, is a sign that they are desperate to get the numbers back up as Jode's run has been a disaster for them and bare in mind that the BBC considers Doctor Who to be one of their flagship programs, yet the ratings are showing people don't like this verison of Doctor Who, they had a bump when Jode first entered the Tradis but since then, they have contuined to nose dive for the most part and its a far cry from when the show was at its highest ratings and that was the Christmas ep with Space Titanic, thou that had a pop star playing a major role within the ep to help boost ratings!

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Lower ranking vs. other shows the BBC is showing? I don't think that's the case. The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (which, of course, has an interest in making things look positive, I'm sure) paints a very different picture than you do (and, bluntly, I don't really trust you, since I haven't seen you say a positive thing about Who in forever).

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's fine. Trust the publication who's only reason to exist is to say positive things about the thing you like.

Plus, if you read my comments on this season on the episodes I've watched they are very objective.

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
And that is furrier proof that people are bored of the show under its current head writer, the ratings are basically tanking because people don't like what they are seeing, so the BBC pretty much giving RTD complete creative control of the show, is a sign that they are desperate to get the numbers back up as Jode's run has been a disaster for them and bare in mind that the BBC considers Doctor Who to be one of their flagship programs, yet the ratings are showing people don't like this verison of Doctor Who, they had a bump when Jode first entered the Tradis but since then, they have contuined to nose dive for the most part and its a far cry from when the show was at its highest ratings and that was the Christmas ep with Space Titanic, thou that had a pop star playing a major role within the ep to help boost ratings!

you really need to look up how to use a period in a sentence.

Top Bottom